Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush's 'War' On Terror Comes to a Sudden End « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 24, 2009, 12:51:30 AM

Obama is finally speaking out on Palestinian/Israel issue. Some (not all) of what he has said is definitely a welcome change from GWB...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iv8SVOaQWpLtcrj6fI3HjTinrc4A

In Washington, US President Barak Obama urged Israel to open Gaza border crossings to aid and commerce.

"Now we must extend a hand of opportunity to those who seek peace -- as part of a lasting ceasefire, Gaza's border crossings should be open to allow the flow of aid and commerce," Obama said.

In his first major comments on the Middle East conflict since he was inaugurated on Tuesday, he also called for a border monitoring regime involving the Palestinian Authority and the international community.

"Relief efforts must be able to reach innocent Palestinians who depend on them," Obama said.

Hamas must however stop firing rockets into Israeli territory, he said, strongly backing Israel's security.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 24, 2009, 12:52:50 AM

Seems like some of the Bush tactics still remain under Obama...

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-01/24/content_10710901.htm

ISLAMABAD, Jan. 23 (Xinhua) -- Ten persons were killed in a U.S. drone attack in Pakistan's tribal region on Friday, private TV channel Geo reported.

The U.S. drone fired two missiles in Wana area of South Waziristan tribal region bordering Afghanistan, said the report.

This is the second missile attack that occurred in Pakistan's tribal area on Friday.

Sounds more like a Clinton tactic to me.

Well, the same exact thing was occurring under GWB. That would make it a GWB tactic.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 24, 2009, 12:58:10 AM

Blaming it all on Bush is more fun anyway.  Who was I kidding?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 24, 2009, 01:04:41 AM

Blaming what on Bush? I'm saying the policy and tactics are the same. Can you dispute that with any evidence? Nope.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 24, 2009, 01:17:51 AM

I'm not sure what you want me to dispute? 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 24, 2009, 01:23:34 AM

Sounds more like a Clinton tactic? How about that one?

Amazing how people let their politics get in the way of reality.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 24, 2009, 01:35:32 AM

I think the better question would be, who was the last president to not fire a missile into a foreign country?

Are you asking for evidence that Clinton fired missiles into suspected training camps?

Does the Obama decision really come as  a surprise? It's all part of the plan.
Tough talk on Pakistan from Obama
Wed Aug 1, 2007 7:26pm EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0132206420070801?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 24, 2009, 09:22:45 AM

Blaming what on Bush? I'm saying the policy and tactics are the same. Can you dispute that with any evidence? Nope.

Bayfisher has a point.  If you're just going to go back to last regime, when previous regimes did the same, that's unfair.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 24, 2009, 12:03:20 PM

Bayfisher has a point.  If you're just going to go back to last regime, when previous regimes did the same, that's unfair.

Both of you missed the point. Go back as far as you like. Obama is not doing anything different in Pakistan. He's trying to kill bad guys. If you listen to the ones who were so vehemently against Obama getting elected, you would think that Obama would have done away with our military by now. Just scare tactics that were used over and over on the foreign policy front. It was crap. Unfortunately, a lot of people here were spewing it.

If Obama thinks he really can kill all of the terrorists, he's not any different than Bush or Clinton or whoever. That's one thing that is not encouraging to me. I'm hoping he realizes we need to find a new way. There were guys in Gitmo who were not part of Al Qaeda. But after how we treated them, once they were released, they went looking for the nearest AQ headquarters to sign up. Obama gets that part and it's one of the (many) reasons Gitmo is on it's way down.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 24, 2009, 12:46:34 PM

Both of you missed the point.

Maybe so, but you did specifically point out one former President out of many, so I guess the point was easily mistaken.

Gotcha now.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 24, 2009, 12:54:16 PM

Both of you missed the point.

Maybe so, but you did specifically point out one former President out of many, so I guess the point was easily mistaken.

Gotcha now.

Only reason I mentioned Bush is because Obama is in the same exact situation with Pakistan and doing the same exact thing as Bush did. That wasn't a slight on Bush. I don't think Clinton sent drones into Pakistan but maybe he did. I know he ALLEGEDLY bombed an aspirin factory in Sudan. Although, the evidence that came out later showed that it might have  been a chemical weapons plant. Then again, a lot of that happened during the Lewinsky stuf. Wagging the dog?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bush's 'War' On Terror Comes to a Sudden End « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools