Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions Fans want Rice and Kelly... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 19, 2007, 12:36:23 PM

I believe the Bucs are seriously considering replacing BK with PB.

that would be a mistake DTG.

marlevr

Second String
#31 : January 19, 2007, 12:40:20 PM

Even if they produced in the past, both have serious questions going forward. Rice is getting in age and production is not at a high level anymore. BK has injury questions. Get what you can and move forward. Time to rebuild and get younger.

Barber, PB, Bolden and Zemaitis with one year to learn is not a bad combo. And that's not counting any FA like Clements.

#32 : January 19, 2007, 12:40:48 PM

Only trade BK if you can sign a guy such as Nate Clements. Same for Rice, if you sign a guy like Freeney, THEN you can ship em' out.

#33 : January 19, 2007, 12:42:30 PM

Give them Rice, keep Kelly. Kelly's stock is lower than SImeon's and Kelly is the better player

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 19, 2007, 12:43:58 PM

Look at this in a macro sense, ok. We lose Rice and Kelly. Kelly wants a huge pay day, he is 31 years old and coming off a season in which he played 2 games in and went on IR. Rices' salary cap is between 7-9 million dollars and he is 33 next month and coming off IR. We have the opportunity to save ourselves over an additional 10 million dollars in cap space and the possiblity to acquire 2 draft picks or per grumbling around the league, maybe shaun Rodgers to play DT who is a probowl DT.

Lets say we take the picks and we get a 2nd for Rice. Just leave Kelly out of this because he could be replaced with Samuel or Clements (Clements will be available for sure) and IMHO that is swap off between Kelly and Clements. Clements could absolutley play in this system. He is a good tackler and a good defender who can also return punts. Anyway, we would have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds. We are going no where on defense or the season as a whole next year. We could add some really nice prospects by dumping 2 old heroes here that are much appreciated. Its a business and its about getting better and solidifying the team for years to come. Sure we may struggle on defense next year but we are going to struggle next year anyway, why not get some great young prospects and struggle with them. RIce and Kelly are not going to turn us into an NFC championship team, no shot. Its about winning and for us to win IMHO we have got to be extremely wise about what is presented to us and if we can gain something from dropping 2 old heroes that both were on IR and over 30 years of age to get some young talent that can solidify our team for the next 7 years I'm in.

Its not about the here and now for us, its about the future. We need to make this move while we can still get something tangible for their services.

Baghead #2

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#35 : January 19, 2007, 12:49:30 PM

Kelly always seems to be unhappy, so i dont know

Definetely trade Rice, and maybe kelly if the compensation is good enough, if not keep him and give him a new contract

#36 : January 19, 2007, 01:16:10 PM

Kelly has NEVER been unhappy, not publicly. SO that is pure speculation and rumor, something that runs rampade in Tampa

Kelly wont get a huge payday. Barber didnt get a huge payday did he? As long as Kellys toe injury isnt ending his career there is no reason to get rid of him. Keep him next year, then give him the same extension they gave Ronde, and trade Rice for a 2nd rounde rand free up 7 mil in cap space. Kelly doesnt free up as much cap space, not nearly as much as Rice. Kelly is the better player. Kelly wont demand as high a draft pick. Why trade a healthy Kelly?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 19, 2007, 01:21:25 PM

Trade both of them for draft picks. Neither are the future of this defense, which we need to start putting together.

Agreed.  But trade like this don't happen very often.

#38 : January 19, 2007, 01:23:27 PM

Trade both of them for draft picks. Neither are the future of this defense, which we need to start putting together.

Agreed.  But trade like this don't happen very often.

Yeah, but if anyone can get something for these guys, it's Allen.

I would love to keep Kelly, though, for sure, unless we have a suitable COVER CB replacement.  Rice will have a good year next year, but we need to build for the future and he's a liability in certain situations.

#39 : January 19, 2007, 01:27:27 PM

Why trade a healthy Kelly?

No reason I can think of to trade a healthy Kelly. Of course, that question is immaterial since we haven't got a healthy Kelly. Turf toe can be a lingering injury that ends careers. If the medical staff thinks that's the case here, get something for him while you can.

#40 : January 19, 2007, 01:28:43 PM

very true, but I doubt our staff will know anything that a team inquiring for him wont find out

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 19, 2007, 01:30:43 PM

NO DEAL...Keep them both, we need them both next year...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Shag

Pro Bowler

#42 : January 19, 2007, 01:35:18 PM

NO DEAL...Keep them both, we need them both next year...

For what? Nothing right now makes me think we will be a contender next year. In that case their both just taking up space while we watch their playing decline. We need some new players on defense.

#43 : January 19, 2007, 01:39:28 PM

Chev, why do you want to pay a 4 mil DE 10 mil? Rice definitely has a 10 mil mouth, but his play is BAD. Injury or not, the majority of his last 3 seasons have been filled with bad play

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 19, 2007, 02:03:25 PM

Chev, why do you want to pay a 4 mil DE 10 mil? Rice definitely has a 10 mil mouth, but his play is BAD. Injury or not, the majority of his last 3 seasons have been filled with bad play

Dude had one bad season...because he was hurt.  You guys want to throw away 14 sacks just like that?  I think that's crazy...tell me where his play was bad because I didn't see it.  And for as much as Dal an I disagree on some points he can tell you that Sim has played the run better than any of our ends...so let's not go there...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions Fans want Rice and Kelly... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools