Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MASA ADDRESSES SENIOR BOWL-TO-TAMPA RUMORS « previous next »
Page: 1

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
: March 19, 2009, 08:40:55 PM

Although PewterReport.com did not report or comment on the rumors that the Senior Bowl might be coming to Tampa, I do recall seeing the Tampa Tribune story linked on our message boards. PewterReport.com, which has been covering the Senior Bowl live in Mobile, Ala. since 2004, just received a press release from The Mobile Arts and Sports Association, Inc. (MASA) in response to the Tampa Tribune report. PewterReport.com is not saying the Trib's report was wrong or right, we're just presenting the press release in its entirety:

The Mobile Arts and Sports Association, Inc. (MASA) which is a private, not for profit business, owns the Senior Bowl.  Like many, we have been astonished and disappointed by the firestorm of falsehoods and rumor mongering that has been spread in Mobile as a result of an erroneous story in The Tampa Tribune earlier this week.  These are the FACTS:

• Neither MASA, the Senior Bowl organization, nor anyone on its behalf has been in contact with anyone related to Tampa about anything.

• We have been looking forward to receiving a new contract proposal from the Ladd-Peebles Stadium Board since the subject was officially opened in early December, 2008 by a contact from legal counsel for the Board.  We subsequently confirmed our hopes to receive such a proposal with a member of the City Council.  We have never indicated to anyone with the Stadium Board, the City or the City Council that we preferred to delay this process.  We continue to look forward to receiving a new contract proposal and expect to devote our full attention to addressing that proposal with the Stadium Board.

• Like many other organizations, we have solicited additional funding from the City of Mobile in the past two years, including a formal process  through CitiSmart, culminating with a presentation to the City Council.  We undertook this process based upon the specific suggestion of officials of the City of Mobile as to how we should approach the City for additional funding.

We did not start these rumors and do not intend to stoop into any finger-pointing contests or smear campaigns. 

Victor H. Lott, Jr.
Chairman of the Board of Trustees
Mobile Arts and Sports Association, Inc.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 19, 2009, 08:48:45 PM

Whether the Senior Bowl moves to Tampa or not, it's a non-story.  I mean really, why should anyone care where an exhibition game is played?

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#2 : March 19, 2009, 08:49:39 PM

it would make the trip a lot easier for you guys SR thats for sure.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#3 : March 19, 2009, 08:54:40 PM

The Senior Bowl really has nothing to do with the actual game. It the Networking, Scouting, and Behind the Scenes Meetings that take place between Front Office personnel and potential coaches. I lived in Mobile for 2 years, and it's a big deal for their economy. People aren't flocking to Mobile for anything else, trust me.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 20, 2009, 10:23:39 AM

That would be sweet!  I'd love to check out the senior bowl every year.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MASA ADDRESSES SENIOR BOWL-TO-TAMPA RUMORS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools