Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you be upset if the Bucs went all lineman? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#30 : January 31, 2007, 10:02:20 AM

The line doesn't have a whole lot to do with catching the ball....so I'm not sure it helps Clayton all that much.

Yeah...I do still hold some hope that he'll actually get over whatever mental block he has about catching the ball right now.  He has this year to prove that he belongs on this team.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#31 : January 31, 2007, 10:28:00 AM

Yeah...I do still hold some hope that he'll actually get over whatever mental block he has about catching the ball right now.  He has this year to prove that he belongs on this team.

There are two team differences from Clayton's good year and bad years. The QB play has got worse, and Gruden gameplans to use Galloway more.

#32 : January 31, 2007, 10:41:15 AM

There are two team differences from Clayton's good year and bad years. The QB play has got worse, and Gruden gameplans to use Galloway more.

I agree, but that doesn't explain why he doesn't catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 31, 2007, 10:43:18 AM

I agree, but that doesn't explain why he doesn't catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.

Galloway does the same thing, but then gets more chances to make plays. When Clayton drops one of the two passes they throw every game, it makes it look worse.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 31, 2007, 10:53:21 AM

Nope, I wouldn't be upset at all.  I'd probably have a slight preference to see the team take a safety with their 2b or round 3 picks, but I surely wouldn't cry if the team really committed to building through the trenches.

#35 : January 31, 2007, 11:32:48 AM

Galloway does the same thing, but then gets more chances to make plays. When Clayton drops one of the two passes they throw every game, it makes it look worse.

Hmmm...I remember a few drops by Galloway, be not with the frequency and consistency that Clayton bring to the whole "dropping the football" thing.

Clayton is a vastly superior pass dropper.

I'd bet that Clayton dropped almost double the % of the passes thrown to him over Galloway.  Anyone have these numbers?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 31, 2007, 11:57:24 AM

Galloway drops more balls than Clayton but Clayton has a slightly higher drop ratio in terms of passes thrown his way than Galloway but that is not a ringing endorsement for Galloway either.   Clayton had the dropsie issue in his rookie year but people forget that becuase he mades plays.  Galloway has a dropsie problem as well but people overlook that becuase he makes plays.  Westbrook has a dropsie problem but he makes big play happen.  Steve Smith has a dropsie problem but makes plays.  TO has a dropsie problem but he makes plays. 

As for WR I firmly believe it is not a major need.  Stovall and Warren clearly showed they could play in this offense if given the oppurtunity and Smith is a good pass catching TE IF given the oppurtunity.  Maybe there is a need to add a speedster to compliment these players but it is not a huge need.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 31, 2007, 12:19:06 PM

I tend to agree ADW. It would be nice to add Calvin Johnson, but I really think there are better picks that could have a greater impact on the team.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 31, 2007, 12:22:11 PM

I am not against CJ but CJ will probably not be replacing Galloway.  CJ would be taking Clayton's spot unless Clayton has a renaissance.

zed

Pro Bowler

#39 : January 31, 2007, 12:54:39 PM

There are more needs for starters on this BUcs team than they are capable of filling iwth 4 draft picks. However, either of these drafts would fulfill 3/4 needs you listed. I think if JOe Thomas is available you cant pass on him. How often can a 30 year old franchise draft a 22 year old guy out of college and at that moment say he is the best ever to play his position in that town? Joe Thomas will be involved in every play, CJ will touch the ball 6-8 times per game maybe
What about Paul Gruber?  It would really be a stretch to say right now that Thomas will be the best ever left tackle we've ever had.  He still has a lot to prove.

tampabayfan

Pro Bowler

#40 : January 31, 2007, 01:00:45 PM

I think we need to focus on defense this draft. What makes this team successful is how well our defense plays. I think to get back to our winning ways is to re-build the defense and find players to replace our HOF players that are closing in on retirement. Now is the time.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you be upset if the Bucs went all lineman? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools