Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dear Bill Muir... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Max Power

Starter

#15 : February 01, 2007, 07:58:40 AM

I'm not solely blaming Alstott. I just criticized the Olines run blocking as a whole just a few posts up. But the fact remains he is not and has never been even an adequate run blocker. He just doesn't have it. That's as big a deal with Alstott as it is for any linemen.  That's his position, that's his job, to block people and that's it. As a fullback the ability to run the ball is secondary. If we need a big runningback then get a big runningback. Bad Oline or not, at least the guys approach adequacy in their run blocking, and some Like Buenning and Joseph are pretty good at it.

It's like wanting to keep a bad left tackle on the roster and starting in the game just because he has soft hands for that rare "tackle eligible " play.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 01, 2007, 08:14:32 AM

I'm not solely blaming Alstott. I just criticized the Olines run blocking as a whole just a few posts up. But the fact remains he is not and has never been even an adequate run blocker. He just doesn't have it. That's as big a deal with Alstott as it is for any linemen. That's his position, that's his job, to block people and that's it. As a fullback the ability to run the ball is secondary. If we need a big runningback then get a big runningback. Bad Oline or not, at least the guys approach adequacy in their run blocking, and some Like Buenning and Joseph are pretty good at it.

It's like wanting to keep a bad left tackle on the roster and starting in the game just because he has soft hands for that rare "tackle eligible " play.
It's not like that at all. You are grossly overexagerrating here.

Mike Alstott's run blocking has been adequate the last two seasons.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Max Power

Starter

#17 : February 01, 2007, 08:42:15 AM

And I disagree. Being in the right position to make a block is only half the battle. Once he's there Alstott's dainty blocking just doesn't get it done.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 01, 2007, 01:24:44 PM

Jesus.  LEt's rag on Alstotts run blocking and blame him for Caddys woes...

Alstott has run blocked adequately back there.  He is no Max Strong, but he does a good enough job back there.  He is not the issue in the running game, trust that...

(Slaps forehead)

Ironphister

Second String

#19 : February 01, 2007, 03:09:37 PM

Dear Bill,

Please spend less time on the "Lineman walking around helping up the QB and the RB" Drill and more time on the "OL blocking to the echo of the whistle drill".

Love,

'phist

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 01, 2007, 05:03:05 PM

And I disagree. Being in the right position to make a block is only half the battle. Once he's there Alstott's dainty blocking just doesn't get it done.
Alot of teams don't even employ a true fullback these days, so to say we are playing with one less blocker than everyone else is an incorrect statement. We have some of the better blocking WR's in the league. Alstott's blocking issues had nothing to do with our lack of a running attack last year.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 01, 2007, 05:04:25 PM

Alot of teams don't even employ a true fullback these days, so to say we are playing with one less blocker than everyone else is an incorrect statement. We have some of the better blocking WR's in the league. Alstott's blocking issues had nothing to do with our lack of a running attack last year.
FINALLY!  SOME DAMN SENSE!

Max Power

Starter

#22 : February 01, 2007, 06:11:38 PM

???

Max Power

Starter

#23 : February 01, 2007, 06:11:56 PM

???

Max Power

Starter

#24 : February 01, 2007, 06:12:14 PM

???

Max Power

Starter

#25 : February 01, 2007, 06:12:31 PM

???

Max Power

Starter

#26 : February 01, 2007, 07:06:04 PM

First off I'll admit it was something I heard Mellisa Pittman say the day after the superbowl win that has definitely turned me off on Alstott. I just flat out don't like the guy. In hindsight it's obvious Warrick Dunn was never going to resign with the bucs. And throughout his career he has used Deumig as his microphone instead of just saying what he wants to say himself. With both Gruden and Dungy.

I've never let it blind me to the guys skills though. As a runner his ability to get low is absolutely unmatched. As a fullback (I guess) only Larry Centers has had better hands in recent times. But he can't block. He can't and never will, or at least he'll never want to. Don't you think it's kind of odd that a guy who can run so low behind his shoulder pads is such a "flat" blocker. No bend at all and no push at all for a guy it comes naturally to.

Max Power

Starter

#27 : February 01, 2007, 06:12:51 PM

???

Max Power

Starter

#28 : February 01, 2007, 06:13:24 PM

The Olines run blocking hasn't been very impressive but our passblocking has been adequate for the most part.  We need a QB with the instincts to step up in the pocket and help his damn tackles out a little bit while they ride the DE's around the back of the pocket.

That said the guy has been a miracle worker with Alstott's run blocking. Under Muirs tenure Mikes blocking has gone from pathetic to below average. I can't wait till that waste of a fullback retires so we can run block with the same number of players everyone else in the NFL does.

Edit: Sorry. Tabs.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#29 : February 01, 2007, 06:13:29 PM

Quoting yourself only makes you look like a Falcon fan...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dear Bill Muir... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools