Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Caliber of Jon Gruden « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #30 : January 23, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

Update: Callahan is head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

And they suck!

but so does FSU

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #31 : January 23, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »

[banghead] [banghead] Callahan was given the HC role by default in Oakland. Lost the SB then was fired the year after.
and Who are those other guys any way.. their nobodys.

Callahan is a fool but he's still HC of a major college program. He'll never work in the NFL again I'd guess but that's something.

Shanahan was our offensive QC guy but the familial ties with Kubiak and Shanahan might have mattered a lot plus it is a position coach type deal which doesn't impress me much.

Bresnehan isn't a nobody. That Cincy defense has been pretty good during his time there.

I think the problem is no one wants anyone we've got now to do much of anything which matters more to me than Callahan and Bresnahan. No one is looking for Valero or Mann or Muir/Kromer to be their OC (then again maybe they are all assistant HC's and they can't leave or some dumb thing like that).

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #32 : January 23, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »

I'm not sure any of the current offensive coaches would even have NFL jobs if it weren't for Gruden. I don't see anyone else wanting them.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #33 : January 23, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »

oh geeze................  some of you guys amaze me......

so, since your all employed at OneBuc Palace, and take all the phone calls, and golf every Sunday with Bruce Allen.....

« #34 : January 23, 2007, 07:09:08 PM »

I'm not sure any of the current offensive coaches would even have NFL jobs if it weren't for Gruden. I don't see anyone else wanting them.
I'm not so sure about that...

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #35 : January 23, 2007, 07:20:47 PM »

I think the issue is your assessment that "..all the coaches that have worked around him have gone on to become other HC's.   I think this says alot about his mentoring abilities, and the type of person he is.

Monte Kiffin is clearly the mentor of the defensive coaches that have moved on to bigger and better things. Save Dungy, he's had a hand in teaching each one the principles of the Tampa defense, not Gruden. I contend that all these defensive coaches would've been doing all these great things no matter who the head coach was, as long as Monte Kiffin was there to show them how to coach..

I'm not bashing Gruden, I like him and I want him to stay, but if he was all that you believe he is, don't you think his offensive staff would've been getting some kind of interest from other teams?

That's just not the case, so why do you think that is?..

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #36 : January 23, 2007, 07:23:35 PM »

One reason is because he's young and he likes to be augmented by older guys who have been around the league and back.  This is a good strategy, but the Muirs and Hacketts are not HC material. And who cares really.

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #37 : January 23, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »

I think the issue is your assessment that "..all the coaches that have worked around him have gone on to become other HC's.   I think this says alot about his mentoring abilities, and the type of person he is.

Monte Kiffin is clearly the mentor of the defensive coaches that have moved on to bigger and better things. Save Dungy, he's had a hand in teaching each one the principles of the Tampa defense, not Gruden. I contend that all these defensive coaches would've been doing all these great things no matter who the head coach was, as long as Monte Kiffin was there to show them how to coach..

I'm not bashing Gruden, I like him and I want him to stay, but if he was all that you believe he is, don't you think his offensive staff would've been getting some kind of interest from other teams?

That's just not the case, so why do you think that is?..

Monty this and Monty that, the man is good yes, but if he is that damn good why isnt HE our HC???

I think Gruden, as afore mentioned by Itchalot, enjoys being around older guys.......guys who bring more knowledge, but he has an ability to absorb all of it, and pass it on.........

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #38 : January 23, 2007, 07:48:54 PM »

Monty this and Monty that, the man is good yes, but if he is that damn good why isnt HE our HC???

I think Gruden, as afore mentioned by Itchalot, enjoys being around older guys.......guys who bring more knowledge, but he has an ability to absorb all of it, and pass it on.........

He probably isn't the head coach because he doesn't want to be. He could've been head coach in San Francisco a few years ago and ignored that. He's getting a great paycheck and lives in a great place, why subject himself to the headaches of being a HC if he doesn't have to? Just a guess..

Passing on knowledge may be a gift that Gruden possesses, and I'd like to think thaty's the case, but defensive knowledge will never be something that he'll be able to out-teach Kiffin at.

Don't you think he'd be passing along enough offensive knowledge to make at least one or two of his assistants viable candidates that are attractive to other teams? You never answered my question about why Gruden's offensive staff hasn't been pursued by anybody around the NFL...

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #39 : January 23, 2007, 08:00:58 PM »

You never answered my question about why Gruden's offensive staff hasn't been pursued by anybody around the NFL...

they have, just not primary target...

I think what alot of that stems from is the fact that JG likes to head the WCO mostly himself, with assistants in the OL ect, but he likes to run it, and he gets alot of the credit for it as well, where as he lets MK run the D along with his assistants......

BUT I do know there are some, I just cant hink of any at the moment.......but I will get back with you

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #40 : January 23, 2007, 08:07:05 PM »

nope cant come up with any prominent names, but none the less.....My assessment was that coaches that have worked AROUND him have gone on to be HC's      which probably should have read gone on to be great coaches,  so this includes both Offense and Deffense........

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #41 : January 23, 2007, 08:12:35 PM »

Wow, how early did you start drinking?  Screaming, cursing, making faces, & turning red are effective ways of coaching?  I don't think he's effective at all any more. Exhibit A --our 2006 season. And why don't you know that Gruden has nothing to do with the defense?

wc24

Second String

« #42 : January 23, 2007, 08:15:01 PM »

Wow, how early did you start drinking?  Screaming, cursing, making faces, & turning red are effective ways of coaching?  I don't think he's effective at all any more. Exhibit A --our 2006 season. And why don't you know that Gruden has nothing to do with the defense?

Jon Gruden has coached teams that have won division titles in 4 out of the last 7 seasons. He's proven that when he has the talent he can effectively coach an NFL team. 

redtab78

Pro Bowler
« #43 : January 23, 2007, 08:17:52 PM »

Wow, how early did you start drinking?  Screaming, cursing, making faces, & turning red are effective ways of coaching?  I don't think he's effective at all any more. Exhibit A --our 2006 season. And why don't you know that Gruden has nothing to do with the defense?

question 1) 2:30 pm  (long day)
question 2) he does............HE's THE HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2Linebacker32

Starter

« #44 : January 23, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »

He probably isn't the head coach because he doesn't want to be. He could've been head coach in San Francisco a few years ago and ignored that. He's getting a great paycheck and lives in a great place, why subject himself to the headaches of being a HC if he doesn't have to? Just a guess..

Passing on knowledge may be a gift that Gruden possesses, and I'd like to think thaty's the case, but defensive knowledge will never be something that he'll be able to out-teach Kiffin at.

Don't you think he'd be passing along enough offensive knowledge to make at least one or two of his assistants viable candidates that are attractive to other teams? You never answered my question about why Gruden's offensive staff hasn't been pursued by anybody around the NFL...

Some of you guys need to really study. Kiffin has came out and said many time that he doesnt want to be a head coach. He loces being the D Cordinator and that is his business. I bet a lot of you guys dont even know that Kiffin is the one who is the originator of the Tampa 2 not Dungy. Yes, Dungy is a defensive minded coach and all but its Kiffin's defensive system that made us great. Take nothing away from Dungy but Kiffin is the one that everyone should be giving praise for all these defensive coaches getting HC jobs. Everyone is overlooking Monte like he did nothing to get these coaches ready for bigger jobs. All of them got thier praise from running Monte's system. I would like for people to start giving Monte Credit because people are taking it like Monte is running Dungy's system when it is really the other way around. Just go to the Bucs web site and Read Monte's profile the proof is all there...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Caliber of Jon Gruden « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools