Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lance Briggs Rumors « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

: January 30, 2007, 11:04:15 PM

For us probably not. Lets say the Bucs get two or three weeks into the 2007 season and have an oppurtunity to trade next years first for a holding out Briggs, it would a tough decision but I would probably have to say no. This team is far from veteran laden, so even if we got off to a good start there is no guarantee that we would make the playoffs. Drafting in the top 20 chances are very good that you could get a player who will become the caliber of Briggs at a position that may demonstrate itself at that time to be even more of a need, and that player would come with a much more reasonable 6 year contract. If we were closer to being contenders then I would say yes, but now is not the time to be trading first round draft picks for anyone. 

#1 : January 30, 2007, 05:19:42 PM

The Bears had a chance to lock him up after a 13-3 season last year and refused to do so. Lovie's going to punk the Bears for not showing him "love", watch and see.

I don't know if he'll "punk" them, but he certainly needs a legit top 5 offer.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 30, 2007, 02:15:15 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/234901,CST-SPT-mully30.article

The Bears can't afford to lose Briggs for nothing, so you can consider it a lock that they'll bite the bullet and settle on a one-year deal for more than $7 million that is the average of the league's five highest-paid linebackers. That's when things will get interesting. What does Briggs do when the Bears slap him with the franchise tag by Feb. 22?

Does a guy making $721,600 this season jump at the chance for multimillions, or does a Drew Rosenhaus client follow the lead of defensive end Adewale Ogunleye -- whose acquisition brought Rosenhaus into the Bears' locker room -- and refuse to sign the tender offer in an attempt to force a trade?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 30, 2007, 02:18:03 PM

He will go after a longer term deal, IMO.  He has been woefully underpaid (da BEars!) and will want his due.  His numbers compare very favorably with BUs, so he has a strong leverage point to bargain with.  And if the Bears don't offer him roughly 3 or 4 years guaranteed, he bolts to a team that WILL pay him.  There is enough money floating around out there, espescially this year...

I can see him bolting to Frisco.  Or maybe to Arizona.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 30, 2007, 02:22:47 PM

The Bears are going to lose Lovie and Briggs this off-season.

Briggs will be a Buc next year, bank on it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 30, 2007, 02:23:27 PM

Oh, and some people are under the assumption that the Bears have a lot tied up in the defense, and this is very true.

But the Bears win big time with this very same unit, so it makes sense to keep it intact.  I wonder how an Adalious(sp) Thomas would fare in Briggs stead?

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 30, 2007, 02:31:51 PM

Where is Lovie going?   And why would he?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 30, 2007, 02:37:58 PM

Where is Lovie going? And why would he?

The Bears had a chance to lock him up after a 13-3 season last year and refused to do so. Lovie's going to punk the Bears for not showing him "love", watch and see.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#8 : January 30, 2007, 03:37:38 PM

Even though Chicago should have extended Lovie's contract a year ago, I don't think he's gonna leave the Beas anytime soon. He has a good thing going for him right now with a great defense, a sometimes good offense, and a very good GM so why leave that now when he has a chance to make a run for a couple of superbowls.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 30, 2007, 03:56:33 PM

Lovie is a Texas boy from outside of Dallas. I hear that they have an opening.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#10 : January 30, 2007, 04:05:47 PM

The Bears are going to lose Lovie and Briggs this off-season.

Briggs will be a Buc next year, bank on it.

Where is Lovie going? And why would he?

Someone bookmark this thread!!!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 30, 2007, 04:11:04 PM

Thing is once the Bears tag him then his option is to sign, not play or force the trade. What price are you willing to pay for Lance Briggs? The Bears will no doubt want a #1, do you do that?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 30, 2007, 04:23:40 PM

Thing is once the Bears tag him then his option is to sign, not play or force the trade. What price are you willing to pay for Lance Briggs? The Bears will no doubt want a #1, do you do that?

No deal...we need him and our Number one...maybe a one down the line but not this year...how about that?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#13 : January 30, 2007, 04:26:05 PM

Do you have some inside info? Did you have lunch with Lovie? You are just guessing, and your guess has no evidence to support it other than the Bears not extending Lovie a year ago and your assumption thata Lovie took it to the heart. Only complete idiocy wuold suggest a 3rd year head coach who is coaching in the super bowl would leave his job

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#14 : January 30, 2007, 04:27:27 PM

Do you have a list of everyone who has a franchise tag available? Not every team can throw a tag on their best player. Seems everytime there is a discussion about a free agent, you throw the devil's advocate angle of the franchise tag out there.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lance Briggs Rumors « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools