Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Okoye « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: January 26, 2007, 11:23:30 AM

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070126/SPORTS11/701260364/1002

It only took one Senior Bowl practice for Okoye to make an impression on North coach Jon Gruden.

"It's really unbelievable. He went out there and was knocking people around. He didn't look like he was 19," said Gruden, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I've just got a tremendous amount of respect for him and how he's been raised. He's obviously a very smart guy to accelerate his academics the way he has. He may be young, but he is not lacking any physical attributes at this point."

Even with his hat turned backward and a somewhat skimpy goatee, the massive Okoye doesn't look 19. But given his age, teams are also going to gauge his mental maturity along with those physical skills.

"When you look at the tape, the guy's an explosive football player," Gruden said. "He really has a chance to play. You just worry about what he's going to do at night, 10 o'clock with no bed check. That's what I worry about with a 19-year-old kid. I worry about that more than anything else."

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : January 26, 2007, 11:36:35 AM

Good points all around here. There can be a big difference from being 19 and being 21 or 22.

Although something tells me not to believe a word that Gruden says from the Senior Bowl. Sure, he likes Okoye but he probably likes he a heck of a lot more than he is letting on that he does. Not that he is badmouthing him or anything but he is saying something here that a team could look not so favorably upon him for. Gruden knows how to play these games to get who he wants. Just like keeping Cadillac out of the game.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 26, 2007, 11:39:08 AM

Good points all around here. There can be a big difference from being 19 and being 21 or 22.

Although something tells me not to believe a word that Gruden says from the Senior Bowl. Sure, he likes Okoye but he probably likes he a heck of a lot more than he is letting on that he does. Not that he is badmouthing him or anything but he is saying something here that a team could look not so favorably upon him for. Gruden knows how to play these games to get who he wants. Just like keeping Cadillac out of the game.

No doubt, like any NFL coaches you have to think there's a motive behind stuff like this. Keeping Caddy out of the game was straight gangsta.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 26, 2007, 11:44:41 AM

True, but didn't Gruden also say a ton of complimentary things about Caddy during the Senior Bowl? Gruden makes 1,000 faces, but a poker face is not one of them unfortunately.

That's why Bruce Allen had to take Mike Williams out to dinner the night before the draft, probably.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 26, 2007, 11:51:45 AM

Question here. In review of last years draft I believe Gruden took last years 1st pick ealrier then he was projected. would Gruden do that again this year picking a need like UT. If Gruden dose pick Okoye 3-4th it might only be 4-5 pick earlier then Okoye is projected

what do you all think

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 26, 2007, 11:53:47 AM

depends on whether Thomas or Johnson were still available but if that is the guy they truely want and think can help our team the most then I would support it with a wait and see attitude.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 26, 2007, 01:35:32 PM

I keep remembering the Super bowl year when the bucs beat the 49ers 41-14 in the playoffs TO a WR was not a factor because our UT did not give Garcia the time to throw.

#7 : January 26, 2007, 01:45:32 PM

Question here. In review of last years draft I believe Gruden took last years 1st pick ealrier then he was projected. would Gruden do that again this year picking a need like UT. If Gruden dose pick Okoye 3-4th it might only be 4-5 pick earlier then Okoye is projected

what do you all think

If he's top 10, too much of a reach at #3.......top 5, no problemo.

nick77777

Pro Bowler

#8 : January 26, 2007, 06:34:30 PM

its very true the maturity change in a kid thats 19 and a kid thats 21, when i was nineteen i threw a party in my now ex's girlfriends house, and was partyin it up, and didnt care about work, Now that im 21 im workin 90 + hours a week and goin into the army, so i understand the major questions that can araise with a 19 year old kid.  I like the kid alot though and wouldn't mind seeing him in pewter and red. just not in the top 10. 

watson

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 26, 2007, 07:29:49 PM

The 2 things that JG and BA talked about at the end of the year........QB play and getting to the QB.   If Okoye is that disruptive then I'm not sure it would be a stretch to see them draft him with the first pick.  But if they can trade down a couple of spots.....maybe with SF since their WR corp is not that stellar and still get Okoye then it would be a slam dunk.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

gone

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 26, 2007, 08:24:12 PM

A 15 year old kid oging to college.  If that didn't screw the guy up, and apparently it didn't, then nothing will.  Take maturity out of that equation, that's not gonna be an issue with this guy.  Whoever picks him is gonna get a stud.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 26, 2007, 09:08:24 PM

I love Okoye as much as anyone but top 5 is too high IMHO. Now, if you talk about moving back a little bit then that would be nice. However, with these big time players, franchise guys like Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson that is hard to pass up.

Baghead #2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 26, 2007, 09:20:04 PM

I think the Bucs will be re-aligning their draft board a bit after this weekend, and when they do that I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of trading down to the middle of the round doesn't get pretty attractive to them.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 26, 2007, 09:23:20 PM

This is an interesting draft.  lots of depth, but not as much on the must-haves.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#14 : January 26, 2007, 09:27:11 PM

I think the Bucs will be re-aligning their draft board a bit after this weekend, and when they do that I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of trading down to the middle of the round doesn't get pretty attractive to them.

Not uhnless it involves a a first round pick in next year's draft, Dan. There is no value trading down out of the Top 3 (possibly) all the way to the 15th unless mulitiple 1st round picks are involved. I like the idea of having 3 second round picks, but not at the expense of losing an elite player.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on Okoye « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools