Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Workout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

kmitchell

Starter

#15 : January 28, 2009, 05:40:54 PM

I'd lay off the beer.  It's high in empty calories, and alcohol can have a negative effect on protein synthesis. 

Beer is not leaving the routine! I made the compromise by doing abs and cardio 4 days a week.

#16 : January 28, 2009, 05:47:51 PM

Consistency is very important, stick to your routine.

It's just as important that you vary that routine at least every six weeks. Otherwise you plateau and you're just wasting your time.

And you have to eat right

Very good advice there.

Lower body workouts help your upper body grow as well. The lower body contains the largest muscles, and working out your legs will make your natural testosterone and growth hormone levels rise.

And more good advice. Of all the training I have ever done, none was more effective than High Intensity Interval Training. I'm assuming that you are a young man, Calvin, so this should be much easier for you than it was for me. Still, I'm going to start as if you're not in very good condition. Try this: Stretch! Very Important! I can not overemphasize this. Now run at about seventy percent of full speed for thirty seconds. Rest for ninety seconds, but keep moving. Walk as fast as you can. Now sprint at about ninety percent of your top speed for thirty seconds. Ninety seconds rest again. Repeat this until you've done six sprints total. On the last sprint, give it everything you've got. Be sure to stretch again afterward. Since each sprint and rest rep takes two minutes, the whole thing only takes twelve minutes. You should spend more time than that stretching.

Stay with this routine, but work on jogging during the rest period. Don't do this more than once every two days. Once you can jog during the rest period, work on lowering the rest period to sixty seconds. You'll probably have to revert back to a little bit of walking again. Once you've got that down, reduce the rest period to thirty seconds. You doing thirty second sprints and thirty seconds of jogging? Fantastic! Now it's only taking you six minutes plus stretching.

Work on adding reps. Take it all the way up to fifteen reps and you are Ironman my friend. Once you make fifteen reps of thirty seconds sprinting and thirty seconds jogging, take at least a month off and replace this with some other exercise.

A few things to remember:

Stretch! Ignore this and you will come up injured in a hurry.

The first sprint is done at seventy percent because it is also part of the warm up.

Stretching afterward is almost as important as stretching beforehand. It wouldn't hurt to walk a mile even after you stretch.

The last sprint is where it all happens. Give it all you've got. Destroy those quads.

Run with your arms. By this I mean focus on moving your arms faster and your legs will follow. Trust me on this, just try it.

This is not easy. The third time I went out to run I literally cried. Seriously. I sobbed like a little girl. It was nothing short of excruciating agony. But I was in my forties.

Like Ronde says, the largest muscles are in your legs. This exercise made my legs blow up in a hurry. It also raises your metabolism substantially for at least twenty four hours. I lost a pound every time I did this. Since my muscles were getting larger and heavier, it meant I was losing a lot of fat.

Not for the faint of heart. Good luck.

#17 : January 28, 2009, 05:50:03 PM

Oh, and let me add: drop the situps immediately. They're back destroyers. Do pullups and chinups.

#18 : January 28, 2009, 05:52:37 PM

Stay away from creatine, it will give you man boobs.

Link, please.

kmitchell

Starter

#19 : January 28, 2009, 06:10:49 PM

Stay away from creatine, it will give you man boobs.

Link, please.

Supposedly, there are no side effects besides dehyrdration, but two of my friends who started taking it, got them. The man boobs came almost a month after they started it.

#20 : January 28, 2009, 06:20:49 PM

Anecdotal evidence is less than satisfactory. I've taken Creatine myself on a number of occasions. It causes you to retain some water but not gynecomastia. I've never even heard such a thing before. I think you're confusing it with some of the old steroids.

kmitchell

Starter

#21 : January 28, 2009, 06:23:45 PM

They bought the same stuff I had, Cell-Tech. I didn't have any problems with it, besides the sh!ts sometimes. Side effects probably depend on the person.

#22 : January 28, 2009, 06:31:20 PM

I've used Cell-Tech as well, along with many thousands of other people. I find it a little odd that the only two people to experience these adverse effects both happen to be friends of yours. Color me unconvinced.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 28, 2009, 08:34:02 PM

illuminator... maybe if you are in amazing shape you can plateau from doing excerises 6 weeks in a row.  But if you are an average joe just starting out or you only work out causally its going to take alot longer to maximize potential and gains from any of those lifts than just 6 weeks.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 28, 2009, 08:37:54 PM

Sex is a great way to get an overall physical workout.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 28, 2009, 08:51:30 PM

Sex is a great way to get an overall physical workout.
and you can do it all by yourself... lol

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

#26 : January 28, 2009, 09:45:55 PM

illuminator... maybe if you are in amazing shape you can plateau from doing excerises 6 weeks in a row.  But if you are an average joe just starting out or you only work out causally its going to take alot longer to maximize potential and gains from any of those lifts than just 6 weeks.

Well, the hope would be that you adopt this as a lifestyle and not just a temporary thing. And boredom will set in a lot sooner than that. I like to switch things up frequently. It makes working out a lot more enjoyable and makes it a lot more likely that you'll stick with it.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#27 : January 29, 2009, 01:31:49 AM

Guns.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 29, 2009, 10:18:04 AM

"GUNS" is just wrong man..........just wrong.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 29, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

Oh, and let me add: drop the situps immediately. They're back destroyers. Do pullups and chinups.

Link, please?  Personally, I do sit ups, but on a decline bench.  It has actually helped strenthgen my core and eliminates my back spasms. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Workout « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools