Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone smell smoke? « previous next »
Page: 1

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

: October 25, 2007, 03:11:16 PM

Actually I do smell smoke. You can see it hear in the Las Vegas valley. The winds have changed and they say by tonight it should be pretty bad and were over 300 miles away.

Yea, you're going to get quite a whiff if the onshore flow picks up it's usual pace. Poor folks in Baker are right in the middle of the smoke's path, and it's likely to settle there for awhile...

Sin City Buc

Second String

#1 : October 25, 2007, 02:58:56 PM

Actually I do smell smoke. You can see it hear in the Las Vegas valley. The winds have changed and they say by tonight it should be pretty bad and were over 300 miles away.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 24, 2007, 02:01:19 AM

global warming?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 23, 2007, 08:31:01 PM

What actually makes it worse is increased rainfall in the past few years... When there is more rain, there is more growth. And then when the dry condition eventually return, that growth dies and dries out. And that just fuels the fires.

Its a catch 22. If you dont have enough rain you have drought. If you have too much rain, the fire risk increases. Pick your poison.

Not to mention, now that the brush is burned off, with no vegetation to hold the dirt on the hillsides, the next round of heavy rains will bring mudslides. Causing even more devastation to houses spared by the fire but in the path of the slides. Happens every time we have fires like this..

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 23, 2007, 07:51:58 PM

There are probably been worse fires in the past. But not when so many people were living here.

There is slight ash here in Manhattan Beach and some haze. But luckily, not more than that.

My two cousins in the San Diego area have evacuated their homes. One of them thinks his
house is gone. Sucks.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 23, 2007, 08:18:34 PM

What actually makes it worse is increased rainfall in the past few years... When there is more rain, there is more growth. And then when the dry condition eventually return, that growth dies and dries out. And that just fuels the fires.

Its a catch 22. If you dont have enough rain you have drought. If you have too much rain, the fire risk increases. Pick your poison.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 23, 2007, 07:14:15 PM

A lot of the local TV stations are showing entire neighborhoods that have been wiped out, it's unreal. I've seen lots of wildfires in California, but nothing like this. New fires are still flaring up..

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 23, 2007, 08:05:32 PM

There are probably been worse fires in the past. But not when so many people were living here.

There is slight ash here in Manhattan Beach and some haze. But luckily, not more than that.

My two cousins in the San Diego area have evacuated their homes. One of them thinks his
house is gone. Sucks.

I haven't seen this many fires at once in the too many years I've been here, but it is newer housing that's getting razed.

Sad as it is, if you grew up around here, especially towards San Diego, you'll probably wind up knowing someone who's lost their house after this is all over. I know people who've evacuated Modjeska Canyon already and that fire's growing. 6 houses there today..

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 23, 2007, 06:25:02 PM

Just hope the San Andreas fault doesn't hiccup anytime soon..

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 23, 2007, 07:01:32 PM

One firefighter was saying the flames go over 200 feet in the air in some places....says it looks like the end of the world.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 23, 2007, 06:44:39 PM

After the smoky days we had here in Tampa earlier this year that sucks for them.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone smell smoke? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools