Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dwight Freeney can't play on grass? « previous next »
Page: 1

psymun

Starter
« : February 02, 2007, 10:18:19 AM »

This sort of surprised me when I heard this, but then I looked up the stats, and it's true... He really can't...

He started out playing at the SU dome... And now he plays for the colts...

I really wanted freeney... but if he can't play on grass... we'd be in trouble...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 02, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »

I looked at: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/313800/gamelogs/2005 To check this.

He had 5.5 sacks on turf (all his home games) and 5.5 on grass (@ SF, HOU, PIT, TEN, SD, ARI (pre new staudium it was a grass IIRC) so I'm not seeing this.

One would suspect he's gonna have more sacks on turf overall since he will play at least half his games on turf plus any away games on the plastic. You also assume that for a speed rusher the crowd noise factor at home is gonna be huge so since home is a beeter chance of getting sacks and home has turf I'd expect some overall disparity but just taking a single season it isn't even obvious that that factor exists.

Where'd you read this?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 02, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »

This sort of surprised me when I heard this, but then I looked up the stats, and it's true... He really can't...

He started out playing at the SU dome... And now he plays for the colts...

I really wanted freeney... but if he can't play on grass... we'd be in trouble...

What stats?  That he's played on turf most of his career or that his production is bad on grass?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 02, 2007, 10:31:07 AM »

One would suspect he's gonna have more sacks on turf overall since he will play at least half his games on turf plus any away games on the plastic.

That's exactly what I thought of when reading the thread title.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4 : February 02, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »

He is going to play better on turf, he is a speed rusher.  Grass slows everyone down.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dwight Freeney can't play on grass? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools