Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia: Bucs and Vikings Interested « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

BucfaninDC

Starter

« #30 : January 24, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »

I'll be shocked if Garcia lands here. I think Garcia goes to Minny, they run the WC, they have the team that could get over the top, they have the rookie in Tavaris Jackson that can learn from Garcia, they have the money to spend on a 1 or maybe 2 year QB...

If Garcia comes here there is little shot to make the playoffs. This is his last hoorah and if I'm him I would like the chance to make the playoffs and I don't think we can offer that at this juncture, just MHO.
Everything in your first paragraph could be said about us too -- a familiar offense, a team that can get over the top, a rookie that could learn (or a 5th year that could learn), and the money to pay him

If Garcia comes here there is every bit as much of a shot to make the playoffs. What's been killing this offense is the lack of play from QB. Even a mediocre performance by Greise and Simms in '05 got us there. With the cash, draft, schedule, and coaching fixes, we should be right back in the mix. A solid QB will do wonders for this offense. Remember, Greise went 5-1 for us, and Garcia>Griese.

And Garcia would come here as the starter. There may be lip service paid to the "competition" for the job, but he'd walk in here as the starter.

Greise wasn't the ONLY player to go 5-1.  The Bucs defense had a huge amount to do with those 5 wins, even more so than Griese.  Garcia or any QB for that matter, won't win too many games if the defense gives up 300+ rushing yards like it did against the Falcons.  Garcia may be an improvement over the current QB roster, but he won't make a difference to the other side of the ball.  The D still needs to step up which has nothing to do with Garcia.  

Priority should be bringing in FAs that can impact the defense right away.  

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #31 : January 24, 2007, 01:07:45 PM »

since lots of people are just making up fantasy trades like getting mcnabb

we dont we just trade Simms +2nd rounder for Mcnabb?

lmao, *sarcasm*

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #32 : January 24, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »

I'm not making up trades, I'm discussing something that the media has brought up...Maybe they made it up, but I didn't...

I didnt neccesarily mean you

« #33 : January 24, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »

I'm not making up trades, I'm discussing something that the media has brought up...Maybe they made it up, but I didn't...

Wake up, McNabb to Tampa trades are running rampant in media discussion.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #34 : January 24, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

so are you saying you think its a possibility?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #35 : January 24, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »

some of you guys are saying "give it to garcia for a few years", WTF are you smoking? do you know how old he was? and why would we want to waste cap space on a old QB that was only doing good because of the system he played in? he was impressive but he has 1 year left tops, he is probably going to want more than simms, and thats too much money in one position, especially when we need defensive players like briggs more than anything

Alright Mo, here's the deal.

- His age didn't prevent him from playing at a high level this past year in almost the same offensive scheme. He's got at least 2 more years.

- Living through the past 5 years of unstable QB play the Bucs can't spend enough money on this position. The Bucs have the cap room, plenty of it and he won't command the amount of money that would cripple your cap. Also, cap room doesn't roll over like cellphone minutes.

- The Bucs will still be able to go after Briggs and Freeney.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #36 : January 24, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

Greise wasn't the ONLY player to go 5-1.  The Bucs defense had a huge amount to do with those 5 wins, even more so than Griese.  Garcia or any QB for that matter, won't win too many games if the defense gives up 300+ rushing yards like it did against the Falcons.  Garcia may be an improvement over the current QB roster, but he won't make a difference to the other side of the ball.  The D still needs to step up which has nothing to do with Garcia. 

Priority should be bringing in FAs that can impact the defense right away. 

The point was that the offense was moving the ball when there was even mediocre play from the QB.  It tanked when the QB play did.  We would be a better offense than we were in 05 with Garcia here, he's simply a better QB than we've had here since BJ lost his arm.

And the D is not as much of a disaster as people are thinking.  Coaching had a tremendous amount to do with that, and so did injuries.  One or 2 additions are all that's really needed if we keep Rice and BK or get equivalent alternatives for their positions.

« #37 : January 24, 2007, 01:22:58 PM »

Don't rule it out.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

« #38 : January 24, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »

Don't rule it out.

You might want to, because then who is going to be the eagles QB? Garcia said he wanted to test FA so what is Feeley going to start? and WTF are we going to do with the newly signed simms?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : January 24, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »

As in "uuummmm, no you won't compete for the starting job" or as in "ummmm, no you can walk right into the starting job and we paid your backup $5m?"

The latter, of course. The Simms contract doesn't make him the starter.

I don't think that's the case, I really don't. Gruden wants open competition at every position, if Garcia outplays Simms in TC and preseason then he'll be the starter. The Bucs handed the job to Simms last year without competition and it ended up being a disaster. Gruden will not make that mistake again.
I would offer the bucs did hand Simms the starting position because there was no real competition.  Would Garcia be the starter here - I would certainly think so.  If he then stunk it up you would then see Chris.  But giving him the keys is almost a given, and he would keep them until he loses them.

And McNabb to Tampa - same situation would rule.  I will believe it when and if I see it and not a second before bc Philly would be incredibly stupid to let an elite qb go.

Finally, I don't get the talk about Griese.  It is just like Thomas Jones.  You had to be able to pay him, and with insufficient cap space it was never in the cards for the bucs.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #40 : January 24, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »

...and GRIESE SUCKED SACK!  Good riddance!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 24, 2007, 01:33:13 PM »

Well there is that turbo, there is that.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
« #42 : January 24, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »

...and GRIESE SUCKED SACK!  Good riddance!

If by "sucked sack" you mean setting franchise passing records and leading us to a 5-1 record before we got rid of him, then yes...he sucked big sack.  ::)

« #43 : January 24, 2007, 01:36:39 PM »

...and GRIESE SUCKED SACK! Good riddance!
We should've kept him anyway.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #44 : January 24, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »

Couldn't - out of $$$ MBF.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Garcia: Bucs and Vikings Interested « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools