Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did we see enough last season from... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 02, 2007, 08:57:37 AM

He averaged about 8 tackles per game that he started. I don't recall getting run over in any of those games nor the middle of the field getting abused because he wasn't getting into his drops.  The only the we didn't see- INT, forced fumbles or passes broken up. He can tackle but we didn't see any playmaking but that doesn't worry me much either.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 02, 2007, 09:21:57 AM

I think with improvement of the Dline, we'll see the backers with more opportunities for turnovers, etc.  I feel quite good about Ruud's future.  Let's put it this way, he probably had the best teacher in Quarles.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

Shag

Pro Bowler

#17 : February 02, 2007, 10:08:56 AM

Ruud should have started the rest of the season instead of bringing Quarles back. I'm tired of moves like that. Quarles is not the future here. I'm not sure what more we need than a 4-12 team with the worst defense we've had in a decade to tell the coaches it's time to rebuild and not let these old vets keep the young players off the field.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#18 : February 02, 2007, 12:57:50 PM

Right now, he is more Jamie Duncan and Nate Webster than Q or Nickerson. He played better last year, but he still seems to catch the runner more than strike him. I think he will be an average starter but never anything great and not a Pro Bowler.

Ironphister

Second String

#19 : February 02, 2007, 02:05:44 PM

quarles looks much better on an average defense than he does on a great defense where he'd be considered the weak link.

if ruud can't beat out quarles then there aren't alot of guys he could beat out.  quarles was the lesser of two evils - not the solution.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 02, 2007, 02:09:00 PM

Ruud should have started the rest of the season instead of bringing Quarles back. I'm tired of moves like that. Quarles is not the future here. I'm not sure what more we need than a 4-12 team with the worst defense we've had in a decade to tell the coaches it's time to rebuild and not let these old vets keep the young players off the field.

This staff doesn't play for the future. They didn't in 2004 either. They fought with Derrick Deese and the rest of that crowd to the bitter end. Same thing last year, heck they even regressed on that front by yanking a potential future to roll Rattay out there 6-8 weeks after it mattered.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 02, 2007, 02:22:59 PM

quarles looks much better on an average defense than he does on a great defense where he'd be considered the weak link.

Was Q the weak link on the 2002 Bucs? How about the other top ten defenses over the last several seasons?

I'm in agreement that the Bucs need to move on, but c'mon.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 02, 2007, 02:27:30 PM

Rudd has not shown the quality needed -  he has shown potential - both good and bad.  JMHO

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Ironphister

Second String

#23 : February 02, 2007, 02:45:11 PM

Q was easily the weak link of the 2002 D, and among the weaknesses of the non-SB years.  he was a journeyman special teamer with Singleton - every year was a coin flip to see who would actually get some PT.  would he have been a "Pro Bowler" on any other defense?  hell no.

i'm not saying the guy is garbage, but he ain't ray lewis either.  ruud should have easily won that job in year two if he were the man.  the team doesn't need examples of how to be a pro when you have guys like Brooks and Barber around.  Q is hanging around because he's better than Ruud - that's the problem.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 02, 2007, 03:03:34 PM

He was a journeyman special teamer years ago - so what? That was ancient history, when he was playing SLB. He's a perfect fit for the MLB spot in the Tampa-2, and just because the Bucs stumbled upon that fact late in his career shouldn't detract from his performance. 

Quarles would have had success on virtually any similar style defense, because he's got the rare ability to cover the deep middle. And if you think he was the weak link on any of these defenses since he moved to MLB you should talk to Joe Barry.

I agree it's a bad thing that Ruud can't beat him out, but that's only because Quarles is in his mid-30s and Ruud is a 25 year-old, 2nd round pick in his 3rd year.   

Ironphister

Second String

#25 : February 02, 2007, 03:18:37 PM

so you're with me that eventually Cash and the other guy on special teams are gonna open some eyes next camp?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 02, 2007, 03:22:12 PM

Mallard?

They have already opened eyes.  They are great ST guys.

Ironphister

Second String

#27 : February 02, 2007, 03:24:37 PM

equating Quarles to superstar status is like being a Buc fan that was thinking "hey Chris Simms is gonna be a star" (pre-spleen).  we've never had a star MLB and we've never had a star QB.  Put the Steve Young and Doug Williams stuff to bed - they both sucked here and went on to be much better when the surrounding cast was improved...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 02, 2007, 04:58:26 PM

equating Quarles to superstar status is like being a Buc fan that was thinking "hey Chris Simms is gonna be a star" (pre-spleen).  we've never had a star MLB and we've never had a star QB.  Put the Steve Young and Doug Williams stuff to bed - they both sucked here and went on to be much better when the surrounding cast was improved...

We do know what good MLB plays looks like in this defense- Nickerson. Quarles is a good player and he's far frm a weak link. Saying that is like the folks who thought Brady wasn't "for real" because he was a 6th rounder. Bottom line, he's very good in this defense and the fact that Ruud can't pass him isn't an indictment of ruud but a mark of strength for Quarles.

#2Linebacker32

Starter

#29 : February 02, 2007, 07:07:44 PM

He averaged about 8 tackles per game that he started. I don't recall getting run over in any of those games nor the middle of the field getting abused because he wasn't getting into his drops. The only the we didn't see- INT, forced fumbles or passes broken up. He can tackle but we didn't see any playmaking but that doesn't worry me much either.

Yeah Rudd played well but you could see the ddiference in the way we played the run when Q was heathly and in the line up. I think Q average somewhere around 10 or 12 tackles a game this past season. Yeah 36 is his age but he playes like he's in his 20's. Sorry to say but i still see Q in there for at least next season. I know Q is one of Grudens and Kiffin's favorite guys on that D and i dont see him getting cut or released from the team just because Rud is younger. the fact of the matter is Quarels is playing like a man possessed and you cannot cut a player like him it will have a negative effect n the D because of the high level that he's playing at.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did we see enough last season from... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools