Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

psymun

Starter
#15 : January 17, 2007, 04:50:01 PM

OpTiOnMaStA...

While your point is valid... there is no way you can say JT or CJ are can't miss players... NO player is a "can't miss."

The key word that was in your post... the word POSSIBILITY is just that... it's a possibility...

Would you sacrafice Ryan Leaf for Tom Brady... I think you would....

All about possibilities...

If you turn 1 pick into 2... it increases your chances...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#16 : January 17, 2007, 05:12:02 PM

That all sounds nice but I don't see Meriweather falling to round 4.

psymun

Starter
#17 : January 17, 2007, 05:29:17 PM

I thought he'd be round 1... but a lot of mocks i've seen have him falling to late 3rd early 4th

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 17, 2007, 06:37:56 PM

I would rather have Calvin Johnson alone than Gaines Adams and Robert Meachem.  The guy is that good.

Mellow

Starter

#19 : January 17, 2007, 06:48:07 PM

OpTiOnMaStA...

While your point is valid... there is no way you can say JT or CJ are can't miss players... NO player is a "can't miss."

The key word that was in your post... the word POSSIBILITY is just that... it's a possibility...

Would you sacrafice Ryan Leaf for Tom Brady... I think you would....

All about possibilities...

If you turn 1 pick into 2... it increases your chances...

Well said. 

But there's more: the POSSIBILITIES aren't random, they're more properly PROBABILITIES which depend on the position of the player.  WR is historically a difficult position to predict, which is why so many guys taken in R1 turn out to be busts--and why so many of the true stars at the position were found in lower rounds.   I've been wowed by CJ's college performances as much as anyone, but he's a WR whicih would make me very hesitant to spend a high R1 pick on him.  If someone else wants to take that gamble, and is willing to compensate the Bucs fairly for it, I'd be all over that trade.

psymun

Starter
#20 : January 17, 2007, 06:52:43 PM

I would rather have Calvin Johnson alone than Gaines Adams and Robert Meachem. The guy is that good.

So your telling me the team would be more improved with CJ than it would be with Adams AND Meachem?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 17, 2007, 06:53:48 PM

I would rather have Calvin Johnson alone than Gaines Adams and Robert Meachem. The guy is that good.

I would take Adams and Meachem all day and twice on Sunday.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 17, 2007, 07:17:14 PM

Yeah I do not know about that.  Meachem is a first round caliber WR that may slip due how deep the WR class.  If you can land Meachem with Gaines that would be intriguing to say the least.

Then again if you land CJ and Moses (first round talent that may slip) in the second round that is just as intriguing as well.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 18, 2007, 12:19:29 AM

The WR and DE prospects this year is a fairly deep class
WR
Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech
Dwayne Jarrett USC
Jeff Samardzija Notre Dame
Ted Ginn, Jr. Ohio St.
Sidney Rice South Carolina
Dwayne Bowe L.S.U.
Robert Meachem Tennessee
Anthony Gonzalez Ohio State

DE
Gaines Adams Clemson
Jamaal Anderson Arkansas
Quentin Moses Georgia
Charles Johnson Georgia
Jarvis Moss Flordia
Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame
Dan Bazuin Centeral Mich.
Anthony Spencer Purdue

T
Joe Thomas Wis.
Levi Brown Penn State

So if i was running the draft I would have to take the top rated Tackle on the Board and Draft Joe Thomas in the first. Then Grab Moss or Moses with the first second round pick and if the team was looking at a widereceiver with the second second round pick there are still good prospects to be had atr the widereceiver spot late in the second round.

Lets face it without protecting the quarterback and opening holes for the running game the offense will still struggle no matter who is under center. If you cant get pressure on the other teams quarterback and force him to throw the ball early and make mistakes the defense is going to struggle.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#24 : January 18, 2007, 12:53:31 AM

Yeah I do not know about that. Meachem is a first round caliber WR that may slip due how deep the WR class. If you can land Meachem with Gaines that would be intriguing to say the least.

Then again if you land CJ and Moses (first round talent that may slip) in the second round that is just as intriguing as well.

The draft would look many times better if the second scenario happened.

#25 : January 18, 2007, 01:59:04 AM

I decided to look at the whole Calvin Johnson vs. Joe Thomas vs. Gaines Adams thing in a different way...

His VALUE...

A player like Calvin Johnson is good value even as the 1st overall pick in the draft. The reason being, he is a supreme talent.

IF a player like Calvin Johnson falls to us at #3 or #4... That would be INCREDIBLE value for an INCREDIBLE football player...

Are you still with me?

What kind of value do you think that would be for a team like say, um... the Minnesota Vikings? The ones that own the 7th pick in the draft...

Let's see... And this is just a guess... but IF they're interested enough, we could possibly get them to give us their 1st and 2nd... for our 1st... and that would give us the ability to POSSIBLY acquire up to 4 players that could be huge contributors in their first year...

1. Jamaal Anderson/Gaines Adams
2. Jon Beason
2b. Robert Meachem (crossing fingers)
2c. Brandon Mebane
3. Brian Leonard
4. Brandon Merriweather

Ok, now... the pick of Rober Meachem i'm sure has a few of you puzzled... but look at it this way:

1. Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 6-5 235 4.45
 2. Dwayne Jarrett USC 6-5 210 4.60
 3. Jeff Samardzija Notre Dame 6-5 218 4.60
 4. Ted Ginn, Jr. Ohio St. 6-0 180 4.30
 5. Sidney Rice South Carolina 6-4 202 4.45
 6. Dwayne Bowe L.S.U. 6-3 217 4.55
 7. Robert Meachem Tennessee 6-3 210 4.45

He is ranked as the 7th-8th receiver in the draft even though he has 1st round talent. Great size and speed, and excellent RAC ability...

My point is... Thanks to the Jr. entries... we can still get a first round talent WR in the 2nd round. Not all 7 of those receivers are going to go in the 1st... And I for one would like to have any one of them...

good post, but your draft sucks. Leonard and Meriweather wont go that low. Beason? Meachem could be rated anywhere from the 2nd best WR in the draft or bthe 7th best.

goto11

Starter
#26 : January 18, 2007, 09:37:25 AM

I would rather have Calvin Johnson alone than Gaines Adams and Robert Meachem.  The guy is that good.

Who's draft profile is this?

One of the finest athletes to ever wear a [deleted] uniform … Consummate team player who is a sensational home-run threat bursting down the sidelines … Emotional leader who can handle hard coaching; he could be the ruler that future pro receivers are measured against … The tireless worker finished his career with 135 receptions for 2,821 yards (20.9 avg.) and 27 touchdowns in only 24 games...

It's for Charles Rogers who was selected #2 in 2003, a full 52 slots ahead of Anquan Boldin who is considered one of the best receivers in the league today.  "Consummate team player"?  "Tireless worker"?  Rogers was none of those things, yet he was all the rage pre-draft 2003.  Calvin Johnson looks great on paper and at Tech (I live in Atlanta, so I am fully immersed in the whole CJ craze right now) but I really don't like the idea of the Bucs taking him with such a high pick.  It's SO risky.  I've been watching Meachem for years now and can tell you he is less risky than Johnson, especially in the second round.  Meachem is quick, has great hands, sacrifices his body across the middle and has good fundamentals.  If he lasts into the second round (and it looks like he will now that Jarrett and Ginn declared,) the Bucs should take him and use their #1 pick defensively.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#27 : January 18, 2007, 09:49:20 AM

Yeah I do not know about that.  Meachem is a first round caliber WR that may slip due how deep the WR class.  If you can land Meachem with Gaines that would be intriguing to say the least.

You're leaving out the 2nd we would get in a trade down though. It would be something like Johnson and Moses, or then the other possibility is something like Adams, Meacham, and Rufus Alexander. I'll take the 2nd draft on that. More picks gives us more options.

psymun

Starter
#28 : January 18, 2007, 10:31:55 AM

Exactly...

1. Adams/Anderson
2a. Meachem
2b. Timmons/Beason/Alexander

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 18, 2007, 04:23:38 PM

So your telling me the team would be more improved with CJ than it would be with Adams AND Meachem?

Yes.  Calvin Johnson is that good.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools