Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Singletary To Interview With The Cowboys « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
: January 29, 2007, 08:05:16 PM

From NFL.com:  http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DAL/9962035

Singletary to Interview with Cowboys   

IRVING, Texas (Jan. 29, 2007) -- Add Mike Singletary to the list of candidates to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

The Hall of Fame linebacker will interview Jan. 30 with team owner Jerry Jones. He'll become the eighth candidate considered to replace Bill Parcells.

Best known for his ferocious play with the Chicago Bears, Singletary is a Houston native who played college football at Baylor. He has been coaching in the NFL since 2003, spending two years with Baltimore and the past two with the San Francisco 49ers.

Another 49ers assistant, offensive coordinator Norv Turner, has been viewed as the front-runner in Dallas, but he returned to the Bay Area following his interview Jan. 28.

The Cowboys already have hired Jason Garrett and are considering him for the head coaching job or likely will make him offensive coordinator. Defensive coordinators Wade Phillips of San Diego and Gary Gibbs of New Orleans also are being considered.

Jones also has talked to three members of Parcells' staff, including Todd Bowles, who is black, thus fulfilling the league requirement for a minority candidate.

Singletary, 48, retired after the 1992 season and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1998. He spent his post-playing days doing motivational speaking, writing books and co-founding a company that provides leadership training, then got into coaching in 2003.

After failing to land the head coaching job at Baylor, Singletary was hired by Baltimore and spent two seasons guiding the inside linebackers. Mike Nolan was the team's defensive coordinator and when he became the head coach in San Francisco, Singletary followed. He was assistant head coach for linebackers, then named assistant head coach for defense last season.

Parcells resigned Jan. 22, ending a four-year run in which he went 34-32 and failed to win a playoff game over four seasons.

The Cowboys lost four of their last five games this past season, with defense the weak link.

Jones might not hold a lack of NFL head coaching experience against Singletary; Parcells was the first coach in club history with that on his résumé. All five head coaches NFL teams have hired this offseason are first-timers.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 29, 2007, 08:21:25 PM

Boy I tell you what if you saw any of the senior bowl practices he was coaching he was impressive. Guy was working his people over hard. Plus, can you imagine the credibility. He's got to be better than retreading off another failed coach.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : January 29, 2007, 08:23:32 PM

Boy I tell you what if you saw any of the senior bowl practices he was coaching he was impressive. Guy was working his people over hard. Plus, can you imagine the credibility. He's got to be better than retreading off another failed coach.

Yeah, I know.  I watched all of the Senior Bowl practices on NFL Network.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 30, 2007, 09:01:49 AM

There is a fair amount of talk that the Boys first effort to Rooney Rule with Todd Bowles might not have passed muster and so Singletary is a token thing. Funny thing is here in Cow-land his name has generated a lot more interest and enthusiasm than Norv or Wade have except among the media types.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 29, 2007, 08:55:37 PM

This might be a bad idea, because he is a newbie HC, and Jones wants to bring in a guy who can show the Heir to the Throne (Jason Garrett) the ropes of coaching in the bigs.

I doubt he gets hired, it might be Jones making his one minority interview.  Not saying Singletary would be a bad idea, just saying I think Garrett is Jones boy, and we all know how that works.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 29, 2007, 09:00:12 PM

Would make more sense than Turner since Garrett is an offensive guy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 29, 2007, 09:07:35 PM

Would make more sense than Turner since Garrett is an offensive guy.
That is why it would make sense, IMO.  Norv is an offensive guy, a former HC who played for some bad owners (Snyder and Davis), and could show Garrett how the place is run.  I truly think Jason Garrett is going to be the HC in two or three seasons no matter what happens.

#7 : January 29, 2007, 09:21:14 PM

This might be a bad idea, because he is a newbie HC, and Jones wants to bring in a guy who can show the Heir to the Throne (Jason Garrett) the ropes of coaching in the bigs.

I doubt he gets hired, it might be Jones making his one minority interview.  Not saying Singletary would be a bad idea, just saying I think Garrett is Jones boy, and we all know how that works.

The Cowboys have already fulfilled their minority interview obligations. I think you're right about Garrett though, otherwise, why would they have already hired him? And what kind of signal would that send to someone interviewing for the head coaching position that you've already hired some of the staff with no input from them?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 29, 2007, 09:48:42 PM

I doubt he gets hired, it might be Jones making his one minority interview. Not saying Singletary would be a bad idea, just saying I think Garrett is Jones boy, and we all know how that works.

The Cowboys have already fulfilled their minority interview obligations. I think you're right about Garrett though, otherwise, why would they have already hired him? And what kind of signal would that send to someone interviewing for the head coaching position that you've already hired some of the staff with no input from them?

Theyhave?  Who did they interview that was a minority?  Just curious.

And the next head coach is sure to know what the dealy-O is.  You get hired to coach the team, and to mentor Jason Garrett.  Could take two to three seasons, but hey, Garrett is young.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 29, 2007, 10:05:30 PM

I doubt he gets hired, it might be Jones making his one minority interview. Not saying Singletary would be a bad idea, just saying I think Garrett is Jones boy, and we all know how that works.

Theyhave? Who did they interview that was a minority? Just curious.

And the next head coach is sure to know what the dealy-O is. You get hired to coach the team, and to mentor Jason Garrett. Could take two to three seasons, but hey, Garrett is young.

Cowboys defensive backs coach Todd Bowles, who has ZERO chance of getting the job, and looks an awful lot like a 'token' interview to satisfy the Rooney Rule

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 29, 2007, 10:06:11 PM

Thanks Bradentonian.

T

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 30, 2007, 12:24:13 AM

If Turner gets the job he'll fail like he did in Oakland and Washington. If I was Jones I'd give Singletary a long, hard look.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 30, 2007, 02:38:08 AM

If Turner gets the job he'll fail like he did in Oakland and Washington. If I was Jones I'd give Singletary a long, hard look.

Turner failed in Oaktown because he worked with Davis, and the guy is a moron, and makes all the team decisions.

Snyder is also a very bad owner who breaks the bank on scrubs.

I'd be a little leary of judging Turner too harshly based on his failures in towns where the coach is less than what he should be.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#13 : January 30, 2007, 07:26:47 AM

Turner failed in Oaktown because he worked with Davis, and the guy is a moron, and makes all the team decisions.

Snyder is also a very bad owner who breaks the bank on scrubs.

I'd be a little leary of judging Turner too harshly based on his failures in towns where the coach is less than what he should be.
Some guys are just meant to be coordinators... Turner is one of them. However hating the 'Pukes as much as I do I would love to see Turner get hired there.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 30, 2007, 05:54:40 AM

I'd hire him just to kick TO's ass. LOL

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Singletary To Interview With The Cowboys « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools