Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 05, 2007, 06:19:36 PM

I am all for trading down and loading up on defense unless Calvin Johnson is available. Have to take that guy if he is there.

If he's there, it's likely that trade offers will be more abundant, making it a great opportunity to squeeze the most out of the situation..

The most out of that situation would be Calvin Johnson.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 05, 2007, 06:20:46 PM

Only if he can pass block or rush the opposing QB..

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 05, 2007, 06:22:32 PM

Amen!!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 05, 2007, 06:24:50 PM

This again?  No one player can do any of those things.  You need lots of players that can do all types of different things.  Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 05, 2007, 06:27:26 PM

This again?  No one player can do any of those things.  You need lots of players that can do all types of different things.  Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

Which addition would have given the Bears a better chance to win last night, Tommie Harris, or Roy Williams (WR)?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 05, 2007, 06:29:45 PM

This again? No one player can do any of those things. You need lots of players that can do all types of different things. Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

Which addition would have given the Bears a better chance to win last night, Tommie Harris, or Roy Williams (WR)?

Well since they already have Tommie Harris and he was hurt... probably Roy Williams.

And by all indications Calvin Johnson is going to be better than Roy Williams.  Who in this draft is expected to be anywhere near Tommie Harris?  I mean, I know who you're going to say, there's just nothing to back that up on film.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 05, 2007, 06:30:18 PM

This again?  No one player can do any of those things.  You need lots of players that can do all types of different things.  Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

You're right, no one player can do any of those things. That's why it's a great opp to trade down for multiple picks. See where I'm goin'?

So what you're advocating is ignoring those positions altogether and settling for lesser talent at our weakest areas?

???

Yes, this again.

catch2355

Practice Squad

#22 : February 05, 2007, 06:35:14 PM

i think he could be a pretty good DE lol

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 05, 2007, 06:37:35 PM

This again? No one player can do any of those things. You need lots of players that can do all types of different things. Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

Well since they already have Tommie Harris and he was hurt... probably Roy Williams.

And by all indications Calvin Johnson is going to be better than Roy Williams.  Who in this draft is expected to be anywhere near Tommie Harris?  I mean, I know who you're going to say, there's just nothing to back that up on film.

I meant if they could have either player playing in the game and healthym who would have made the biggest impact...  Theyt could have had the greatest receiver of all time playing last night and it wouldn't have put any more points on the board.  However, with a solid UT applying pressure up the middle they would have had more opportunities to force turnovers, get the Colts off the field, and rest their defense.  I think the same logic applies for the Bucs.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#24 : February 05, 2007, 06:37:43 PM

You're right, no one player can do any of those things. That's why it's a great opp to trade down for multiple picks. See where I'm goin'?

So what you're advocating is ignoring those positions altogether and settling for lesser talent at our weakest areas?

???

Yes, this again.

So why not trade down until we own the entire 6th and 7th rounds?  That way we can take all kinds of lesser players but the numbers will up our odds of success on them.

And stop twisting words.  No one is advocating totally ignoring areas of need (of which reciever is one).  We have 25 million in cap space for now, probably more.  We have 3 other first day picks so it's not like we're even hurting in the #'s department.  Why should we trade away the opportunity to draft a game breaker for the opportunity to draft an extra 2nd rounder when we already have 2?  Every team needs solid players, it's true.  But every team also needs stars.  

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 05, 2007, 06:38:55 PM

And by all indications Calvin Johnson is going to be better than Roy Williams.  Who in this draft is expected to be anywhere near Tommie Harris?  I mean, I know who you're going to say, there's just nothing to back that up on film.

I meant if they could have either player playing in the game and healthym who would have made the biggest impact...  Theyt could have had the greatest receiver of all time playing last night and it wouldn't have put any more points on the board.  However, with a solid UT applying pressure up the middle they would have had more opportunities to force turnovers, get the Colts off the field, and rest their defense.  I think the same logic applies for the Bucs.

So you're honestly saying Roy Williams (let alone Jerry Rice) wouldn't have helped them score more points?

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 05, 2007, 06:44:59 PM

This again?  No one player can do any of those things.  You need lots of players that can do all types of different things.  Why draft an inferior talent who isn't nearly as sure a thing as Johnson?

no player is a sure thing.  as HM pointed out, the bust rate on Wrs is very high. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 05, 2007, 06:47:24 PM

no player is a sure thing. as HM pointed out, the bust rate on Wrs is very high.

That's entirely true.  But so is DT, so all you can go on is "who's the better player?"  That is not a debatable point.

dm4bucs

Starter
#28 : February 05, 2007, 06:50:49 PM

Okoye looks like a nice prospect if you ignore his collegiate career, but expecting him to turn into a tommie harris just b/c he plays UT is putting too much faith into the draft hype that always occurs during this time...if you have a chance at a top 5 prospect like johnson(if thomas isn't there) than you take him and hope for a T.O without the attitude...

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 05, 2007, 06:53:56 PM

Okoye looks like a nice prospect if you ignore his collegiate career, but expecting him to turn into a tommie harris just b/c he plays UT is putting too much faith into the draft hype that always occurs during this time...if you have a chance at a top 5 prospect like johnson(if thomas isn't there) than you take him and hope for a T.O without the attitude...

This is a better way of stating what I meant when I said there's nothing on film to show Okoye is in Harris' class.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools