Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Getting married but not changing her last name - thoughts? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#30 : July 29, 2009, 11:50:44 AM

I know of a couple who got married last year but his bride decided to keep her original name which I think is stupid; so what does anyone else think about a woman wanting to do that?

I could personally care less.  It's a stupid tradition, really, put forth by a male dominated culture.  My wife took my last name because she comes from a culture that is male dominated, but if he hadn't it wouldn't have bothered me a bit.  The only waters to negotiate in an instance like this would be what the children's last name would be...

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#31 : July 29, 2009, 11:56:14 AM

Did she keep her own name for professional reasons? Maybe it was to have separate bank accounts in case things don't work out?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : July 29, 2009, 12:13:24 PM

I could personally care less.  It's a stupid tradition, really, put forth by a male dominated culture.  My wife took my last name because she comes from a culture that is male dominated, but if he hadn't it wouldn't have bothered me a bit.  The only waters to negotiate in an instance like this would be what the children's last name would be...

It's amazing how so many people buy into the name thing just because it's always been like that. Brainwashed by tradition and
a patriarchal society.

I don't think my wife and I even had any in depth discussions about this. It was/is so unimportant.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : July 29, 2009, 12:16:18 PM

She is only 9, but she is very perceptive. Very respectful. A thinker, I think. And I hope she decides to keep her last name, because that is all I ask of her. That and to get good grades. And to forget about boys until AFTER college. And to drive safe...and...

to stay off the pole

That's your only job as a father of a girl, keep her off the pole.
Chris Rock rules.

And I agree one hundo...ha ha ha!!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#34 : July 29, 2009, 12:25:07 PM

Chris Rock rules.

that bit was freak'n hilarious

bucsense

Practice Squad

#35 : July 29, 2009, 12:46:25 PM

So, up next..........approval of same sex marriage?..........Yeah, I know it's the latest trend..........Hmmm....do those dysfunctional couples keep their names or adopt another.........Who the hell can tell who the male is in these relationships?

I suspect Mojo knows..........LOL......

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#36 : July 29, 2009, 02:20:41 PM

So, up next..........approval of same sex marriage?..........Yeah, I know it's the latest trend..........Hmmm....do those dysfunctional couples keep their names or adopt another.........Who the hell can tell who the male is in these relationships?

I suspect Mojo knows..........LOL......

I'll defer to  your expertise on homosexual relationships, but thanks for thinking I'm that informed. 

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#37 : July 29, 2009, 02:52:49 PM

Big freaking deal...? So what she keeps her last name? When my mom married my step-dad 10 years ago I had to push her to change from the last name of my "dad". I would actually prefer my next wife to keep her last name and give any children we might have her last name. My last name is an albatross and it will die with me.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : July 29, 2009, 05:27:49 PM

on a minor note, when separate name couples get a card in the mail, how is it addressed?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#39 : July 29, 2009, 05:44:32 PM

A woman who has built up a professional name in her own right, might find it difficult to change her name which might cause confusion in her professional circles.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : July 29, 2009, 05:56:09 PM

on a minor note, when separate name couples get a card in the mail, how is it addressed?

My parents address it to Mr. and Mrs. (My last name). I remember the first time I told my mom that my wife didn't take my name. She was confused. Other than that, I think family members address things to me.

My wife hadn't built up any professional name so changing it wouldn't have caused a problem. We just don't care about stuff like that. Neither of us wear wedding rings, either. My first wife wanted me to wear a ring so I had one made that I was proud of.

I have to laugh at some of the guys who say it's a deal breaker if their girl won't take their name. Imagine finding a great girl who you get along with great, have tons in common with and who you're attracted to? You decide to get married but she wants to keep her name. You break up with her? LOL.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : July 29, 2009, 06:05:49 PM

My parents address it to Mr. and Mrs. (My last name). I remember the first time I told my mom that my wife didn't take my name. She was confused. Other than that, I think family members address things to me.

My Grandparents do the same thing, likely out of habit of doing it for all other married couples. No one else really writes to us so that is sort of a non-issue. I'm amazed people feel this strongly about this "issue".

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#42 : July 29, 2009, 06:37:24 PM

I'm amazed people feel this strongly about this "issue".

Dalbuc and I agree on something and we haven't insulted each other in two weeks. Mark it down!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#43 : July 29, 2009, 06:55:58 PM

Damn, there is a bunch of insecurity in this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Booker

Hall of Famer

#44 : July 29, 2009, 06:57:56 PM

yeah i don't understand how her not taking your name is a deal breaker? Is it because you can't show ownership?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Getting married but not changing her last name - thoughts? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools