Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 02/06 GBN 2 Round mock draft « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #60 : February 07, 2007, 03:36:49 PM »

dalbuc,  there are a few folks that seem to believe we don't need a top tier QB, and I'd agree that is "mind-blowing," but I think the majority of the opposition to a QB on these boards is because a) Russell is likely a Raider and therefore not an option; b) people have huge questions about Quinn.

I think if Russell fell to the Bucs a lot of people here might have fewer problems with taking a QB first round. But when it's more likely a choice of Quinn v. Joe Thomas (who plays maybe the second most important position on the field) or Calvin Johnson, who might be the best pure football player in the draft and certaintly the best WR prospect since Moss, then I think it's more complicated than "don't pass on a franchise QB."

« #61 : February 07, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »

I'd be okay with Quinn....

« #62 : February 07, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »

Buster Davis can play all 3 LB positions in the Bucs defense.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #63 : February 07, 2007, 03:40:30 PM »

Buster Davis can play all 3 LB positions in the Bucs defense.

Our LB's need to be able to drop back and cover. That's what Buster can't do well.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #64 : February 07, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

dalbuc, there are a few folks that seem to believe we don't need a top tier QB, and I'd agree that is "mind-blowing," but I think the majority of the opposition to a QB on these boards is because a) Russell is likely a Raider and therefore not an option; b) people have huge questions about Quinn.
Unfortunately there are questions about every quarterback every time. Peyton couldn't beat Florida, Palmer only had one good year, Brees was small, McNabb played in an option-y offense, Leinart doesn't have a big arm...

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #65 : February 07, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »

I think if Russell fell to the Bucs a lot of people here might have fewer problems with taking a QB first round. But when it's more likely a choice of Quinn v. Joe Thomas (who plays maybe the second most important position on the field) or Calvin Johnson, who might be the best pure football player in the draft and certaintly the best WR prospect since Moss, then I think it's more complicated than "don't pass on a franchise QB."

Calvin, Thomas and Russell were gone in this mock. I certainly like Thomas over Quinn but in this scenario while I think I might go Adams, Quinn is a very good selection given our issues.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

« #66 : February 07, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »

Buster's coverage abilities are being blown out of proportion. People do realize he played for FSU right? The guy can hold his own in coverage, just dont expect him to make an acrobatic INT and return it for a TD. That's ok though, ask any coach at any level in any system and they will tell you they want their LBs to excell in the running game moreso than the pass. YOu will be surprised when you see just how fast Buster Davis is coming downhill and running sideline to sideline. He is very explosive, with speed and agility that FSU LBs all have.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #67 : February 07, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »

Buster's coverage abilities are being blown out of proportion. People do realize he played for FSU right? The guy can hold his own in coverage, just dont expect him to make an acrobatic INT and return it for a TD. That's ok though, ask any coach at any level in any system and they will tell you they want their LBs to excell in the running game moreso than the pass. YOu will be surprised when you see just how fast Buster Davis is coming downhill and running sideline to sideline. He is very explosive, with speed and agility that FSU LBs all have.
That settles it. He played for FSU. Turn in the card now, Bruce.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

marlevr

Second String
« #68 : February 07, 2007, 03:59:26 PM »

The thing about picking a QB in R1 depends of what you want: win now or win later?

If you want to go back to the playoffs next year, picking a R1 QB might not be the best option.

If you're building for the future (and who isn't) then a franchise type QB should be the pick.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

« #69 : February 07, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »

Of course there are questions about all of those guys - the draft is an uncertain process.  Sometimes those questions are simply the nit-picking that always happens after the seasons' over (to me, Leinhart was the biggest case of this)

But sometimes, the questions point to real risk (e.g. Vincenzo's Penn State debacle - seemed like an anomoly at the time). For me, and from the looks of it many others on the board, there are too many questions about Quinn to make me feel good about taking him at 3, especially with some elite prospects on the board.

Calvin, Thomas and Russell were gone in this mock. I certainly like Thomas over Quinn but in this scenario while I think I might go Adams, Quinn is a very good selection given our issues.

My bad, I had forgotten what this thread started with - I would agree he makes more sense at that point, despite still not being sold on him.

Shag

Pro Bowler

« #70 : February 07, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »

The Senior Bowl coverage I read all said he had great instincts but is no good in coverage. Maybe they weren't FSU fans.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #71 : February 07, 2007, 05:18:54 PM »

The thing about picking a QB in R1 depends of what you want: win now or win later?

If you want to go back to the playoffs next year, picking a R1 QB might not be the best option.

If you're building for the future (and who isn't) then a franchise type QB should be the pick.

We were one of the 4 worst teams in the NFL last year.  There were a lot of reasons for that but QB play was the biggest.  I don't see Super Bowl contention next year as a realistic goal.  Might as well admit rebuilding is necessary and take a step backwards to take a step forward. 

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 02/06 GBN 2 Round mock draft « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools