Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He is big, fast, smart, sure-handed, runs exact routes and is intensely comp... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#60 : February 01, 2007, 01:45:11 PM

There is no way that CJ runs a 4.35. I bet he runs somewhere in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s. And I'll tell you what, I don't care either way. The guy is a monster and whatever he runs should be irrelevent in the mold of Larry Fitzgerald.

You are right there is no way CJ will run a 4.35 but if he is in the 4.5's I think we will trading down. 

Mellow

Starter

#61 : February 01, 2007, 02:58:05 PM

Jon Grudens WCO offense, 5 yard slant patterns/YAC's is a waste for Calvin Johnson here

We need a safety and a DT

We need a WR too. Galloway and Ike aren't getting any younger. That leaves you Clayton, Stovall, and Warren-- you comfortable with that???

This sort of argument makes me scratch my head.  "We need CJ because our present recievers, who are still productive (well, at least Galloway and Hilliard), are getting older."  Where was that argument last year, or the year before, when we still had aging but still effective DTs, DEs, and LBs?  And why is it more important now to plan for the eventual replacement of Galloway and Hilliard by drafting CJ when the need is already there for several defensive positions?  Sometimes it seems that people will argue for offense no matter how old and poor the defense gets. 

redtab78

Pro Bowler
#62 : February 01, 2007, 03:10:43 PM

no doubt the boy is good, I just dont think he will do us any good unless we have a QB to throw to him...................and Simms is not the answer IMO

Anyone who thinks Tim Tebow will be a great NFL QB is an idiot.

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#63 : February 01, 2007, 04:03:49 PM

If we don't get Johnson then trade down for the Kid from Louisville. The lions are going to take Thomas Matt Millen we get killed for taking another WR with a first round pick

leeroyselmon07

Starter

#64 : February 01, 2007, 04:04:35 PM

I don't think Simms is the answer either so I think we should try to bring in Carr

#65 : February 01, 2007, 07:52:07 PM

While I'm not necessarily opposed to the notion of CJ playing for us.  In fact I think he helps us out to have another deep threat, and pushes the talent up more.  But here are a couple of things that concern me.

1. Michael Clayton: not sure what happened here, but perhaps dalbuc said it best right after he was drafted in that he was the only WR at that time that was ready to play.  But I don't like tying a lot of money or draft picks into one position on the field.

2. We have virtually neglected drafting defensively in the first round for a long time.  Especially along the d-line.  We should really be concerned about how little of a pass rush we have right now.  I know some don't think we should draft that high defensively, but if what Okoye has been showing is any indication, he may lock himself in as a top 10 prospect, and we already know he has a lot of upside.  Thomas IMO would be a guy that I would like with our first pick, but there really is no sure bet he'll be there for us.

I would like for us to really consider trading down this year in all seriousness.  CJ may indeed be solid for many years to come, but what other players could we get with more picks with a later 1st round pick and another day 1 pick?

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#66 : February 01, 2007, 08:20:48 PM

I'm starting to jump on the Joe Thomas bandwagon. Shore up the o-line. And 2a could easily bring in Sidney Rice or one of those late round 1 talent guys. Take the sure pick and gamble a WR. Then go defense on whomever is best but pick up the Alabama FB (almost had a seizure saying that) and a center and we're set to compete for a wild card.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#67 : February 01, 2007, 08:32:56 PM

Jon Grudens WCO offense, 5 yard slant patterns/YAC's is a waste for Calvin Johnson here

We need a safety and a DT

We need a WR too. Galloway and Ike aren't getting any younger. That leaves you Clayton, Stovall, and Warren-- you comfortable with that???

This sort of argument makes me scratch my head. "We need CJ because our present recievers, who are still productive (well, at least Galloway and Hilliard), are getting older." Where was that argument last year, or the year before, when we still had aging but still effective DTs, DEs, and LBs? And why is it more important now to plan for the eventual replacement of Galloway and Hilliard by drafting CJ when the need is already there for several defensive positions? Sometimes it seems that people will argue for offense no matter how old and poor the defense gets.

Sometimes it seems people forget we are drafting 3/4 right now and there is not a Safety or DT ranked high enough there. WR is a need one of the softer needs but still a need,  we dont have a clear cut #2 going into this season. Now I wouldn't mind seeing Gaines Adams either at that spot since he is worthy of a #3 or 4 pick. But as of right now there is not a DT or Safety that commands a #3 or 4. My true hope is Thomas falls to us but that looks unlikely. My other hope is if Thomas isn't there to trade down and pick up and extra 2nd and grab Okoye. And who knows if Okoye shines at the combines like he did at the Sr Bowl maybe he moves up to top 5.

But if we remain #3/4 as trades dont come all that often you take the BPA and thats either Russell, Thomas, CJ, Quinn, or Adams. And either of those other than the 2 QB's could easily start day 1 for us.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#68 : February 02, 2007, 12:24:48 AM

i wouldnt cry if we drafted calvin johnson.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#69 : February 02, 2007, 12:48:12 AM

Mike Williams isn't smart, fast, or sure-heanded.

He's just big.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: He is big, fast, smart, sure-handed, runs exact routes and is intensely comp... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools