Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CBS's Coverage Sucked!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

T

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 05, 2007, 07:04:00 PM

Simms and Aikman are my favorite former atheletes turned broadcasters. Very well spoken and unbiased announcers. Whenever Theisman announces you can hear the bias and ego.

#16 : February 05, 2007, 08:55:15 PM

Their sound was horrible and their picture was not 1080p HD

No one broadcasts in 1080p anywhere in the world. ;) There aren't even plans to use 1080p in the future, the bandwidth just isn't there on 99% of networks.

Probably true, I just think Fox and NBC's Hi Def looks a lot more clear.. can you explain this?

I don't doubt that, but they are not transmitting in 1080p.  Here are a couple of extracts from the link below:

It’s also worth noting that compression systems continually improve. But broadcasters will likely use the improvements to cram more into their channels, leaving 720p’s advantage over 1080p. 

Similarly, although 1080p looked better than 720p uncompressed, at the EBU IBC demo it looked worse after compression.

Basically the broadcaster don't have the bandwidth to transmit 1080p,  unless they use a fiber network like Verizon FIOS.  Even if they did have the bandwidth the 1080p signal doesn't uncompress very well with current standards.

http://televisionbroadcast.com/articles/article_1467.shtml

#17 : February 05, 2007, 08:56:01 PM

CBS and HD don't go together, they only broadcast a few games a week in HD anyhow.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 05, 2007, 09:51:33 PM

Neat read MJS, but I was just looking for someone to wipe the raindrops off of the lens - not too technical even for CBS I don't think. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#19 : February 05, 2007, 09:59:55 PM

Neat read MJS, but I was just looking for someone to wipe the raindrops off of the lens - not too technical even for CBS I don't think.

LOL.....it was pathetic wasn't it.   ::)

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 05, 2007, 11:56:12 PM

I think Fox broadcasts in 720p while CBS broadcasts in 1080i. At least on my Samsung, the 720p looks a hell of a lot better than 1080i. Eventually they'll start broadcasting in 1080p....which my tv can do.

Currently the only time I get to see the wonders of 1080p is with Blu Ray (thank you PS3).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 05, 2007, 11:59:00 PM

Simms and Aikman are my favorite former atheletes turned broadcasters. Very well spoken and unbiased announcers. Whenever Theisman announces you can hear the bias and ego.

I like Simms a good deal.  I wish Costas would broadcast some games.

Aikman is a dud, he does make some biased, off-the-wall comments from time to time.  I would hate to hear him do a Cowboys game...UGH!

Really, Simms is probably my favorite announcer.  Deckerhoff has a great voice for sure (aren't we lucky).

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 06, 2007, 01:32:14 AM

Was the CBS one the one with Sterling Sharpe?   The one I saw had Sterling Sharpe.   I think it was the international broadcast though.   Normally Troy Aikman does the international, he's ok.   Sterling was horrible.   He acts like he knows everything, but he is almost always wrong.  At one point in the game, the Bears were down by 8 and Sterling was saying they need to get Grossman throwing the ball more.   He said Grossman was a good QB and could win the game if they let him open it up more, that they need to stop being so conservative.   Then Grossman completed a pass to Muhammed and Sharpe said "I told you!  Grossman can throw the ball if you let him!   They need to keep throwing!".    The very next pass was intercepted for a TD basically putting a dagger in the Bears.    Sharpe says "he shouldn't have thrown that pass".   No kidding, einstein.

gone

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 06, 2007, 02:25:00 AM

I like Simms a good deal.  I wish Costas would broadcast some games.

Aikman is a dud, he does make some biased, off-the-wall comments from time to time.  I would hate to hear him do a Cowboys game...UGH!

Really, Simms is probably my favorite announcer.  Deckerhoff has a great voice for sure (aren't we lucky).

I like Gannon.

#24 : February 06, 2007, 03:43:19 AM

Eventually they'll start broadcasting in 1080p....which my tv can do.

Everything I have read from the broadcast industry and the tech sites suggests that 1080p might never get adopted for broadcasts.  The 1080p signal doesn't uncompress well with current compression protocols. The picture difference between 780p and 1080p is minimal, but the bandwidth required is treble.  Even the compressed signal is 30mbs, and most coaxial networks have a limit of 40-50 mbs.    That means the vast majority of the US homes could watch one channel per household, no recording a 2nd channel or surfing the web.   

Broadcaster are more interested in On-Demand and other services right now, and that requires extra bandwidth as well.  Until we all have fiber all the way to the house, 1080p just ain't happening.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 07, 2007, 02:01:14 AM

I like Simms a good deal. I wish Costas would broadcast some games.

Aikman is a dud, he does make some biased, off-the-wall comments from time to time. I would hate to hear him do a Cowboys game...UGH!

Really, Simms is probably my favorite announcer. Deckerhoff has a great voice for sure (aren't we lucky).

I like Gannon.
Gannon has taken some shots at the Bucs.  I guess they were deserved though...not professional, but deserved...  :'(

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#26 : February 07, 2007, 08:14:14 AM

I think a lot of those foggy, raindrop covered shots were coming from the camera suspended over the field. Kind of hard to wipe the lens off of that one on a regular basis. If you put a long lens cover over that camera, you're going to get a tunnel shot which defeats the purpose. An argument could be made, however, that the use of that camera could have been minimized given the conditions.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: CBS's Coverage Sucked!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools