Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson v. Josh Freeman: Go With Experience? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
#15 : September 28, 2009, 04:27:32 PM

In all aspects of the game Josh Johnson is head and shoulders above Freeman and that includes picking up the offense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 28, 2009, 04:29:01 PM

In all aspects of the game Josh Johnson is head and shoulders above Freeman and that includes picking up the offense.
I heard that about JJ, how he is very confident in his abilities, espescially above the neck...he is a non-stop talker.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#17 : September 28, 2009, 04:56:37 PM

Agreed.

Isn't it obvious.

Maybe.

But I'm under no delusions that this team is headed anywhere other than a last place finish in 2009. I don't want the better quarterback now, I want the guy who's going to be better down the road. To me, that seems like an easy call for Freeman.

As for "unprepared for the NFL," you'll have a hard time convincing me he is less prepared for the NFL's level of play, coming off a year in the Big 12, than Joe Flacco was coming out of a D-1AA school last year.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 28, 2009, 05:02:52 PM

Agreed.

Isn't it obvious.

Maybe.

But I'm under no delusions that this team is headed anywhere other than a last place finish in 2009. I don't want the better quarterback now, I want the guy who's going to be better down the road. To me, that seems like an easy call for Freeman.

As for "unprepared for the NFL," you'll have a hard time convincing me he is less prepared for the NFL's level of play, coming off a year in the Big 12, than Joe Flacco was coming out of a D-1AA school last year.
If we had Rex Ryan as the dc, and the Bmore Ravens defense and power run game, I would say Jeff George could come in and be productive...it helps whenyou limit the decision making abilites required for a Bucs QB.  we cannot run, so when they start trailing, you need a QB who can think quick on his feet, and make two or three reads.  Quick release.  Speed in the event the play is deemed "unreadable", and he has to take off and gain some positive yards...not what I want exactly, but JJ has a leg up no doubt about it.  For Chrissakes...he worked with Gruden!  Gruden is TOUGH on QBs, and JJ was slated to start for Gruden by all accounts.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 28, 2009, 05:13:25 PM

This move is simple.

We already know what we have with Leftwich.  He sucks.  5 teams, 5 years.  Period.
We already know that we're "married" to Freeman.  His playing time can wait.

The front office knows this season is over.  So why not see what Johnson can do?

I, for one, am excited about it.

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#20 : September 28, 2009, 05:15:10 PM

i like johnson's attitude and overall sense of poise he brings to the bucs. He never looks ratled, and smiles alot. which can be a good and bad thing.

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#21 : September 28, 2009, 05:21:55 PM

If we had Rex Ryan as the dc, and the Bmore Ravens defense and power run game, I would say Jeff George could come in and be productive...it helps whenyou limit the decision making abilites required for a Bucs QB.  we cannot run, so when they start trailing, you need a QB who can think quick on his feet, and make two or three reads.  Quick release.  Speed in the event the play is deemed "unreadable", and he has to take off and gain some positive yards...not what I want exactly, but JJ has a leg up no doubt about it.  For Chrissakes...he worked with Gruden!  Gruden is TOUGH on QBs, and JJ was slated to start for Gruden by all accounts.

I guess the difference between me and you is that I don't care if Freeman is productive -- I want him to take snaps, make mistakes and learn. All "productive" does, at this point, is cost the team draft status and time that could be spent developing the guy who will inevitably be the starter.

There's nothing to be gained for Freeman from sitting on the sidelines and watching another green kid take his lumps ahead of him.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 28, 2009, 05:23:44 PM

i like johnson's attitude and overall sense of poise he brings to the bucs. He never looks ratled, and smiles alot. which can be a good and bad thing.

Good post.  And he always looks like he's having fun.  I wish him the best.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 28, 2009, 05:27:34 PM

Agreed.

Isn't it obvious.

Maybe.

Listen up Mrs. Freeman, playing him now is not going to speed up his development and JJ gives us the best chance to win right now since he has a better grasp of the playbook and didn't shlt himself against 3rd stringers like the other Josh, so we're rolling him with. Capiche?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 28, 2009, 05:32:05 PM

Agreed.

Isn't it obvious.

Maybe.

Listen up Mrs. Freeman, playing him now is not going to speed up his development and JJ gives us the best chance to win right now since he has a better grasp of the playbook and didn't shlt himself against 3rd stringers like the other Josh, so we're rolling him with. Capiche?
If you have lost your patience try the Red Board - the insider board has disagreements - but try to be a touch less offensive in the presentation.  No award for being rude, disrespectful... We can do better.

As for the concept - it could be the staff has decided JJ is the better choice, and I like it.  He is a very smart, capable young qb.  Can he play effectively on Sundays - I sure hope so.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MBF

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 29, 2009, 12:20:10 PM

Agreed.

Isn't it obvious.

Maybe.

If you have lost your patience try the Red Board - the insider board has disagreements - but try to be a touch less offensive in the presentation. No award for being rude, disrespectful... We can do better.

As for the concept - it could be the staff has decided JJ is the better choice, and I like it. He is a very smart, capable young qb. Can he play effectively on Sundays - I sure hope so.
This is the Red board. And what was offensive/rude? Calling the guy Mrs. Freeman was obviously a joke.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 29, 2009, 12:29:25 PM

If Freeman stinks next year it will not because he didn't play enough (or at all ) this year.  Either Freeman is that knight on his shining horse or else we are looking for anther QB in the 2011 draft.

JJ knows the playbooks, protections, and how to prepare.  He was #2 on the depth chart game days because he is better at this point.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 29, 2009, 12:33:02 PM

If Freeman stinks next year it will not because he didn't play enough (or at all ) this year. Either Freeman is that knight on his shining horse or else we are looking for anther QB in the 2011 draft.

JJ knows the playbooks, protections, and how to prepare. He was #2 on the depth chart game days because he is better at this point.
1. Knight in shining armor
2. I agree with the overall point

acacius

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 29, 2009, 12:59:06 PM

It isn't as if Freeman's going to be spending his days eating cheetos and playing madden if he isn't starting.  No, practicing with NFL players with an NFL coaching staff isn't the same as gametime experience, but the team has looked bad enough and Freeman has looked raw enough that I'm not convinced it's unreasonble for the coaching staff to worry about breaking him if they just throw him to the wolves.  If nothing else, waiting until after the bye when the schedule eases up a *little* bit shouldn't make a huge difference to his development.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson v. Josh Freeman: Go With Experience? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools