Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia: Bucs and Vikings Interested « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 24, 2007, 12:16:20 PM

The latter, of course. The Simms contract doesn't make him the starter.

That's an insane amount for a backup.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 24, 2007, 12:19:36 PM

I don't think that's the case, I really don't. Gruden wants open competition at every position, if Garcia outplays Simms in TC and preseason then he'll be the starter. The Bucs handed the job to Simms last year without competition and it ended up being a disaster. Gruden will not make that mistake again.

That depends on how you think Gruden is thinking about the situation. He missed out on Garcia once before because he wouldn't pencil him as the starter. Now, if you believe the idea that Gruden is on a one-year leash what do you feel his thinking would be about his QB situation?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 24, 2007, 12:20:47 PM

You're right about that but what really is a good price for a young QB with some experience in your system? One you think could be, in time, be the man for your franchise.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 24, 2007, 12:22:46 PM

You're kidding, yes? You do know that the average player salary on the Bucs roster next season will be over $2 million, right?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 24, 2007, 12:26:36 PM

That depends on how you think Gruden is thinking about the situation. He missed out on Garcia once before because he wouldn't pencil him as the starter. Now, if you believe the idea that Gruden is on a one-year leash what do you feel his thinking would be about his QB situation?

my feeling is the $5M for Simms doesn't guarantee anything other than a roster spot.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 24, 2007, 12:27:30 PM

my feeling is the $5M for Simms doesn't guarantee anything other than a roster spot.

Exactly. And that $5 million isn't just for this season.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 24, 2007, 12:35:38 PM

I'll be shocked if Garcia lands here. I think Garcia goes to Minny, they run the WC, they have the team that could get over the top, they have the rookie in Tavaris Jackson that can learn from Garcia, they have the money to spend on a 1 or maybe 2 year QB...

If Garcia comes here there is little shot to make the playoffs. This is his last hoorah and if I'm him I would like the chance to make the playoffs and  I don't think we can offer that at this juncture, just MHO.

Baghead #2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 24, 2007, 12:38:08 PM

I'll be shocked if Garcia lands here. I think Garcia goes to Minny, they run the WC, they have the team that could get over the top, they have the rookie in Tavaris Jackson that can learn from Garcia, they have the money to spend on a 1 or maybe 2 year QB...

If Garcia comes here there is little shot to make the playoffs. This is his last hoorah and if I'm him I would like the chance to make the playoffs and  I don't think we can offer that at this juncture, just MHO.

It depends on how he's motivated, what he sees in the team around him, and what kind of sell job the Bucs do on him. Remember that Garcia wanted to play for Gruden before.

gone

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 24, 2007, 12:42:37 PM

Everything in your first paragraph could be said about us too -- a familiar offense, a team that can get over the top, a rookie that could learn (or a 5th year that could learn), and the money to pay him

If Garcia comes here there is every bit as much of a shot to make the playoffs.  What's been killing this offense is the lack of play from QB.  Even a mediocre performance by Greise and Simms in '05 got us there.  With the cash, draft, schedule, and coaching fixes, we should be right back in the mix.  A solid QB will do wonders for this offense.  Remember, Greise went 5-1 for us, and Garcia>Griese. 

And Garcia would come here as the starter.  There may be lip service paid to the "competition" for the job, but he'd walk in here as the starter.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 24, 2007, 12:48:37 PM

gruden has said that he wants a great QB not good but great is that jeff garcia?

well, he is better than what we have now...

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 24, 2007, 12:50:03 PM

Caradoc, not disagreeing with you but I still think that the Vikings give him a better chance to win and if I'm 38 years old I want to win. The points you made were fine regarding our bucs and our QB play. I still think that if I'm 38 years old that I'm going to the team that...

1. pays me the most money- its my last contract
2. give me the best chance to win

Baghead #2

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#26 : January 24, 2007, 12:56:35 PM

some of you guys are saying "give it to garcia for a few years", WTF are you smoking? do you know how old he was? and  why would we want to waste cap space on a old QB that was only doing good because of the system he played in? he was impressive but he has 1 year left tops, he is probably going to want more than simms, and thats too much money in one position, especially when we need defensive players like briggs more than anything

#27 : January 24, 2007, 01:03:30 PM

The latter, of course. The Simms contract doesn't make him the starter.

His base salary per-year through 2008 will be only $2 million.  Check nflpa.org.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 24, 2007, 01:04:51 PM

wish we would have had more money tied up in "one" position last year...

maybe if we had a decent back-up, we would have finished 8-8 give or take a game or two, instead, we had very little money tied up in a very important position, and look what that got us...

SIGN GARCIA OR MAKE A DEAL FOR MCNABB, either way, we will be in better shape than last year!

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 24, 2007, 01:10:55 PM

I'm not making up trades, I'm discussing something that the media has brought up...Maybe they made it up, but I didn't...

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia: Bucs and Vikings Interested « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools