Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: High School Coach Peddlin Jesus « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 30, 2009, 01:59:56 PM

Tell me what you truly believe in other than yourself?

Science.  I believe what has been proven/verified to the maximum degree possible.  Everything else is theory, opinion or fantasy.

Here's the major difference between me you.  For me, even the most likeable theories (ie--Superstring Theory) are just theories.  I recognize that they may in fact not be true, and am open to any data on the subject, be it supporting or contradictory.  You on the other hand will blindly believe in your religion no matter what. 

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 30, 2009, 02:11:40 PM

Science.  I believe what has been proven/verified to the maximum degree possible.  Everything else is theory, opinion or fantasy.

Here's the major difference between me you. For me, even the most likeable theories (ie--Superstring Theory) are just theories. I recognize that they may in fact not be true, and am open to any data on the subject, be it supporting or contradictory. You on the other hand will blindly believe in your religion no matter what.

Why do you put such limits on life?

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

#32 : September 30, 2009, 05:03:33 PM

It was completely voluntary and didnt cost the school anything, I see nothing wrong with it

If the coach was hammering religion at them, and continually asking them to get saved and baptized, then I would say its wrong. I dont think the coach should be preaching to the kids on a regular basis if thats the case

spartan

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 30, 2009, 05:09:51 PM

So, the original question I posted is this:

How would you feel if your kid's head coach took the team on a trip to a Mosque and converted half the team to Islam, including your son?

To refer back to my original post, it appears that only one set of parents were blissfully unaware of the purpose of the trip. That indicates the other parents knew and consented. If they had gone without my consent I would have been mad as hell.

#34 : September 30, 2009, 05:14:07 PM

How would you feel if your kid's head coach took the team on a trip to a Mosque and converted half the team to Islam, including your son?

If the coach didnt preach to the kids on a regular basis, and the trip was completely voluntary and of no cost to the school, I would have NO problem with it at all.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 30, 2009, 06:49:56 PM

So, the original question I posted is this:

if my kid was offered the chance to learn more about islam i dont think i would mind.   same with scientology, same with buddhism.  knowledge is very underrated.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Booker

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 30, 2009, 06:54:33 PM

LOL did I read that if you aren't religious then you don't have manners and watch TV all the time? LMAO

#37 : October 01, 2009, 06:38:17 AM

Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 30, 2009, 09:28:29 PM

Wear and tear on the bus?  What's funny is if this had been the girls volleyball coach "borrowing" a PUBLIC school bus to take those on her team that wanted to go to a Planned Parenthood meeting the ones here seeing no problem with this would be whining like little girls .... Hypocrites.

completely wrong.  im all for kids today being more responsible. 

great of you to try to call out posters on a what if scenario of ZERO merit.

Come on, now, it's not ZERO merit ..... but I am somewhat embarrassed by throwing out a "what if" scenario, though .... BUT I still can't understand how most seem okay with the fact that they used a public school bus for something totally not related to school

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 30, 2009, 10:13:13 PM

Here's the major difference between me you. For me, even the most likeable theories (ie--Superstring Theory) are just theories. I recognize that they may in fact not be true, and am open to any data on the subject, be it supporting or contradictory. You on the other hand will blindly believe in your religion no matter what.

So, you having faith in science, when the overwhelming majority of it is purely hypothetical, is less faith based than what I believe?  Men with education and passion over what they think is truth are just as dangerous as any religious fanatic out there.
I do not blindly believe in God; I've encountered him.  I KNOW he is real; more real than anything that exists in the universe.  The cool thing about this is I don't have to prove anything!  Mojo, you can know too, but it takes surrendering everything you've ever heard or learned about God to meet him. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#40 : October 01, 2009, 12:24:54 PM

I toss it all in the can after hearing we just went "poof" and the universe appeared. Seriously, if you can believe this, you can believe in anything, including God.

Then you obviously weren't intelligent enough to understand Big Bang theory.  Either that, or you didn't really attempt to learn about it so you're being dishonest, your choice.  The former fits the research that indicates people who are religious have, on average lower IQ's.  The latter proves the lenghts people will go to in order to perpuate a lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

How about there are a lot less atheists than those that believe in a God, therefore you are going to get a broader spectrum of subjects, and intellectuals have a nasty habit of being pompous **CENSORED**s who think they are the next best thing since God?

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 01, 2009, 01:02:07 PM

I toss it all in the can after hearing we just went "poof" and the universe appeared. Seriously, if you can believe this, you can believe in anything, including God.

Then you obviously weren't intelligent enough to understand Big Bang theory. Either that, or you didn't really attempt to learn about it so you're being dishonest, your choice. The former fits the research that indicates people who are religious have, on average lower IQ's. The latter proves the lenghts people will go to in order to perpuate a lie.

How about there are a lot less atheists than those that believe in a God, therefore you are going to get a broader spectrum of subjects, and intellectuals have a nasty habit of being pompous **CENSORED**s who think they are the next best thing since God?

That doesn't dispel the correlation between IQ and religion.  There are fewer Athesists, yes.  But there are also fewer people with IQ's over 100 (average), so there you go.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#42 : October 01, 2009, 01:11:06 PM

Then you obviously weren't intelligent enough to understand Big Bang theory. Either that, or you didn't really attempt to learn about it so you're being dishonest, your choice. The former fits the research that indicates people who are religious have, on average lower IQ's. The latter proves the lenghts people will go to in order to perpuate a lie.

Actually Spartan they compare themselves to God since they believe they exist without the aid of a Supreme Being.  The bible clearly tells us of these people.  How arrogant to think we just "somehow" happened.  A scientist will never acknowledge God for they cannot control him.  Everything has a beginning and end.  God declares is the Alpha & Omega, the beggining and the end.  A tree starts with a seed and ends as paper.  A body starts at conception, and ends at physical death.  But the spirit that inhabits the body was created by God, for God.  The spirit is at odds with the flesh, and always will be, since the spirit is created clean within a sinful body.  The first thing a person has to do in order to know God is to realize this body is but a vessel, and it will not last forever, no matter how much man attempts to do so.  The spirit however will last forever, and must acknowledge the creator.  Without doing so, the spirit will endure eternity separated from God.
Now Mojo, I'm not Carl Sagan, but I know he is dead.  However, his spirit continues on after his flesh returns to the earth.  It is his spirit that denied Christ, for he gave into his flesh through life.  Brother, you don't have to believe me, since both of us will come to terms with this reality in the future.  The point is, if I'm wrong, then you just die and that's it; finished.  However, if I'm right, then what?  Now I know why Vegas is tempting....

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#43 : October 01, 2009, 01:11:43 PM

Mojo, I'm guessing you have an IQ over 100?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 01, 2009, 01:32:31 PM

As a gauge, I don't put much stock into IQ tests. Yes they are great for showing how brilliant Albert Einstein was etc, fbut or the rest of us? I took a test a few years back and scored 143 I think. That put me in the genius level. The problem was some of the puzzles came naturally but there were a couple of the "easy" ones that I just did not know where to start. What this shows to me is that people are wired in different ways. A good example is my Mums next door neighbor. He left school at 16, isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the box but can tear almost any kind of car apart just by looking at it. I wouldn't know where to start. Who is the smartest?

When I was young, one of my biggest criticisms was that I was smart but lacked common sense. Therefore the decisions I made were dumb ones. Academics (for example) have a tendency to have extremely high IQ's, they also don't know their arse from their elbow. Please forgive me if I don't subscribe to the "high IQ" people tend to not believe in God thing.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: High School Coach Peddlin Jesus « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools