Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
« : February 05, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »

"Coordinator Mike Martz let the proverbial cat out of the bag late last week when he was quoted as saying a quarterback did not figure in the Lions’ plans for their first-round pick at the 2007 draft. Detroit has the second pick overall at this year’s draft where they would presumably get a look at at least one of QBs Jamarcus Russell of LSU or Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, the two top-rated players at this year’s draft."

If this is true, then they are surely going to take Joe Thomas. If this happens, then the Raiders will determine if we draft CJ, a QB or trade down. If the Raiders draft CJ, then we will have one of the QBs there. If that is the case, we can either take the one that's left or drop down and let a team trade up who wants a QB. If the Raiders draft a QB, then it won't matter where we pick because Cleveland will take the 2nd QB available and that would leave CJ to us.

I think if we are sitting there at 3 or 4 and CJ is there, we have to take him (especially with Thomas almost certainly being gone). If he does go to the Raiders though, then I want the Bucs to trade down. I'd rather pick up someone like Okoye in picks 7-10 and get another 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. That would give us 6 day one players. We could possibly end up with a DT like Okoye, a DE like Carricker, a S like Marryweather, a C like Kalil, and 2 3rd round picks. All 4 of those guys could come right in and challenge for starting jobs.

Then there's the scenario of trading with Houston our #1 for their #1, #2, and Carr. That would get us the same number of picks (minus the 3rd rounder, but we'd have another young QB that could challenge Simms and be a security blanket in case Simms struggles or gets hurt again).

Also, none of that even uses possible trades of Rice or Kelly. This should be a really fun draft.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 05, 2007, 05:17:13 PM »

I think if we are sitting there at 3 or 4 and CJ is there, we have to take him

I disagree.  If he is on the board when we pick, I hope we are working the phones for trades.

mrwycka

Second String

« #2 : February 05, 2007, 05:19:33 PM »

Good thoughts! I agree I think Detroit will take Joe Thomas.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 05, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »

"Coordinator Mike Martz let the proverbial cat out of the bag late last week when he was quoted as saying a quarterback did not figure in the Lions’ plans for their first-round pick at the 2007 draft. Detroit has the second pick overall at this year’s draft where they would presumably get a look at at least one of QBs Jamarcus Russell of LSU or Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, the two top-rated players at this year’s draft."

Almost mind boggling. Their QB situation is not good, really not good. I know they like that kid from UConn but I don't know how you pass on a QB at the top for him and his unknown potential.  The thing that makes this worse is the amount of cash they tossed at Jeff Backus in the off-season. They are either going to pay him way too much to be  aROT or they are going to draft an ROT at #2 overall which will be a Millen-esque type of mistake to make. QB is actually the sane pick for them here but the Lions haven't been very sane recently.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

catch2355

Practice Squad

« #4 : February 05, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

Good thoughts! I agree I think Detroit will take Joe Thomas.

two words: Jeff Backus

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 05, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »

They should trade down. They need a lot of help.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

« #6 : February 05, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »

I think the Lions will be dumb to take Thomas over Peterson. Any team that is not completely unable to take a RB should take Peterson. He is that special. Lions are already paying Backus and Woody a lot of money, and they drafted Jonathon Scott in the 3rd round last year out of Texas and a lot of people thought he had 1st round talent

catch2355

Practice Squad

« #7 : February 05, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »

I think the Lions will be dumb to take Thomas over Peterson. Any team that is not completely unable to take a RB should take Peterson. He is that special. Lions are already paying Backus and Woody a lot of money, and they drafted Jonathon Scott in the 3rd round last year out of Texas and a lot of people thought he had 1st round talent

they should try and trade back then bcuz peterson is definitley not worth the 2nd pick.  not because he doesnt have the talent but because he has bad injury problems and is a running back who dont have the longest careers

Larry Brackins

Starter
« #8 : February 05, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »

The Lions are going to take Thomas. It's been known gor awhile now.

The question is, will Gruden take Quinn and finally get the guy he has always been looking for?

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

catch2355

Practice Squad

« #9 : February 05, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »

The Lions are going to take Thomas. It's been known gor awhile now.

The question is, will Gruden take Quinn and finally get the guy he has always been looking for?

i really dont know if its guaranteed for the lions to take thomas....if they trade away backus you can guarantee it but there hasnt been any talk of that

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 05, 2007, 05:47:05 PM »

The Lions defense is the worst part of that team.

With Marinelli at the helm, it's not out of the question that they try to trade down for more picks to help stock his Tampa-2..

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 05, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »

i'd love to see the lions trade down, the team they trade with will almost certainly be angling for one of the QBs or maybe calvin johnson.  detroit trading down is the only way we can expect to land joe thomas.  marinelli is looking at the same defensive studs in the middle of the 1st that kiffin is, and any any draft argument that can be made for the bucs in that regard also applies to the lions

skip

Starter

« #12 : February 05, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »

I am all for trading down and loading up on defense unless Calvin Johnson is available. Have to take that guy if he is there.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 05, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »

I am all for trading down and loading up on defense unless Calvin Johnson is available. Have to take that guy if he is there.

If he's there, it's likely that trade offers will be more abundant, making it a great opportunity to squeeze the most out of the situation..

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #14 : February 05, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

i'd love to see the lions trade down, the team they trade with will almost certainly be angling for one of the QBs or maybe calvin johnson. detroit trading down is the only way we can expect to land joe thomas. marinelli is looking at the same defensive studs in the middle of the 1st that kiffin is, and any any draft argument that can be made for the bucs in that regard also applies to the lions

If someone wantes to trade up to #2, don't be shocked at all if it's Arizona targeting Thomas.  That pick makes more sense than anything else that could happen in this draft.  

As for these scenarios, I do not want to trade down.  If Joe Thomas is gone and Cleveland takes Quinn then I want Johnson.  If they take Johnson then I want Quinn.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools