Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions Fans want Rice and Kelly... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 19, 2007, 12:13:37 PM

That bolds well for us IMHO. I wouldn't really like to get rid of Kelly but if we could sign a FA CB such as Clements or Samuel then we would be fine.

Kelly and Rice a both great players but Rice is getting up there in age and at this point where we are as a franchise it makes more sense to drop Rice and build for the furture. If we were on the cusp of a title then I would want Rice but we aren't. Same sort of thing for Kelly. If we can get some compensation and get younger with a nice player or prospect then I'm all for it.

Baghead #2

Shag

Pro Bowler

#16 : January 19, 2007, 12:16:35 PM

Trade both of them for draft picks. Neither are the future of this defense, which we need to start putting together.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 19, 2007, 12:16:43 PM

yeah, this defense looked great without rice and kelly this year.  if we wanna get better, we should ship them out of town.

i mean, seriously - freeney and briggs are both still long shots with the money floating around the league, and we're not the pats, who have someone in the wings to step up at every position.  depth is a huge issue on this team right now, and you don't solve it by shipping out 2 of your biggest impact players.

prediction: if we ship either rice or kelly to the lions next year, their D will be ranked higher than us at the end of the '07 season.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 19, 2007, 12:20:12 PM

prediction: if we ship either rice or kelly to the lions next year, their D will be ranked higher than us at the end of the '07 season.

This year will be the last time we could get something for them. We can't keep putting off rebuilding the defense just keep good players around for another season.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 19, 2007, 12:20:38 PM

Ugh....as long as we don't replace Kelly with Juran Boldin again. (pukes in mouth a little)

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 19, 2007, 12:24:12 PM

That bolds well for us IMHO. I wouldn't really like to get rid of Kelly but if we could sign a FA CB such as Clements or Samuel then we would be fine.

Kelly and Rice a both great players but Rice is getting up there in age and at this point where we are as a franchise it makes more sense to drop Rice and build for the furture. If we were on the cusp of a title then I would want Rice but we aren't. Same sort of thing for Kelly. If we can get some compensation and get younger with a nice player or prospect then I'm all for it.

There is no "but" after that, they're both great players for this defense. Rice is getting older but dude was injured since game 4 when JP speared his ass. The FA list is slim, the D needs those players and remember, the cap room is including Rice's $$$. :)

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 19, 2007, 12:24:19 PM

Maybe they are but they won't be in 08...

I love both players but look it. Rice is getting older, his game is slowing down and he was on IR this year. You never hold onto a guy too long. Rice will be good next year, sure, I would say that but we are in a very critical time IMHO with the franchise. We have tons of cap rooom, the ability to add some serious young talent. We need to take full advantage of the opportunities that we have. If we could get a 2nd rounder for Rice I would do it in a 2nd because next year he won't be worth it.

Even if we have Rice back, do you really think that is going to put us into contention? No. We need to get good talent, get young and get better. Next year is not going to be our year so lets just move along with things.

Baghead #2

marlevr

Second String
#22 : January 19, 2007, 12:25:44 PM

Time to get what we can for them. If the Lions pack a 2nd and a 4th, bye bye.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 19, 2007, 12:26:29 PM

Ship them off, take the picks and rebuild from the draft and FA.

Like Cville said, we are in a rebuilding state at this point. This team is young on O and needs a lot more youth on D. BOth are impact players, but both are coming of IR and could be replaced.

Don't replace BK wuth Bolden though.. thats just painful.. PBuc might be a viable option.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 19, 2007, 12:27:08 PM

There is no "but" after that, they're both great players for this defense. Rice is getting older but dude was injured since game 4 when JP speared his ass. The FA list is slim, the D needs those players and remember, the cap room is including Rice's $$$. :)

So you think we should keep Rice and Kelly because, why? Because they are good players for this defense? They are good players but where are we going. Rice has 3 more years, tops! Probably 2 at a good level of play. Sure we will miss Rice but we won't in the 3 years...

Baghead #2

psymun

Starter
#25 : January 19, 2007, 12:28:20 PM

The thing that makes a team like the Patriots so good is knowing when to let go of a player...

#26 : January 19, 2007, 12:28:33 PM

I guess I don't see the Kelly hype. He might be the best cover corner we have but in terms of the overall package Barber is our best CB IMO.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 19, 2007, 12:34:07 PM

Ugh....as long as we don't replace Kelly with Juran Boldin again. (pukes in mouth a little)

I believe the Bucs are seriously considering replacing BK with PB.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 19, 2007, 12:34:40 PM

So you think we should keep Rice and Kelly because, why? Because they are good players for this defense? They are good players but where are we going. Rice has 3 more years, tops! Probably 2 at a good level of play. Sure we will miss Rice but we won't in the 3 years...

Brian Kelly gets put on islands all game, you don't ship a player of that caliber. So then the Bucs are stuck with who? Barber and Buchannon? I'd rather have Kelly, Barber, and Buchannon. With Kelly you're able to use Barber more around the LOS.

Rice had 14 sacks the year before. He had 2 and half games where he was healthy and still had 2 sacks this year. You don't trade proven production for the might be production. Rice, as you said, has still 3 very good years left.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 19, 2007, 12:36:19 PM

A lot of teams would take Rice and BK in a heartbeat, for the right price.  Those are 2 Pro bowl caliber players.   Although one is getting old and the other has injury issues.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions Fans want Rice and Kelly... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools