Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's comments on the O-line « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: December 30, 2008, 02:09:24 PM

The first order of business, though, may be to take care of their own.

Nine starters are headed for unrestricted free agency, including quarterback Jeff Garcia, wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Michael Clayton, tight end Jerramy Stevens and strong safety Jermaine Phillips. Linebacker Derrick Brooks turns 36 next year and cornerback Ronde Barber 34. Wideout Joey Galloway, the three-time 1,000-yard receiver who was invisible this season, is 37.

There is no young quarterback being groomed for the future. Warrick Dunn, 33, was the leading rusher, and the club's two promising younger backs, Earnest Graham (ankle) and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams (knee), will be coming off surgeries to repair season-ending injuries.

And defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is leaving after 13 seasons, with secondary coach Raheem Morris, 34, already announced as his successor. Lucky him. He gets to take over a unit that gave up an average of 189 rushing yards and nearly 31 points over the last four games with a playoff berth on the line.

That's a lot of potential change.

Uncertainty, too.

"I don't think it's fair to look back right now ... or ahead," nose tackle Chris Hovan said while unpacking his locker Monday. "I think we all just need to get away from it for a while."

Gruden cited his young offensive line as one of the encouraging areas of his team.

That would be the line that had a hand in 23 sacks over the last six games and did not block for a 100-yard rusher the last 10 games of the season.

There is work to be done.

"[Going] 9-7 is no disgrace, but the way we finished is disappointing, to say the least," Gruden said. "I'm going to take responsibility for that."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsbucs30123008dec30,0,3146879.story

I'm going to read that and say (optimistically) that the only place that is safe from turnover this offseason is the offensive line...

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 30, 2008, 02:12:30 PM

Everyone rails on the OL but they're the least of the problems

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 30, 2008, 02:14:11 PM

People rail on the OL because we aren't seeing the dominant force we expected after such a huge investment

acacius

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 30, 2008, 02:14:43 PM

The fact that this is probably true doesn't exactly say good things about the team.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 30, 2008, 02:18:40 PM

The fact that this is probably true doesn't exactly say good things about the team.

I posted it incorrectly, that does sound bad.

The OL is fine, I like what they've done so far. The Bucs have never had a good OL and now it's a strength, they just need a QB and a DT and this team will be fine.

The offense will be top 5 in the league if given a QB who can sit in the pocket and go through his progression (turst his protection), I have no doubt about it after seeing the millions of wide open WR's Garcia missed on this year.

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

#5 : December 30, 2008, 02:25:17 PM

I think most of the pass blocking issues this O-line had can be attributed to the "Fire Drill" at the QB position.  Our opponents were content with stacking the box, shutting down the run, putting us in long 3rd down and distance situations, and giving up the occasional big play over the top.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 30, 2008, 02:29:28 PM

Agree the O-line is a bright spot on the team, along with the secondary.

I have faith in the pass blocking (Garcia ran into many sacks) but the run blocking was really disappointing this year - especially in short yardage situations. I expected more push from the big nasties.

#7 : December 30, 2008, 02:33:33 PM

I'll go one step further and say the offensive line is easily the best unit on our entire team. They're young, big, athletic and obviously they're still learning. Donald Penn doesn't get the respect he deserves. Many people didn't jump on the Donald Penn bandwagon and I dont blame them, but we have ourselves a good LT that we could lock up for fairly cheap.

#8 : December 30, 2008, 02:36:17 PM

Pass-blocking was superb, except for a game or two. Garcia runs into sacks and Griese doesnt get rid of the ball quick enough. Run blocking was very inconsistent.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 30, 2008, 02:44:02 PM

I'll go one step further and say the offensive line is easily the best unit on our entire team. They're young, big, athletic and obviously they're still learning. Donald Penn doesn't get the respect he deserves. Many people didn't jump on the Donald Penn bandwagon and I dont blame them, but we have ourselves a good LT that we could lock up for fairly cheap.

Lock up for fairly cheap?  What makes you think that?

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 30, 2008, 03:27:45 PM

I am pretty sure that no one in the history of the NFL even spent as high a draft picks or as much money to the 4 non LT positions as the Bucs did.

Anyone who watched this group get destroyed on most 3rd and shorts and the penalties knows that they are not "fine."   Factor in the record investment and no one can be content with this journeyman caliber group. 

Best unit on the team, yes.  Fine, No. 

#11 : December 30, 2008, 03:38:34 PM

bradentonian - Penn has stated that he wants to stay here, I think we can lock him up for a pretty good deal considering how well he's been playing. Im not saying its gonna be cheap but it would be a good deal for both sides.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 30, 2008, 03:43:34 PM

I am pretty sure that no one in the history of the NFL even spent as high a draft picks or as much money to the 4 non LT positions as the Bucs did.

Really? Care to list the "historic" spending and draft picks and compare them with other NFL teams?

I'm happy the FO has built this team starting with the OL, next should be the DL along with landing a QB. That is building for long-term success.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 30, 2008, 03:51:19 PM

Really? Care to list the "historic" spending and draft picks and compare them with other NFL teams?

I'm happy the FO has built this team starting with the OL, next should be the DL along with landing a QB. That is building for long-term success.

Knock yourself out, but you will not like what you find.  They have absolutely spent a record for those 4 positions:

For fun, here is what teams with real front offices have spent on lines that are legitimately top caliber, not in the land of make believe.

1993 Dallas Cowboys:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/1993_roster.htm

1983 Washington Redskins:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/1993_roster.htm

2007 NYG:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007_roster.htm

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 30, 2008, 03:54:47 PM

LOL, you're going to go back to the 93 Cowboys?

Again, I like the additions to the OL. It was payoff for years to come
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's comments on the O-line « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools