Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ********Senior Bowl Notables******** « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 22, 2007, 02:42:50 PM

Well, I really don't like the senior bowl for drafting purposes.

How come I am not surpised? :D

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 22, 2007, 02:50:59 PM

I'm with Dalbuc on Stanton - I think he's got all the tools but he seemed to regress this season, under the idiotic John L. Smith. I'd like to see him with some real coaching.

It may have hurt him on the money scale, but in terms of his future as a Qb in the NFL, falling out of the first round might be the best thing that happened to him. He'll be able to sit and learn without real pressures to start.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 22, 2007, 03:01:28 PM

Most of the players that we will be looking at using our 1st round pick on are not playing in the game. All players that are playing in the game are playing with guys they've never/rarely played with before. How can you get an accurate judgement on a player, especially on defense, that is surrounded by guys he doesn't know? I hate the senior bowl.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 22, 2007, 03:07:12 PM

How can you get an accurate judgement on a player, especially on defense, that is surrounded by guys he doesn't know?

Maybe the way they conduct themselves in practice and how they respond to coaching is a possibility no?  But you are assuming that NFL teams do not look at the film of these players playing with guys they "knew" in college.  You are also assuming that they will not be interviewed at the combine and/or their pro days.   The senior bowl is a piece of that puzzle.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 22, 2007, 03:09:33 PM

Most of the players that we will be looking at using our 1st round pick on are not playing in the game. All players that are playing in the game are playing with guys they've never/rarely played with before. How can you get an accurate judgement on a player, especially on defense, that is surrounded by guys he doesn't know? I hate the senior bowl.
Did you ever go to camp when you were a kid? Its not like they're there for a day... they're going to work out together for weeks.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 22, 2007, 03:12:12 PM

Also when they enter the NFL the rookies will have to learn to work with new guys at the Pro level.  The senior bowl could also show how a player adapts with their new surroundings and how they communicate and interact (positive or negative) with new people around them.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 22, 2007, 03:22:19 PM

Senior Bowl weigh-in results are posted here:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html
Here are some notes from NFLDC:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/blog.html
The big story was probably Amobi Okoye coming at only 295 lbs., which is about 25 lbs. less than he was listed at. There was an audible response from the scouts when that was announced. Another big story was Troy Smith checking in at exactly 6-0, which is shorter than Ohio St. listed him but still taller than most felt he would be. So who were the most impressive guys there? The guy who stood out the most for me was Victor Abiamiri, who didn't look like he had an ounce of fat on him and was almost impressive physically as Kamerion Wimbley was a year ago. The guy just looks the part! Daymeion Hughes also caught my attention and was the cream of the crop among the defensive backs from a weigh-in standpoint. The other guy who I was real impressed with was Tony Ugoh, who looked phenomenal. Paul Posluszny was very thick in his upper body and stood out as well. Dwayne Bowe was the standout at wide reciever while I'd have to give Ryan McBean and Kenny Irons positive notice as well. And believe it or not Daniel Sepulveda (yes, the punter) was actually more impressive than a lot of the linebackers. The worst body of the day belonged to Dustin Fry but there were others who did not really stand out as well. As I said all the results are up so check them out!

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 22, 2007, 04:19:12 PM

What do you mean they are going to be practicing together for weeks, the game's next Saturday!? Sure, there are plenty of things that can be looked at, but by no means should the actual game or the players performance in this game solely make up our staff's mind about a guy. If a linebacker is used to playing with a certain d-line and now doesn't know which way the line is giong to react then he might have a bad game trying to overreact to his new surroundings. Also, a RB might have a great game based off of the guys around him but actually be an average back. I just don't like this game. It's like judging Barber based on his poor probowl showings from a few years ago. They weren't playing the same defense that we play and it showed.

#23 : January 22, 2007, 04:20:45 PM

What do you mean they are going to be practicing together for weeks, the game's next Saturday!? Sure, there are plenty of things that can be looked at, but by no means should the actual game or the players performance in this game solely make up our staff's mind about a guy. If a linebacker is used to playing with a certain d-line and now doesn't know which way the line is giong to react then he might have a bad game trying to overreact to his new surroundings. Also, a RB might have a great game based off of the guys around him but actually be an average back. I just don't like this game. It's like judging Barber based on his poor probowl showings from a few years ago. They weren't playing the same defense that we play and it showed.
Or Winston Justice and Max Jean-Giles on their Madden games.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 22, 2007, 04:51:07 PM

It is great for seeing how fast a player can come in and learn.I mean come on it took Sims 3 plus years to learn our O...It just might impress if someone picks it up a little faster!

Larry Brackins

Starter
#25 : January 22, 2007, 04:54:42 PM

Interesting note that Wolfe weighed in at 182. That is 6 or 7 pounds heavier then he was at NIU.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 22, 2007, 04:59:26 PM

Interesting note that Wolfe weighed in at 182. That is 6 or 7 pounds heavier then he was at NIU.

Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it could make a lot of difference in his draft position.  He's not too much lighter than Lorenzo Booker, and he's more compact:

Booker:  5'10"3/8  188
Wolfe:    5'07"3/8  182

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 22, 2007, 05:10:11 PM

actually the game is usually downplayed from my understanding.

The coaches want to see them in practice. And while it's true that they are playing next to new guys in new systems in some cases, there is also a lot of individual work going on. This is just part of the process - it doesn't replace film, but film doesn't tell you how a player responds to coaching or his ability to learn (and even attitude).  I don't get why somebody would "hate" it.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 22, 2007, 05:15:12 PM

Most of the players that we will be looking at using our 1st round pick on are not playing in the game.

Which is why the Senior Bowl is such a waste.  In case the rest of you guys didn't hear, the Bucs have traded away all of their picks but the 1st round one.  So really, what's the point in using the Senior Bowl for drafting purposes?  Such a waste of time.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 22, 2007, 05:56:32 PM

When you consider our previous "senior bowl" drafts, it is a waste of time. It's all we look at it appears instead of doing actual scouting thoughout the year we instead just go to the senior bowl practices and draft off of the players there. That's why I hate it because our drafts have been pretty poor recently. Of course the Caddy pick was a good one IMO, but as someone else said, we should have Steven Jackson right now which would have given us a top flight receiver the next season. Instead we took Clayton 1st and had to pick Caddy. I'd really have liked to have seen Jackson here and any of these guys the following year:

Antrel Rolle CB Miami
Mike Williams WR Southern California
DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy
Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland
Jammal Brown T Oklahoma
Derrick Johnson OLB Texas   
Alex Barron T Florida State 
Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ********Senior Bowl Notables******** « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools