Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: High School Coach Peddlin Jesus « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #15 : September 29, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »

Seeing as details behind this are very thin on the ground, I would say it was a bit early to get all knotted about it.

If the guy abused his position he should be disciplined, if not ....

The one thing that stood out to me is that 40 kids went and yet only one parent was totally in the dark about it? Doesn't sound right, especially as she is the only one complaining. With regards to the public money thing, he paid for the gas himself and got a volunteer to drive the bus. Where was the public money spent? The public money thing, based on that article is total codswallop to coin a phrase. It would be better to find out more about the background of the trip before jumping to conclusions.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

« #16 : September 29, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »

The parent is an obvious whiner. This thing was voluntary, and thats the bottom line.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

« #17 : September 29, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »

At least one parent has already complained.

and, at most one parent has already complained.  and really, complained about what? 

And the article noted that she seemed like the only parent that wasn't aware. Stupid ho doesn't pay attention and then gets her panties in a wad when she realizes her son has a different view on faith than herself.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

« #18 : September 29, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »

Where was the public money spent?

Wear and tear on the bus?  What's funny is if this had been the girls volleyball coach "borrowing" a PUBLIC school bus to take those on her team that wanted to go to a Planned Parenthood meeting the ones here seeing no problem with this would be whining like little girls .... Hypocrites.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

« #19 : October 01, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »

I toss it all in the can after hearing we just went "poof" and the universe appeared. Seriously, if you can believe this, you can believe in anything, including God.

Then you obviously weren't intelligent enough to understand Big Bang theory.  Either that, or you didn't really attempt to learn about it so you're being dishonest, your choice.  The former fits the research that indicates people who are religious have, on average lower IQ's.  The latter proves the lenghts people will go to in order to perpuate a lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #20 : October 01, 2009, 10:14:15 AM »

BUT I still can't understand how most seem okay with the fact that they used a public school bus for something totally not related to school

Because that happens quite often.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

« #21 : October 01, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »

BUT I still can't understand how most seem okay with the fact that they used a public school bus for something totally not related to school

Because that happens quite often.

Seriously? .... TOTALLY not related to school? ... Of course, what constitutes "related to school" could be a subject for debate also.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #22 : October 01, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »

I toss it all in the can after hearing we just went "poof" and the universe appeared.  Seriously, if you can believe this, you can believe in anything, including God.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

« #23 : October 01, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »

Tell me what you truly believe in other than yourself?

Science. I believe what has been proven/verified to the maximum degree possible. Everything else is theory, opinion or fantasy.

Here's the major difference between me you. For me, even the most likeable theories (ie--Superstring Theory) are just theories. I recognize that they may in fact not be true, and am open to any data on the subject, be it supporting or contradictory. You on the other hand will blindly believe in your religion no matter what.

So, you having faith in science, when the overwhelming majority of it is purely hypothetical, is less faith based than what I believe? Men with education and passion over what they think is truth are just as dangerous as any religious fanatic out there.
I do not blindly believe in God; I've encountered him. I KNOW he is real; more real than anything that exists in the universe. The cool thing about this is I don't have to prove anything! Mojo, you can know too, but it takes surrendering everything you've ever heard or learned about God to meet him.

I believe in the scientific method.  Proof before subscription.  And, just to clear up your ignorance, most science ISN'T unproven theory.  A man with and eduction will always be scoffed at by the rubes who subscribe to such nonsense as Christianity.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #24 : September 30, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »

Wear and tear on the bus?  What's funny is if this had been the girls volleyball coach "borrowing" a PUBLIC school bus to take those on her team that wanted to go to a Planned Parenthood meeting the ones here seeing no problem with this would be whining like little girls .... Hypocrites.

completely wrong.  im all for kids today being more responsible. 

great of you to try to call out posters on a what if scenario of ZERO merit.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

« #25 : September 30, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »

So, the original question I posted is this:

How would you feel if your kid's head coach took the team on a trip to a Mosque and converted half the team to Islam, including your son?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #26 : September 30, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »

would not bother me in the least if it were on his time.  By the way, if people were doing their jobs at raising their children properly, folks wouldn't have to be taking them to church, teaching them manners, etc.

But I guess you don't see that as a problem either?  Just stick them in front of a television or computer, tell them they have the same rights as adults, teach them nothing of respect or authority, and then turn them loose on society....

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

« #27 : September 30, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »

So, the original question I posted is this:

How would you feel if your kid's head coach took the team on a trip to a Mosque and converted half the team to Islam, including your son?

One. Actually the better term would be "reverting" to Islam because in their faith Muslims believe all people are born with a natural faith, so they are actually returning back to their natural faith.

Second, you don't need a coach or any other witness to revert to the faith, this is all done internally and then you need to shower to cleanse yourself and seal the deal.

C. If they were giving out a new toaster or something, like opening a new checking account, I would be all for it. My toaster sucks. By the time my kids were of high school age they had our blessings to make up their own mind about something as personal as their faith, unless there was cause for concern about their physical well being (ie. cult following).

I would have a much bigger problem if the coach took one of my kids to get a tattoo, something that has a much more permanent consequence. I would put the Planned Parenthood scenario more into this category then the baptism would be, if the reason for the visit to PP was to counsel on an abortion without my knowledge. This would have more of a permanent consequence then simply being baptisted. A baptism can be changed at any time, an abortion cannot.  

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

« #28 : September 30, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

would not bother me in the least if it were on his time. By the way, if people were doing their jobs at raising their children properly, folks wouldn't have to be taking them to church, teaching them manners, etc.

But I guess you don't see that as a problem either? Just stick them in front of a television or computer, tell them they have the same rights as adults, teach them nothing of respect or authority, and then turn them loose on society....

To essentially say that people who don't send their kids to church "Just stick them in front of a television or computer, tell them they have the same rights as adults, teach them nothing of respect or authority, and then turn them loose on society"  is ignorant.  Further evidence of why non-christians have become so intolerant of christians.

Church is what, 2 hours on a Sunday?  That means there are plenty of Christian kids parked in front of TV's/computers the remainder of the time (as evidenced by the nationwide numbers of hours children record watching TV).  Furthermore, it's easy to make the argument that religion is just pacification by lazy parents that don't want to teach kids values for the sake of values (or, more scientifically, values based on empathy and the positive effects on society as a whole) perferring instead to fill their heads with stories of salvation/damnation.  Akin to telling them that Santa is watching, stories of Jesus serve less as philosophical contemplations and more as artificial behavior control in today's society.  

And, just to discredit your argument:  I have one kid that goes to a christian church (her choice) and one who's a skeptic like myself.  Both get allocated TV and computer time based on performance of home and school duties/behavior, etc.  Both are very well behaved kids.  As an agnostic parent, I do my job, and IMHO, more so than the vast majority of "christians" I meet...

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #29 : September 30, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »

Mojo, for argument sake, and I say that for you, Church is not a 2-hour event, it's the body of believers with Christ as the head, made up of all different races, denomination, and gender.  Church is not a building where you are taught how and what to do. 
Whether you believe it or not, folks like yourself make up a very small percentage of the population.  The majority are as I described above.  Tell me what you truly believe in other than yourself?
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: High School Coach Peddlin Jesus « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools