Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger McFarland « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

superbuc

Practice Squad
#30 : January 31, 2007, 04:41:39 PM

WOW. Go, Scott, Go! I agree with you by the way. In the few times I've been around Booger, he is undersized to play the UT. His lack of size does give him quickness off the ball and makes him well-suited for NT.

That's fairly stunningly ack bassward. The NT's job is to eat up blocks and stop the run. The UT is the premium pass-rushing position where speed and quickness really come into play.

O'rlly?  Go to each of these teams depth charts on nfl.com (Bucs, Lions, Colts, Bears, Raiders, and Falcons) and you'll see that most NT's are 6'0" to 6'3 " and closer to 300 lbs.  while each UT is 6'2" to 6'6" (average around 6'3.5") and weighs closer to 310.

Booger beats people to his gap at NT (quickness) but doesn't have the speed to track someone down beyond that (like a pass rusher a la Sapp).  Because he's relatively small (no way he is really 6 feet tall), he has to be quicker to that spot and have perfect technique to "submarine" folks and clog up that gap.

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#31 : January 31, 2007, 05:05:05 PM

Hmm... im not sure why he is nicknamed "booger" but i have  a pretty good idea :)

$$$

vipmark

Starter
#32 : January 31, 2007, 06:32:30 PM

in addition to super's comments, NT's take on two big blockers and therefore must play very low and be very quick off the snap in order to gain leverage. Chuck Darby is a good example of a relatively small guy who get's good leverage with quickness and low pad level

acacius

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 31, 2007, 07:02:21 PM

WOW. Go, Scott, Go! I agree with you by the way. In the few times I've been around Booger, he is undersized to play the UT. His lack of size does give him quickness off the ball and makes him well-suited for NT.

That's fairly stunningly ack bassward. The NT's job is to eat up blocks and stop the run. The UT is the premium pass-rushing position where speed and quickness really come into play.

O'rlly?  Go to each of these teams depth charts on nfl.com (Bucs, Lions, Colts, Bears, Raiders, and Falcons) and you'll see that most NT's are 6'0" to 6'3 " and closer to 300 lbs.  while each UT is 6'2" to 6'6" (average around 6'3.5") and weighs closer to 310.

Booger beats people to his gap at NT (quickness) but doesn't have the speed to track someone down beyond that (like a pass rusher a la Sapp).  Because he's relatively small (no way he is really 6 feet tall), he has to be quicker to that spot and have perfect technique to "submarine" folks and clog up that gap.

Ya Rly.  At least so far as it being the NT's primary responsibility to eat up blockers and the UT's responsibility to rush the passer.  Hence most people's not being terribly put out by Hovan's low sack numbers and how McFarland's excuse for years was that he was playing the NT position.  However, I'll grant you that I'm underestimating the importance of quickness at that position (not that it isn't also very important to an UT) and that when it comes to how that relates to player sizes, I was doing what I like to criticize other people for doing: making arguments that weren't based on cold, hard facts but rather general impressions.

So, for grins, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these as I don't follow many of these teams:
Bucs:
NT - Hovan, 6'2". 298
UT - Wyms, 6'3", 290

Bears, somewhat complicated, but I believe these are the preferred starters:
NT - Johnson, 6'3". 300
UT - Harris, 6'3", 300

Colts:
NT - Booger, 6'0, 300
UT - Brock, 6'4", 274
UT - Simon (if the team could play who they wanted to there), 6'2, 300

Lions:
NT - Bryant (wow, he really was their starter to end the season out), 6'3, 337
NT (on IR) - Cody, 6'4", 293
UT - Redding, 6'4, 290

Vikings:
NT - P. Williams, 6'3", 317
UT - K. Williams, 6'4, 304

Chiefs:
NT - Edwards, 6'3, 315
UT - Reed, 6'0, 286

I preferred that list of teams not out of any desire to cook the books, but because those are the teams who had from the Tampa coaching tree for this last season and that I'm reasonably certain were running the tampa-2 flavor of the defense.  When teams are able to play the players they'd actually like to, I admit that there doesn't seem to be much of a weight difference at all between the starting NT and starting UT.  The Vikings and Chiefs are something of exceptions, but given Herm and Tomlin (had he stuck with the Vikings) time, I'll cheerfully admit they may have changed that.  I'm not really seeing a trend of NTs weighing less than UTs however.

PS: Yes, this is all somewhat worthless, given how much accuracy the sizes and weights on nfl.com can be trusted to have.  At least, I know *I* don't trust them very far at all.

frankbuc

Second String
#34 : January 31, 2007, 07:11:14 PM

this is the same "idiot" that would set on his LARGE a$$ and not stretch while everyone else was working in training camp and then wonder why his brilliant lazyness got him hurt.......so glad he is gone

#35 : January 31, 2007, 11:34:05 PM

I hope Booger gets in a wreck on the way to the Stadium.

Abuccs is back and better than ever!
Hopefully he crashes into Rich mcKay.
LOL
But that would kill a few Tampa media members who are in between McKay's legs...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#36 : January 31, 2007, 11:42:41 PM

I agree with Booger. Unprofessional reaction, SR.  I doubt he said "give me a big contract & kick Sapp to the curb."  They were seen hanging out together in Miami.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 31, 2007, 11:49:53 PM

I agree with Booger.

You would.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#38 : January 31, 2007, 11:54:29 PM

I agree with Booger.

You would.
My perogative.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 01, 2007, 07:48:59 AM

I agree with Booger. Unprofessional reaction, SR. I doubt he said "give me a big contract & kick Sapp to the curb." They were seen hanging out together in Miami.

If Karen feels this way then it was a great response SR. I loved it, he's sticking up for our team.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 01, 2007, 08:45:07 AM

I agree with Booger. Unprofessional reaction, SR.  I doubt he said "give me a big contract & kick Sapp to the curb."  They were seen hanging out together in Miami.

I doubt he really said more than "give me a big contract" either.  That said, I can't imagine he didn't say that much (what players don't?) and doing so would have inevitable consequences, regardless of whether or not he set out to kick Sapp to the curb.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 01, 2007, 08:55:24 AM

Believe me, if you had asked Booger if he felt he could play the UT as well as Sapp did here before he was switched to UT, he would have told you he could.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 01, 2007, 08:59:44 AM

Hes gone, thank god and we even got a 2nd rounder for trading a Nose Tackle. 

Good bye so long, wont be to hard to find a replacement.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

#43 : February 01, 2007, 09:42:36 AM

Your anti-Gruden bias is ridiculous, Karen.  Whether or not Sapp and Booger are friends has nothing to do with it.  When you pressure your bosses to pay more, especially when they are on a limited budget, you don't get to criticize them for not spending in some other way the money that eventually went to you.

Some of the crap that gets posted to this board is so exhasperating.

original

Pro Bowler

#44 : February 01, 2007, 02:18:43 PM

I am so glad we flicked Booger away and managed a late second round pick for it. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Booger McFarland « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools