Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Workout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

: January 28, 2009, 04:39:05 PM

Got any exercises that I can do to develop some upper body strength? I exercise 5 days a week; and I do crutches, situps, pushups, running, and a bit of lifting. Got any tips or exercises to develop upper body strength? 

#1 : January 28, 2009, 04:43:55 PM

dips, and if you really want to see improvements you need a weight lifting routine. Consistency is very important, stick to your routine. And you have to eat right

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 28, 2009, 04:45:32 PM

CJ what kind of equipment do you have access to?  Let me know if you have access to any weights, i can PM you some good info about upper body excercises

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

#3 : January 28, 2009, 04:46:54 PM

ICIT you are like the Prince and Puff Daddy of this board. You keep reinventing yourself

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 28, 2009, 04:47:38 PM

dips, and if you really want to see improvements you need a weight lifting routine. Consistency is very important, stick to your routine. And you have to eat right

Never heard of dips. You make a good point I need to be able to eat right. Bye Bye Burgers.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 28, 2009, 04:47:59 PM

I know, Prince is a pimp.  Purple rain baby.  Haha... I had no clue what to do with my name because I no longer trust in gruden or caddy so I figured I would switch it up

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 28, 2009, 04:49:18 PM

CJ what kind of equipment do you have access to?� Let me know if you have access to any weights, i can PM you some good info about upper body excercises

I don't have any weights at home but I hit the gym on Saturday's.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 28, 2009, 04:53:36 PM

CJ what kind of equipment do you have access to?� Let me know if you have access to any weights, i can PM you some good info about upper body excercises

I don't have any weights at home but I hit the gym on Saturday's.

ok cool

In that case I would say pushups should be your best friend.  Do yourself a huge favor and get a pullup bar as well, they're probably like 20 bucks

at the gym you should be starting out with basic bench press.  make sure you have a spotter, and someone who knows how to properly coach your form and technique.  If you dont have anyone to coach your technique, a simple google search will yield tons of good and basic info on proper form.

Once you feel comfortable doing simple lifts like bench press and biceps curls, you can start doing some shoulder press.  I am all about shoulders... so I do a ton of lifts over my head.  I like doing standing or sitting press... i keep the weight infront of my neck because i blew my shoulder out in HS football.  I also like doing cleans and explosive lifts when my back and shoulder feel good but I would not reccomend those lifts to a beginner or anyone who isnt very experienced with weight lifting.

#8 : January 28, 2009, 05:03:26 PM

one of the best tips I ever got is, you dont get big in the gym you get big in the kitchen. eating right is probably 75% of the equation. It really is true, and you will really realize it when you start combining proper diet with weight lifting/exercise. Try working out 3-4 days a week if possible, and also if you are trying to lose a little body fat and tone up your muscles it is important to workout your lower body too. Lower body workouts help your upper body grow as well. The lower body contains the largest muscles, and working out your legs will make your natural testosterone and growth hormone levels rise. This is big aspect of weight lifting that a lot of people overlook. It will also give you a very good cardio workout

^^dips

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#9 : January 28, 2009, 05:05:54 PM

Easy.

Wii Fit.

#10 : January 28, 2009, 05:24:01 PM

lol

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 28, 2009, 05:25:23 PM

Menshealth.com has some great workouts.  Check out their forum. 

PM me your email and I'll send you my routine.  Its a mass-building plan.  So far its really helped...up to 209 from 185 last summer.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 28, 2009, 05:30:51 PM

Got any exercises that I can do to develop some upper body strength? I exercise 5 days a week; and I do crutches, situps, pushups, running, and a bit of lifting. Got any tips or exercises to develop upper body strength?

Bench Press Pullups and Squats.  Barbell exercises are the quickest way to strentgh gains. 

kmitchell

Starter

#13 : January 28, 2009, 05:37:09 PM

One of my friends is a personal trainer, and gave me a good idea for a routine. Target 2 muscle groups for 30-45 minutes, then abs, and then jogging for 10-15 minutes.

Here is what I do.
Mon- Chest/Triceps, abs, jogging
Tues- Biceps/Shoulder, abs, jogging
Wed- Rest day
Thurs- Back/Legs,abs, bike
Friday- Beer
Saturday- Beer
Sunday- Biceps, shoulders, forearms, abs, jogging.

A trick for cardio on the treadmill is to put the incline at 15%, and then just walk at 3.5 mph. It burns more calories than running, builds more muscle, and it is easy.
Stay away from creatine, it will give you man boobs. But as mentioned above, the food you eat is very important, if you want fast food, get a chicken sandwich instead of a cheeseburger. Subway's $5 foot longs are a god send.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 28, 2009, 05:39:31 PM

I'd lay off the beer.  It's high in empty calories, and alcohol can have a negative effect on protein synthesis. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Workout « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools