Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#45 : January 19, 2007, 01:35:07 PM

But let's not give Charles Rogers too much credit. Larry Fitzgerald is another #2 pick receiver working for a cursed team, yet his work ethic has been great. So has Boldin's. Andre Johnson just had a career season for the still-failing Texans. Roy Williams isn't doing so bad for the Lions these days. Plenty of good receivers play for crap teams and still manage to rise above their surroundings. Scouts just plain missed on Rogers.

Note that all these teams still suck, even with the addition of stud receivers.  CJ is not the answer.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#46 : January 19, 2007, 01:40:15 PM

nobody is going to trade down, CJ or JT is going to be a buc, im leaning towards CJ, Gruden needs Simms to succeed

A solid line is much more important to Simms' success than a WR

true, but i dont even think Thomas will be a option, i think the lions take him

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 19, 2007, 01:43:44 PM

The Lions defense is in far worse shape than their offense. How long do you think Marinelli is going to stand for that? He's already had to stand by and watch Gruden ignore the defense in Tampa, now he has the chance to address his as he sees fit, and I think he might lean that way, somehow...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#48 : January 19, 2007, 02:40:02 PM

The Lions defense is in far worse shape than their offense. How long do you think Marinelli is going to stand for that? He's already had to stand by and watch Gruden ignore the defense in Tampa, now he has the chance to address his as he sees fit, and I think he might lean that way, somehow...

I think people are missing how big that contract the Lions gave Backus is. He's the 6th highest paid OT in the game. That is hard to bump a guy making that kind of jack.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#49 : January 19, 2007, 03:09:40 PM

Agreed Dal...JT has got to be the pick.  I think people are just tying us to CJ because JG is known as an offensive coach...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 19, 2007, 03:13:54 PM

I think people are missing how big that contract the Lions gave Backus is. He's the 6th highest paid OT in the game. That is hard to bump a guy making that kind of jack.

Not to mention that shuffling an OL, for the sake of adding a rookie, can be a bigger setback to unit cohesiveness than an advantage, especially for an impatient OC like Martz..

You Got BUCd Up

Second String

#51 : January 19, 2007, 04:13:30 PM

The only way I would pass on CJ21 and trade to the Dike's is if DWAYNE JARRETT or DWAYNE BOWE fell to us somehow in the 2nd. However, there are no guarantees...

"People make themselves out to be idiots... I'm just here to help them realize it."

Hallelujah holla back...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#52 : January 19, 2007, 09:14:58 PM

There is the possibility with both Thomas and Johnson that they will be absolute gamebreakers. You most likely aren't going to find gamebreakers like that with those extra 2nd round picks you aquire. Do you want to sacrifice that in order to get a few extra players?

Those later guys could be gamebreakers too. It's tough to say. Looking at our team, I don't see one guy coming in and winning games like that. With as weak a team overall as we have, it might be better to get more players.
  At the risk of sounding like a homer bigger than any gator fan in the state - just how far do you think the bucs have to go.

Okay - Pick Thomas and sign Steinbach to play center.  AD is now a back up guard, or perhaps starting LG.  Steinbach can play center AND make the calls.  Right away the OL is damn close to average.  And ... I sign Garcia to go with Simms.  Competition winner is likely Garcia, who makes the passing game go bc he can find the open recievers.  Noting with that Caddy is suddenly running for 100 yards a game again and my d is rested and playing better.

So I sign a DT, maybe the kid who got kicked out of FL for dope, maybe a FA DT.  Then maybe a decent draftee who plays DE, maybe Florida's jr. de who declared.  And sign a FA safety.  The team is healing very fast, facing an easier schedule.  And the degree of improvement in the turnaround is now enjoying the depth this FA period and draft brings, bc we only have a couple of guys to resign.  Not like others with more cap room who have more of THEIR OWN PLAYERS to resign.  It goes like that if it goes well.  JMHO

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson's VALUE (Not for CJ Fans) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools