Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers Are Unlikely To Sign Dewayne White « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#45 : February 19, 2007, 02:26:01 PM

Well stated ADW. It's not like they're short of cash this year. Bucs must have someone else on their radar that they think they can sign is all I can figure.

I don't think that's the case. They have the money but aren't going to overpay for any player, as Bruce said they're not going to spend money just to spend money. If White wants to test the market let him, you can't go throwing massive loot to a player you feel isn't worth said loot.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#46 : February 19, 2007, 02:33:23 PM

Well stated ADW. It's not like they're short of cash this year. Bucs must have someone else on their radar that they think they can sign is all I can figure.

I don't think that's the case. They have the money but aren't going to overpay for any player, as Bruce said they're not going to spend money just to spend money. If White wants to test the market let him, you can't go throwing massive loot to a player you feel isn't worth said loot.

But to find a replacement for White/Spires to play LDE in free agency you will have to overpay.  And that still does not solve the issues at RDE nor UT.

#47 : February 19, 2007, 02:37:35 PM

But to find a replacement for White/Spires to play LDE in free agency you will have to overpay. And that still does not solve the issues at RDE nor UT.

I am sure the Buccs have been in contact with his agent, and are willing to offer him a contract that matches their assessment of him.  Unfortunately it appears the Buccs think he is a rotational player with potential, and White thinks he is starter caliber.  So right now they are a long way apart, probably $2 to $3 million a year apart.

#48 : February 19, 2007, 02:37:54 PM

But to find a replacement for White/Spires to play LDE in free agency you will have to overpay.  And that still does not solve the issues at RDE nor UT.

That's it in a nutshell.

#49 : February 19, 2007, 02:41:55 PM

But to find a replacement for White/Spires to play LDE in free agency you will have to overpay. And that still does not solve the issues at RDE nor UT.
That's it in a nutshell.

So what are you two suggesting?  The Buccs make him a low ball offer and hope he signs it because he likes Tampa and feels some sort of loyalty to the Buccs.  ???  Get real, Dewayne wants top dollar, he knows it is thin pickings in FA and there is a boat load of money out there.  Only way to keep him is offer a $20-$30 million 5-year deal, and that isn't going to happen.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#50 : February 19, 2007, 02:44:04 PM

As an organization you can't sign someone like White to that size of a cotnract when his true worth is something much smaller than that, plain and simple. I understand the team will be thin because of it but that small window of thiness is much easier to deal with than an enormous contract.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#51 : February 19, 2007, 02:50:24 PM

White is the answer as the starting LDE and it makes no sense to let him go.  It is enough that RDE (Rice one year left on his contract), UT (Wyms future is unknown) are holes why make LDE another hole?  Spires is not the answer at LDE and I will be thouroughly dissapointed if he is starting in 2007 at LDE.  And who knows IF Spires is even on the roster for 2007?

White has never been that answer, he's a guy that has crazy amounts of love but he's got no production to back it up. No one has played him over Spires, not when Spires was hurt and he didn't win the job over him this year. Even the camp reports didn't say he was > Spires. He's a guy who gives you X good plays per game and X = total number of plays - Y. Y is a pretty good sized number because Greg Spires is nothing special. We keep overpaying that LDE in our scheme when that guy has always been  aparasite feeding off of (Ahanotu - Sapp, Spires - Rice) a much, much better player. White is the same guy, he's a leech that if you have "the man" he plays off of him but unlike ahanotu and Spires he doesn't do it every down. He has a vlaue just like Tyoka Jackson had a value but the key is to not be fooled into thinking he's something he's not.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#52 : February 19, 2007, 03:16:36 PM

That's it in a nutshell.

So what are you two suggesting?  The Buccs make him a low ball offer and hope he signs it because he likes Tampa and feels some sort of loyalty to the Buccs.  ???  Get real, Dewayne wants top dollar, he knows it is thin pickings in FA and there is a boat load of money out there.  Only way to keep him is offer a $20-$30 million 5-year deal, and that isn't going to happen.

5 @ $ 20 mil may turn out to be a bargain this year if it can be structured right. We really don't know exactly what the market will be.  I know I'm trying to get all these old figures out of my head and realize that it's a different ballgame from here on out. On top of that, you have to face the fact that this is not a good year to fill holes via FA.

(edit) would I rather have Grant ? Sure, but is there a guarantee he's even going to be an option ?

#53 : February 19, 2007, 08:15:25 PM

Do you think that White is worth say, half of that ? Is he half the player that Grant is ?

Doesn't matter what we think, White and his agent think he will get a big payday in FA.

And the market seems to indicate they will. Supply and demand...............what a concept.  :)

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#54 : February 19, 2007, 08:26:07 PM

White is the answer as the starting LDE and it makes no sense to let him go. It is enough that RDE (Rice one year left on his contract), UT (Wyms future is unknown) are holes why make LDE another hole? Spires is not the answer at LDE and I will be thouroughly dissapointed if he is starting in 2007 at LDE. And who knows IF Spires is even on the roster for 2007?

White has never been that answer, he's a guy that has crazy amounts of love but he's got no production to back it up. No one has played him over Spires, not when Spires was hurt and he didn't win the job over him this year. Even the camp reports didn't say he was > Spires. He's a guy who gives you X good plays per game and X = total number of plays - Y. Y is a pretty good sized number because Greg Spires is nothing special. We keep overpaying that LDE in our scheme when that guy has always been aparasite feeding off of (Ahanotu - Sapp, Spires - Rice) a much, much better player. White is the same guy, he's a leech that if you have "the man" he plays off of him but unlike ahanotu and Spires he doesn't do it every down. He has a vlaue just like Tyoka Jackson had a value but the key is to not be fooled into thinking he's something he's not.

White's production the past two years backs up what I have been saying.  Statistically his stats are just as good if not superior than Spires's stats in this two year span.  And yet White did this in limited playing time while Spires was the starter the last two years.

Yes he is a LDE and you may not want to overpay for it.  But at this point do you see a RDE worthwhile pursuing?  With the way things are going most (if not all) of the "RDE's" (elite pass rushers) will be tagged.  Grant seems to be off the market now as well as Freeney.

#55 : February 19, 2007, 08:40:21 PM

well now that freeney and grant are gone I say to trade rice re-sign white, buchanan, and alstott and then draft Jay Moore DE | (6'4", 275, 4.77) | NEBRASKA in the 2nd round

#56 : February 19, 2007, 08:50:44 PM

well now that freeney and grant are gone I say to trade rice re-sign white, buchanan, and alstott and then draft Jay Moore DE | (6'4", 275, 4.77) | NEBRASKA in the 2nd round

No way he replaces Rice's production.

#57 : February 19, 2007, 10:04:08 PM

Do you think that White is worth say, half of that ? Is he half the player that Grant is ?

Doesn't matter what we think, White and his agent think he will get a big payday in FA.

It will be difficult to re-sign him.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Buccaneers Are Unlikely To Sign Dewayne White « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools