Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: OLB Clay Matthews USC « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #15 : March 06, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »

I think I'm going to agree with FRG. When you have needs at premium positions, that's where the focus needs to be.

Orangegone1

Starter

« #16 : March 06, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »

Clay Matthews would be an awesome addition to the Buc D IMO

I like the USC linebackers also. But if we don't get some players on the DL we are going to be in trouble.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #17 : March 06, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »

Matthews will be a star in this league. However I am not sure if he will even be there at 19.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #18 : March 06, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »

I like Maualuga, Matthews and Cushing, in that order. Not that Cushing is bad at all, he'd be a solid choice, but Mau is an intense roving beast in the mold of Seau/Tatupu and Matthews has a pretty good pedigree with a 4X Pro Bowl LB father and a HOF OL uncle. Of the 3, Matthews has worked hardest to get where he's at (walk on) and probably still has the most upside..

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #19 : March 07, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

Well in the 1st that really means a LB should be an every down player, and since the Bucs have Ruud that would mean the only consideration would be for a weakside guy. Matthews and Lauranitis are the only two that could possibly play that, but neither look that good for the part but there's not much scouting on Matthews for me to say for sure. Cushing and Maualuga are not space LB's so I'm not even interested in them. The Bucs are better off with the guys they got already since they are quicker type LB's.

I don't think Cushing or Matthews has the man cover ability that we'd be looking for at WSLB. I'm not a big fan of keeping Hayes the guy at that spot, but he's definitely better than either at that.

I'd prefer Marcus Freeman of any of the draft OLBs because he projects well to a WSLB in our new system and actually has size which Hayes doesn't.

Matthews will be a star in this league. However I am not sure if he will even be there at 19.

A LB who barely starts in college going top 15 or so? That'd be ridiculous, especially given the premium (or lack thereof) put on LBs. There are guys who are consistent studs in college who have major pro upside who don't even go that high. He'd be like Cromartie was at corner only without being an elite athlete....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

« #20 : March 07, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »

His dad was a really good player...

his brother is good as well... started since halfway through his frosh year at Oregon. Will be a junior this year. Will play at the next level as well. That family has the blood

buccaneermark

Practice Squad

« #21 : March 07, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »

if the intention is to use a backer to blitz  in the new defense, then clay is the man. he spent more time in the offensive backfield than some running backs...
as for motor and determination remember he was a walk on at USC and had only 1 scholarship offer.........look where his hard work has put him now. like the dna as well

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #22 : March 07, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »

his brother is good as well... started since halfway through his frosh year at Oregon. Will be a junior this year. Will play at the next level as well. That family has the blood
not to mention his uncle and grandfather who both played pro football.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #23 : March 07, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »

Some have said that they think Clay Mathews will be better than Cushing or Mauluga.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

« #24 : March 07, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »

not to mention his uncle and grandfather who both played pro football.

I didnt know that.

I believe Clay was also a walk on at USC

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #25 : March 08, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

his uncle is Bruce Mathews, played OL 17 years for the Oilers/Titans, probably a future HOFer.  Clay, Jr.  had another son named Kyle who played safety at USC.  Bruce has a son that currently starts on the OL at Texas A&M.  Ther grandfather, Clay Mathews Sr. played for the 49ers back in the 50s.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #26 : March 13, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »

his uncle is Bruce Mathews, played OL 17 years for the Oilers/Titans, probably a future HOFer.

He was a first ballot electee, I believe...

westexbucfan

Second String

« #27 : March 13, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »

well it was interesting that the PR guys spoke about matthews on the new "show". i doubt we will take him but I do think its worth it if we arent gonna have a dt worth taking at 19. just depends on how it plays out on draft day. but i would like to see him here.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: OLB Clay Matthews USC « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools