Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

psymun

Starter
« : January 17, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »

I decided to look at the whole Calvin Johnson vs. Joe Thomas vs. Gaines Adams thing in a different way...

His VALUE...

A player like Calvin Johnson is good value even as the 1st overall pick in the draft. The reason being, he is a supreme talent.

IF a player like Calvin Johnson falls to us at #3 or #4... That would be INCREDIBLE value for an INCREDIBLE football player...

Are you still with me?

What kind of value do you think that would be for a team like say, um... the Minnesota Vikings? The ones that own the 7th pick in the draft...

Let's see... And this is just a guess... but IF they're interested enough, we could possibly get them to give us their 1st and 2nd... for our 1st... and that would give us the ability to POSSIBLY acquire up to 4 players that could be huge contributors in their first year...

1. Jamaal Anderson/Gaines Adams
2. Jon Beason
2b. Robert Meachem (crossing fingers)
2c. Brandon Mebane
3. Brian Leonard
4. Brandon Merriweather

Ok, now... the pick of Rober Meachem i'm sure has a few of you puzzled... but look at it this way:

1. Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 6-5 235 4.45
  2. Dwayne Jarrett USC 6-5 210 4.60
  3. Jeff Samardzija Notre Dame 6-5 218 4.60
  4. Ted Ginn, Jr. Ohio St. 6-0 180 4.30
  5. Sidney Rice South Carolina 6-4 202 4.45
  6. Dwayne Bowe L.S.U. 6-3 217 4.55
  7. Robert Meachem Tennessee 6-3 210 4.45

He is ranked as the 7th-8th receiver in the draft even though he has 1st round talent. Great size and speed, and excellent RAC ability...

My point is... Thanks to the Jr. entries... we can still get a first round talent WR in the 2nd round. Not all 7 of those receivers are going to go in the 1st... And I for one would like to have any one of them...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 17, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »

I'd love to get the Vikings involved. I think they are the most likely team to be interested in Johnson. Even though Childress is supposedly against 1st round receivers, that team doesn't have a lot of other holes.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #2 : January 17, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »

Brian Leonard in the 3rd? That's weird.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #3 : January 17, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »

i could see the 49ers or vikings trying to nab him, but the cost would be so high i doubt anybody would do it

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 17, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »

As much as I love CJ, I wouldn't be opposed to this happening.  I mean we could get some huge incentives if our pick rolls around and Calvin's still on the board.  For the good of the team, right?

« #5 : January 17, 2007, 03:39:59 PM »

I like the pick of either Joe Thomas or CJ.  So far as of right now, I'm not 110% sold on anyone else like I am these two.  That being said, this draft is deep at DT/DE/WR.  I've been saying that it would seem that we could trade down and get significant value.  Having three 2nd rounders would be nice, and it might even be four if Sim goes somewhere.

« #6 : January 17, 2007, 03:45:32 PM »

I like the pick of either Joe Thomas or CJ.  So far as of right now, I'm not 110% sold on anyone else like I am these two.  That being said, this draft is deep at DT/DE/WR.  I've been saying that it would seem that we could trade down and get significant value.  Having three 2nd rounders would be nice, and it might even be four if Sim goes somewhere.

Agree  100%

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #7 : January 17, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »

If you look at the trade value chart, depending if the Bucs pick 3rd or 4th 2,200 or 1,800 for the Vikes 7th which is 1,500 and thier 2nd round pic which is 510 for 2,010 he trade would be fair.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #8 : January 17, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »

If we trade down we could also have plenty of picks to jump back into the late first if there was somebody interesting that dropped. Trade back with the Vikings, draft Adams or Jamaal, then use the 2nd and 3rd to jump back into the 20-25 range. It's kind of like the 1996 draft.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #9 : January 17, 2007, 04:19:08 PM »

Although I am following your logic here I don't agree with it.

Is it good to get a 1st round WR talent in the 2nd round? Sure is. Is it good to get a bunch of guys who could contribute in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Sure is. But think about that for a second, and then think about this. You get those bunch of guys and they make your team alright. They all end up being decent but not gamebreaker type players. You passed up on Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas. Calvin Johnson ends up being an absolute gamebreaker WR. He transforms games and he makes teams double team him therefore freeing up the other WRs and TEs a lot. He makes the team instantly better. Joe Thomas goes on to become an Ogden type of player. He anchors the line for years. He slows down the rush and makes whoever the QB is behind him a ton better. He instantly made the team better.

There is the possibility with both Thomas and Johnson that they will be absolute gamebreakers. You most likely aren't going to find gamebreakers like that with those extra 2nd round picks you aquire. Do you want to sacrifice that in order to get a few extra players?

Would you sacrifice having Peyton Manning for having Rex Grossman and Brian Kelly? I wouldn't.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #10 : January 17, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »

And once again, we are not going to be trading down so don't get your hopes up.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #11 : January 17, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »

There is the possibility with both Thomas and Johnson that they will be absolute gamebreakers. You most likely aren't going to find gamebreakers like that with those extra 2nd round picks you aquire. Do you want to sacrifice that in order to get a few extra players?

Those later guys could be gamebreakers too. It's tough to say. Looking at our team, I don't see one guy coming in and winning games like that. With as weak a team overall as we have, it might be better to get more players.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 17, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »

I wouldn't mind trading down to get an extra 2nd rounder, then packaging 2 2nd rounders to sneak back into the 1st.

« #13 : January 17, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »

Would you sacrifice having Peyton Manning for having Rex Grossman and Brian Kelly? I wouldn't.

I agree with you to an extent, but what you're still working with.  Even if CJ looks great, there is, statistically, a chance he does nothing in the league.  There is a greater chance that a 2nd rounder busts, but it's still a percentage.

The other question: would you trade Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding and Roman Oben?

Two extremes, obviously, but indicative of the range of possibilities.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #14 : January 17, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »

I agree with you to an extent, but what you're still working with.  Even if CJ looks great, there is, statistically, a chance he does nothing in the league.  There is a greater chance that a 2nd rounder busts, but it's still a percentage.

The other question: would you trade Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding and Roman Oben?

Two extremes, obviously, but indicative of the range of possibilities.

Mike Vick was a once in a decade gamebreaker. Chargers got the better of that deal.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools