Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Manning example increase QB stocks in drafts. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 07, 2007, 01:40:25 PM

The year you are referring to his arm was injured.  He spent a year in Minnie getting well prior to taking over there.  Wasn't the offense, it was his arm.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 07, 2007, 01:52:45 PM

I dont think its was so much that Brad mastered the offense in one year. As I recall the offense really struggled the first half of the season learning the new offense. We were lucky enough to have an outstanding D to carry the load. It wasnt til late in the season that the office finally clicked and put it all together. The games Brad was out though, Rob and King were horrible. We came out of that 2-1 including a huge win in Chicago. In 2004, Brad started off 0-4 before being benched. I would think that if he truely mastered the offense that by then, the offense should have been peaking.

I didn't say he mastered it in one year - but he had arguably his best season as a pro (22 tds, only 6 ints - some people would say '99 with the Skins, but he threw 7 more picks and only 2 more tds. More yards in '99 though). My point is that this perception that somehow Gruden needs to overhaul the offense because teams can't wait five years for the QB to "get it" is utterly false. Johnson, Griese, and Gannon all got it to some extent pretty quickly.

I think Brad's problem is that he simply ran out of gas (and the team around him wasn't great either). I suspect Brad mentally mastered the system - the problem is that unlike Gannon, his physical skills, already pretty limited by 2002, are simply gone.

As for Rob Johnson and Shaun King, well - they just stunk.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does Manning example increase QB stocks in drafts. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools