Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: While I'm not advocating passing on Thomas if available, just imagine « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: February 02, 2007, 01:44:49 PM

If the Bucs do grab CJ with the 3rd or 4th pick, you'd have 2 6'5" WR's along with a speedy JG. That's an incredible match-up problem for any defense. Who do you brackett? Who do you double? As we saw with Stovall late this past year, he doesn't really have to be open, just throw the ball high and let him go get it.

That would be an incredible advantage, to say the least. The offensive weapons with Caddy, Smith, CJ, Stovall, and Galloway sounds pretty damn good doesn't it?

Again, not that I'm advocating passing on Thomas but man that would be nice.

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 02, 2007, 04:57:53 PM

And we'll have 3 recievers out exactly how often?  We don't ddo it often now because of the lack of confidence in the OL.  Unless it's upgraded through FA, it needs to be done through the draft.  Either way, it needs to be done, because until it is, this O is running on 1 cylinder.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 02, 2007, 05:23:39 PM

Agree with that cara. All starts up front. Doesn't matter how many WRs are out in a pattern if the QB is on his butt.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 02, 2007, 06:22:28 PM

Like I said, this isn't what I'm pulling for but even if you had CJ and Stovall out there, that's a nasty combination.

#4 : February 02, 2007, 06:23:34 PM

And if our O-line can learn how to block, Gruden might finally be able to utilize the weapons he has, with which the possibilities are fun to think about.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#5 : February 02, 2007, 07:03:53 PM

If the Bucs do grab CJ with the 3rd or 4th pick, you'd have 2 6'5" WR's along with a speedy JG. That's an incredible match-up problem for any defense. Who do you brackett? Who do you double? As we saw with Stovall late this past year, he doesn't really have to be open, just throw the ball high and let him go get it.

That would be an incredible advantage, to say the least. The offensive weapons with Caddy, Smith, CJ, Stovall, and Galloway sounds pretty damn good doesn't it?

It's a shame Anthony Davis didn't pan out. You're not in a position very often to aquire a player who appears to have the game changing qualities Calvin Johnson has. It sucks that we have to pass on a guy like that to shore up a weakness that has plagued this franchise for 31 years.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#6 : February 02, 2007, 07:11:52 PM

And then we're only a 2nd year QB away from being the Arizona Cardinals.

You Got BUCd Up

Second String

#7 : February 02, 2007, 08:06:32 PM

Funny, everyone is using a fascinating keyword "IF"...
If this, if that, if the QB's on his butt...
I do recall our OL standing it's ground against the #1 "D" in CHICAGO...
Therefore, quit thinking our OL isn't capable of pass protection...
It is and it does, you guys act like every single down our QB was on his butt...
JG84 isn't getting any younger...
On that note "DRAFT CJ21"...FOR THE FUTURE

and I'm out like a fat kid in a game of dodgeball...

"People make themselves out to be idiots... I'm just here to help them realize it."

Hallelujah holla back...

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#8 : February 02, 2007, 08:09:26 PM

Funny, everyone is using a fascinating keyword "IF"...
If this, if that, if the QB's on his butt...
I do recall our OL standing it's ground against the #1 "D" in CHICAGO...
Therefore, quit thinking our OL isn't capable of pass protection...
It is and it does, you guys act like every single down our QB was on his butt...
Draft CJ, JG84 isn't getting any younger...
On that note "DRAFT CJ21"...FOR THE FUTURE

and I'm out like a fat kid in a game of dodgeball...

No, not every down....but that's because we used 2 TE's and kept the RB in to block.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 02, 2007, 08:22:33 PM

It's a shame Anthony Davis didn't pan out. You're not in a position very often to aquire a player who appears to have the game changing qualities Calvin Johnson has. It sucks that we have to pass on a guy like that to shore up a weakness that has plagued this franchise for 31 years.
Yeah, but it's not always about the "skill position" guys.  By "game-changing ability" I am thinking you are looking at the ability to make plays After the catch or get open, etc,.  By that standard you have to look at the 'dominant' WR's of recent history.  T.O and Moss are possibly the best two recievers to come out in the last 20 years, as far as "game-changing ability".  I'd put either of them above Rice by that yardstick.  As an individual player, Rice was damn good, but he wasn't T.O. good -- he was just more consistent and a better teammate, and willing to do what the other 2 weren't.  WHat's the ring ratio from Rice to T.O. ?  Or Rice to Moss?
Vick's got "game-changing ability".  Cat can MOVE.  Rings? Nope.
LT is maybe the best RB in Decades.  Rings?  Zero.
TIki?  He's got "game-changing ability".  Rings? yeah I know.

Point is, there's a helluva lot more than just that one stud to be "The Team".  There's over 50 men on a team and it takes almost every one to make a champion.  Not just a couple guys with "game-changing ability".  Ask Dan Snyder.  Or McKay, he's had a few on his teams.  Or Dungy -- if Manning doesn't have "game-changing ability", nobody does. Or Marty... I could go on, and on, but I think I made my point.  'Game changers' are overrated.  The only spot where that really ever seems to matter is QB, and even that's not 100% - more than one Great QB is ringless.  It's more about building a solid-across-the-board team, with one strong point than it is about getting just fricking 00BER at one area.  No matter how good the D, a crappy offense spells Doom.  Or a great O undone by a lame D.  Or a solid but not spectalur O AND D undone by God-Awful ST. or a choke kicker.

In Sum: Screw the Gamebreaker, give me solid lines.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#10 : February 03, 2007, 01:06:32 AM

The thing I don't like is the CJ supporters make it seem like Galloway is very close to being done and Stovall is nothing. Then you get a topic like this saying Galloway and Stovall would add significantly to our passing attack, not just CJ. What does everyone honestly think of our WR with/without CJ, agendas aside? I'd like to know.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#11 : February 03, 2007, 05:38:37 AM

The thing I don't like is the CJ supporters make it seem like Galloway is very close to being done and Stovall is nothing. Then you get a topic like this saying Galloway and Stovall would add significantly to our passing attack, not just CJ. What does everyone honestly think of our WR with/without CJ, agendas aside? I'd like to know.
Well, I'll give you my take. I don't classify myself as a CJ supporter. My only angst is that we've tried to fix the O-line, and it hasn't worked. We're still fixing it. Had it been fixed just one of the times we've tried, then Joe Thomas wouldn't even be a thought. I would rather have Joe Thomas in the current state of the team. My only point was, too bad we have to use such a high draft pick on a position we have already been trying to fix for some time now. It's not very often(hopefully) that you pick this high. When you do, it's nice to be able to pick what looks to be a game changing skill position player.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: While I'm not advocating passing on Thomas if available, just imagine « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools