Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PI ALERT: IS IT REALISTIC TO THINK THE BUCS CAN RIGHT THE SHIP IN 2007? « previous next »
Page: 1

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

« : January 19, 2007, 12:06:55 PM »

Group,

I just posted a new Pewter Insider column on the front page of www.PewterReport.com.

Here is the teaser:

"How realistic is it for Tampa Bay to rebound from its 4-12 season and make the playoffs in 2007? Pewter Report’s Jim Flynn uses this Pewter Insider column to explain how the Bucs need to look to the New Orleans Saints and recent NFL history, including their own, for inspiration."

If you're not already a Pewter Insider subscriber, you can become one today by calling 1-800-881-BUCS(2827) or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.pewterreport.com/subscribe

Enjoy!

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 19, 2007, 12:25:10 PM »

Don't have to be an insider to know the bottom line.

The DL and OL have to improve, or we blow again.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

« #2 : January 19, 2007, 03:57:54 PM »

Its not like it hasn't happened before. Heck two years ago the Bucs went from worst to first in a year. But for that to happen next season, the defense has got to go back to being dominant and the O-line has block better so the QB can do his job.

« #3 : January 19, 2007, 12:43:26 PM »

Well hells bells you can say that for the past 30 years in Tampa. Rarely had a decent OL, rarely had a decent team

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 19, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »

Well hells bells you can say that for the past 30 years in Tampa. Rarely had a decent OL, rarely had a decent team

Sure, but in the last 10 years, a period in which the bar has been raised as far as expectations in Tampa, they've never had such a combined bad performance on both sides of the line as they had this season..

Perhaps the answer is to lower our expectations to match the pre-Dungy era? Then any improvement will suffice..

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 19, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »

I think you're right Red. We should lower our expectations. I here 12-4 almost every year from a buttload of fans. I'm optimistic each year, but I'm also a long time Buc fan. We had a 10 year run and it was awesome. Is a 5 year crapfest going to make me root for another team? Hell no. Some peope just expect too much and are disappointed when the dream fails to come to fruition.

I'm not saying expect 8-8 every year and play it safe, but some fans could be a little more realistic and look atht ehteam, where they are now and how they are moving forward. That can lower the expectation while keeping it all realistic as well.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 19, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »

I'm not saying expect 8-8 every year and play it safe, but some fans could be a little more realistic and look atht ehteam, where they are now and how they are moving forward. That can lower the expectation while keeping it all realistic as well.

That's probably the wise thing to do if you want to maintain peace of mind, but that's also takes some of the excitement out of the off-season and I'm pretty sure the wave of expctation created over the last 10 years won't subside that easily.

I'm cautiously optimistic, based on the way the Bucs have drafted over the last two years (i.e. drafting for need over BAP). It shows that there might actually be a plan in place. I just hope that thinking continues this year in the draft and hopefully now that we have some decent cap room in FA.

Do I think we can right the ship in 2007? Hard to say, but I think we've aready started bailing water since the 2005 draft...

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 19, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »

I wonder if the Saints will be able to maintain this years level, or if the Panthers will still stink next year. This NFC south is so hard to judge simply because of the history of it. I do think the Saints could be here for a few years. Its the Falcons and the Panthers that I wonder about. I went into this year thinking we were going to contend but the Ravens game showed me right away that we weren't.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 19, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »

I think it will be tougher than it was for the Saints, because the Saints played every game on the road the year before and then got Reggie Bush giftwrapped to them. 

But I guess a lot depends on who we can land in free agency.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 19, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »

If turn it around means having a better record, like 500 or better, yea it is possible given the schedule.  If one means compete with the elite teams in the league, well they faced them in the schedule last year, so I would think that might be a little ambitious.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 19, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »

They said "make the playoffs", which in most years means 10-6 or winning a 9-7 tiebreaker.  This year I think 9-7 would have gotten you homefield throughout the playoffs.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 19, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »

Itch - in the NFC I believe a team can both make the playoffs and yet not be able to compete with elite teams.  Make the playoffs is the easier fo the two goals.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 19, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »

Just reading the teaser for the article which just says "make the playoffs".   

« #13 : January 20, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »

It's VERY realistic we can turn things around since that seems to be happening with
various teams every year, and football is one of the few sports you can have such a
quick turnaround.  ;D
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PI ALERT: IS IT REALISTIC TO THINK THE BUCS CAN RIGHT THE SHIP IN 2007? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools