Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #30 : February 05, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »

That's entirely true. But so is DT, so all you can go on is "who's the better player?" That is not a debatable point.

Nobody's debating how good CJ is. The point of contention is how much he can help the Bucs win. It's true he instantly upgrades the WR corps, but we desperately need pass rush more than pass receptions. I don't want to read the argument that he'll help us outscore other teams, that's backwards thinking. Because with sub-standard pass blocking, he'll be lucky if he sees the ball more than 5 times a game, especially as a rookie learning a complex offense.

We've had the most success when we had a strong defense, and that's not going to change. If we don't upgrade the DL in a big way, this team will just tread water as the opposition controls the clock and the game...

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #31 : February 05, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

That's entirely true. But so is DT, so all you can go on is "who's the better player?" That is not a debatable point.

Nobody's debating how good CJ is. The point of contention is how much he can help the Bucs win. It's true he instantly upgrades the WR corps, but we desperately need pass rush more than pass receptions. I don't want to read the argument that he'll help us outscore other teams, that's backwards thinking. Because with sub-standard pass blocking, he'll be lucky if he sees the ball more than 5 times a game, especially as a rookie learning a complex offense.

We've had the most success when we had a strong defense, and that's not going to change. If we don't upgrade the DL in a big way, this team will just tread water as the opposition controls the clock and the game...

I guess I just think Johnson will be a LOT better WR than Okoye will be a DT.  Yes we need a pass rush, but Okoye is not so good a pass rusher as to discount how much better CJ is, no matter team needs.

I don't want to pass up 1500 yards and 15 TDs a season for what I believe will be about 5-6 sacks a season. 

If I thought for a second that Okoye's production at DT was equal or even close, I'd go with Okoye.  The fact of the matter is, there's nothing to suggest Okoye is that good.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #32 : February 05, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »

I guess I just think Johnson will be a LOT better WR than Okoye will be a DT. Yes we need a pass rush, but Okoye is not so good a pass rusher as to discount how much better CJ is, no matter team needs.

You're not the only one. The whole country thinks he's the real deal, but I've never seen a WR make a significant enough impact on any team that had such issues in the trenches. If we can't control the LOS on either side, Christ himself would be hard pressed to improve the Bucs win total without some heavenly assistance..

I'll admit this, if FA provides us with suitable answers along the lines, I'll be screaming CJ's name as loud as anyone if he's there when our pick comes up..

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #33 : February 05, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »

I don't want to pass up 1500 yards and 15 TDs a season for what I believe will be about 5-6 sacks a season. 

Those are awfully big expectations for someone who's never faced an NFL defense and is playing on a team with pass-blocking issues..

bucs1

Practice Squad
« #34 : February 05, 2007, 07:45:52 PM »

I will guarantee you that the Lions take Joe Thomas with their second overall pick because they said they aren't taking a QB and they definitely won't be drafting another WR, especially now that they just signed Mike Furrey to a 3-year deal.

watson

Hall of Famer
« #35 : February 05, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »

"Coordinator Mike Martz let the proverbial cat out of the bag late last week when he was quoted as saying a quarterback did not figure in the Lions’ plans for their first-round pick at the 2007 draft. Detroit has the second pick overall at this year’s draft where they would presumably get a look at at least one of QBs Jamarcus Russell of LSU or Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, the two top-rated players at this year’s draft."

Almost mind boggling. Their QB situation is not good, really not good. I know they like that kid from UConn but I don't know how you pass on a QB at the top for him and his unknown potential. The thing that makes this worse is the amount of cash they tossed at Jeff Backus in the off-season. They are either going to pay him way too much to be aROT or they are going to draft an ROT at #2 overall which will be a Millen-esque type of mistake to make. QB is actually the sane pick for them here but the Lions haven't been very sane recently.
Dal,
I think it goes back to Martz.  If you look at his history with QBs when he was with the Rams, he used lower round draft choices that he coached up to his system.  I don't remember them ever taking a QB early in the draft.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

« #36 : February 05, 2007, 07:49:29 PM »

"Coordinator Mike Martz let the proverbial cat out of the bag late last week when he was quoted as saying a quarterback did not figure in the Lions’ plans for their first-round pick at the 2007 draft.

Why would you guys actually believe anything that a coach is saying before the draft?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #37 : February 05, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »

Those are awfully big expectations for someone who's never faced an NFL defense and is playing on a team with pass-blocking issues..

Yes they are. 

TBYFLBuc

Second String

« #38 : February 05, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »

"Coordinator Mike Martz let the proverbial cat out of the bag late last week when he was quoted as saying a quarterback did not figure in the Lions’ plans for their first-round pick at the 2007 draft.

Why would you guys actually believe anything that a coach is saying before the draft?

AGREE with you on this one. Can you say smokescreen. Who the hell is going to play QB for them in the future??KITNA?? With Millen calling the shots look for another **CENSORED**ty first round slection.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #39 : February 05, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »

The fact that Martz said that and that the team has taken Thomas out to dinner very publicly would lead me to believe they are trying to simulate a trade for the rights to draft Thomas.  Quite possibly with us or Arizona.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #40 : February 05, 2007, 08:50:37 PM »

Which leads to the question: If Johnson goes #1 and knowing the Lions will take Thomas, would you trade them our Indy 2nd to move up and grab him?  They probably have us as a target knowing we have two 2nds.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

« #41 : February 05, 2007, 08:54:41 PM »

RedAlert... Look at the Colts. Explosive offense that can score at any time. And an average defense that helps every now and then. Currently we are the lesser form of the Bears. I'd rather start following the Colts direction...

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

« #42 : February 05, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »

RedAlert... Look at the Colts. Explosive offense that can score at any time. And an average defense that helps every now and then. Currently we are the lesser form of the Bears. I'd rather start following the Colts direction...

So would I, but we're fresh out of Mannings to draft.

If you want to be the Colts, the progression goes: Franchise QB #1, Dominant Line #2, All Pro Wideouts #3. Wayne and Harrison are great, but they're all going nowhere fast if they had to play on a team with Chris Simms + TB's O-Line.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

« #43 : February 05, 2007, 09:35:45 PM »

So would I, but we're fresh out of Mannings to draft.

If you want to be the Colts, the progression goes: Franchise QB #1, Dominant Line #2, All Pro Wideouts #3. Wayne and Harrison are great, but they're all going nowhere fast if they had to play on a team with Chris Simms + TB's O-Line.

Actually Indy had this fashion... Oline, Wr, QB, WR, More Oline... Aquiring CJ and Tony Ugoh OR Joe Thomas and a borderline 1st like Bowe, Meachem, etc... Will make me and a lot of other offensive guys shut up...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #44 : February 05, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »

If the Lions are taking Thomas then what in the world are they going to do with Backus - who they first franchised and signed to a huge contract - way to much for a ROT - and using the #2 pick to make Thomas a ROT - the posturing and leg pulling is in full swing - on the other hand this is the franchise that picked a wr at the top of the draft three years in a row.  I suspect they are taking Johnson.  LOL.  IT will be interesting.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions not going QB... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools