Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lelie voids the last year of his contract « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 26, 2007, 12:26:53 PM

And McCardell was no speed demon. You could probably say that Key was our most productive WR besides Galloway, too.

What was said about Stovall being groomed to take over for Galloway is fact. We're not pulling your leg on that one. It isn't the speed that matters. It is more about where you line up on the field. From there Gruden will feature someone. Right now our feature is Galloway, but don't fall into the trap of believing that the X WR in our offense (which is what he plays IIRC) is always your fast, field stretcher. That just isn't true. Key played the same position and he was not fast at all.

In fact, our best year with WRs? The end of 2002 and beginning of 2003. We had Key, Jurevicius, and McCardell. None were speed demons.
Regardless of whether McCardell was a pure burner or not, he had moves and stretched the field. That is the type of receiver that the team will need; not another big, physical possession receiver.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 26, 2007, 12:33:31 PM

Don't need Lelie. If he was anything, he would've made noise in Atlanta, where Brian Finneran was the best WR just 2 seasons ago..

Galloway is the deep threat, and if Gru/Muir/Kromer can get the OL to pass block for more than 2 seconds a play, he'll likely exceed this years numbers. No reason to bury a man's career when he hasn't shown one sign of wear and tear.

Not to say he's some spring chicken, but too many people are too worried about the WR corps. Galloway, Stovall, Hilliard and Clayton would be an acceptable foursome on many teams. Not to mention Alex Smith, who should continue to develop into a nice TE threat.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 26, 2007, 12:36:20 PM

Hilliard can catch but not much after that Clayton I dont know what we really have in him so  looking for another #2 is a good idea

#33 : January 26, 2007, 12:42:09 PM

Lelie was inconsistent in Denver and that's what started his demise there. When he dropped on the depth chart, he got an attitude and it worsened when Walker was signed. Lelie still has a lot of potential at this point. If he were to find the right situation and man up, he could still become a force in the NFL. But IMO, the window is closing fast and he may only have a season or two to prove himself. He's worth a look see.

#34 : January 26, 2007, 12:51:56 PM

Don't need Lelie. If he was anything, he would've made noise in Atlanta, where Brian Finneran was the best WR just 2 seasons ago..

Galloway is the deep threat, and if Gru/Muir/Kromer can get the OL to pass block for more than 2 seconds a play, he'll likely exceed this years numbers. No reason to bury a man's career when he hasn't shown one sign of wear and tear.

Not to say he's some spring chicken, but too many people are too worried about the WR corps. Galloway, Stovall, Hilliard and Clayton would be an acceptable foursome on many teams. Not to mention Alex Smith, who should continue to develop into a nice TE threat.

I too think the WR corp is fine.  But it would be nice to find a deep threat and not have to spend a pick or over pay to  find Galloway's eventual replacement. The timing seems right to give this guy a shot. Can you imagine how much better the running game could be if you had two guys to stretch the field and really open things up ? You could eliminate a lot of the 2 TE sets.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 26, 2007, 12:52:37 PM

he sucked with plummer, he sucked with vick, and he'd suck with whoever was throwing him the ball here, especially since he'd have to run routes instead of just flying down the field and dropping a catchable ball.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 26, 2007, 01:11:01 PM

I too think the WR corp is fine. But it would be nice to find a deep threat and not have to spend a pick or over pay to find Galloway's eventual replacement. The timing seems right to give this guy a shot. Can you imagine how much better the running game could be if you had two guys to stretch the field and really open things up ? You could eliminate a lot of the 2 TE sets.

Another deep threat wouldn't be a bad thing, but where is he going to play? Galloway could use a blow now and then, sure, but we need somebody to consistently work the middle too, especially in this offense. A Keyshawn type ..*gasp!*..

But yea, I guess if Lelie is cheap, why not see what he's got?

And even if two burners on the team has alot of potential, I'd rather the running game improve by virtue of the OL blocking better than anything else. That'd really open things up..

#37 : January 26, 2007, 01:38:52 PM

I too think the WR corp is fine. But it would be nice to find a deep threat and not have to spend a pick or over pay to find Galloway's eventual replacement. The timing seems right to give this guy a shot. Can you imagine how much better the running game could be if you had two guys to stretch the field and really open things up ? You could eliminate a lot of the 2 TE sets.

Another deep threat wouldn't be a bad thing, but where is he going to play? Galloway could use a blow now and then, sure, but we need somebody to consistently work the middle too, especially in this offense. A Keyshawn type ..*gasp!*..

But yea, I guess if Lelie is cheap, why not see what he's got?

And even if two burners on the team has alot of potential, I'd rather the running game improve by virtue of the OL blocking better than anything else. That'd really open things up..

Right, I'm thinking if you sign Lelie, there's less of a chance they'll draft a WR and go OL instead.

You could easily send both deep and work Clayton/ Smith/ RB over the middle.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 26, 2007, 01:48:40 PM

I don't mind Lelie if the price is right - i.e., low - but let's not kid ourselves on how great he is. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 26, 2007, 03:02:00 PM

Lelie was inconsistent in Denver and that's what started his demise there. When he dropped on the depth chart, he got an attitude and it worsened when Walker was signed.

This is his big problem, he doesn't know he's not a #1 WR and he's pissy about that fact.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#40 : January 26, 2007, 04:25:52 PM

Lelie was inconsistent in Denver and that's what started his demise there. When he dropped on the depth chart, he got an attitude and it worsened when Walker was signed.

This is his big problem, he doesn't know he's not a #1 WR and he's pissy about that fact.

How true dal and that's why he needs to grow up if he wants to salvage any kind of a career. He's got the potential to be a #2 and 800-1000 isn't out of the question if he can rise to the challenge.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 26, 2007, 05:05:38 PM

he sucked with plummer, he sucked with vick, and he'd suck with whoever was throwing him the ball here, especially since he'd have to run routes instead of just flying down the field and dropping a catchable ball.

54 catches for 1080yrds isn't sucking. In fact, Lelie led the league in yrs/catch for two years in Denver.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 26, 2007, 06:32:08 PM

pick him up , we can push it down field thats what we need a #2WR

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#43 : January 26, 2007, 08:26:27 PM

Quoted for Truth.

Plus, who fears a burner when the opposing team knows they'll get to your QB before any deep routes have time to develop?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lelie voids the last year of his contract « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools