Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2007, 07:49:54 PM

Russell has a better arm, mechanics, and what not but is not close to the athlete Young is. Russell is big and hard to bring down but VY has much more quickness and speed.

Young just had "IT." People, wanted to criticize his motion, his smarts, whatever but bottom line is VY had IT, was a winner and a leader. I had no doubt he would succeed, much to the wrath of other posters. VY was the poster child for most to bash on here last year, but we know who got the last laugh now.

I think Russell is going to be good as well, but I am not sure he is better than VY. VY can just beat you so many different ways.

I will not make the same mistake with Russell that I did with Young. I totally underestimated the IT factor with Young. I think Russell showed just how good he can be by dismantling a very good ND team in the Sugar Bowl.

Russell and Young are close enough overall to call it a push. I'd be ecstatic if he were in Pewter and Red next season.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#1 : February 19, 2007, 07:42:31 PM

He had 1 impressive game and everyone jumps on his nutsackz...

Look at Vince Young. He had spectaclular year and capped off with a impressive BCS game. Result= 3rd overall selection. I wasn't big on the guy last year because i said he was a one game wonder. Boy was I wrong. Russell is the exact same a Young although I think Russell is better than Vince Young.

Russell has a better arm, mechanics, and what not but is not close to the athlete Young is.  Russell is big and hard to bring down but VY has much more quickness and speed. 

Young just had "IT."  Peopel, wanted to criticize his motion, his smarts, whatever but bottom line is VY had IT, was a winner and a leader.  I had no doubt he would succeed, much to the wrath of other posters.  VY was the poster child for most to bash on here last year, but we know who got the last laugh now.

I think Russell is going to be good as well, but I am not sure he is better than VY.  VY can just beat you so many different ways.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 19, 2007, 07:38:24 PM

Look at Vince Young. He had spectaclular year and capped off with a impressive BCS game. Result= 3rd overall selection. I wasn't big on the guy last year because i said he was a one game wonder. Boy was I wrong. Russell is the exact same a Young although I think Russell is better than Vince Young.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : February 19, 2007, 07:37:28 PM

Then you clearly weren't watching him all season.

And where the hell is this limited mobility crap comineg from? This sounds like a scout trying to get him to drop to his team in the draft.
I wasn't watching him the whole year,why would I watch LSU? im not an LSU fan im a Florida St fan. I seen him play a couple games and I wasn't impressed. It seems to me you have followed him all year long, which I doubt you did

LOL.  IF FSU had RUssell they wouldn't have been 7-6.

Russell was a very good player who had a very good season, against some of the best defenses in the land.   

The guy got better each year, showing improvement with each aspect of his game.  He is big, strong, cannon arm, smart, more mobile than given credit, a great leader and VERY coachable. 

Yeah, I am not impressed either.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 19, 2007, 07:06:35 PM

Then you clearly weren't watching him all season.

And where the hell is this limited mobility crap comineg from? This sounds like a scout trying to get him to drop to his team in the draft.
I wasn't watching him the whole year,why would I watch LSU? im not an LSU fan im a Florida St fan. I seen him play a couple games and I wasn't impressed. It seems to me you have followed him all year long, which I doubt you did

I am also a FSU fan, but that doesn't mean I can't watch multiple teams play.  I saw him play 5 or 6 times this season and he got better every game.  Couple that with the fact that he's a junior and the sky's the limit.  If he came back for his senior season he would undoubtedly be the #1 player taken.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#5 : February 19, 2007, 06:41:28 PM

IMO, all college players are over-rated coming into the draft.  They are playing against other college players that aren't good enough to be pro.  When they come to the NFL, they are playing against the best football players in the world.  If they make it in the NFL, that is saying something.

Don't get me started on the Heisman winners.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 19, 2007, 06:25:04 PM

From PFT

As we've previously written, some scouts regard Russell as another Byron Leftwich:  Big arm, limited mobility.

i'm sure the teams leaking their 3rd round grade of russell are the same teams hoping he falls to them in the middle of the 1st.

as for russell, he's been getting it done against some of the best defenses in the country this year, the SEC is not the MAC.  MAC QB's have had good runs lately, but with big ben's regression, pennington's boom-or-bust seasons, leftwich's benching and frye's & gradkowski's failure to impress, the conference's star is fading. meanwhile, 2 SEC QBs played in the superbowl.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 19, 2007, 06:20:48 PM

He's no Byron Leftwich....they're way off on their thoughts on his mobility.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 19, 2007, 12:36:12 PM

From PFT

POSTED 9:24 p.m. EST; UPDATED 9:58 p.m. EST, February 18, 2007

RUSSELL TO ROUND THREE?

It's highly unlikely that LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell will drop out of the upper reaches of the NFL draft.  But some league insiders regard Russell as a guy who should be taken in the third round of the draft.

Prior to the Sugar Bowl, Russell wasn't widely regarded as a top-five pick.  Since shredding the Irish, however, most have presumed that Russell should be the first guy off of the board.

As we've previously written, some scouts regard Russell as another Byron Leftwich:  Big arm, limited mobility.

But as we've seen time and again, even if 31 teams don't view a guy as a first-rounder, all it takes is one to say "yes".

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#9 : February 19, 2007, 12:37:12 PM

He IS a bit overrated, but he was very good the entire year, except for the Florida game.

fanofdabucs

Second String

#10 : February 19, 2007, 12:59:23 PM

Where do peoplecome up with this crap. Russell played well all year, it's just the only game these bozos probably watched. Russell is a stud and is much more mobile than Leftwich.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 19, 2007, 01:19:00 PM

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 19, 2007, 01:19:21 PM

Who isn't overrated right now? That's the real question, Russell played in the toughest conference in the country against big-time defenses, he'll be fine. He's a baller.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 19, 2007, 02:52:35 PM

Yeah but this is when evefyone gets ripped apart. Thomas has short arms, Adams is inconsistent, Quinn can't win the big game, Russell is slow.....these top guys get ripped apart and people miss the picture that these guys are really, really good players.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 19, 2007, 02:55:51 PM

Yeah but this is when evefyone gets ripped apart. Thomas has short arms, Adams is inconsistent, Quinn can't win the big game, Russell is slow.....these top guys get ripped apart and people miss the picture that these guys are really, really good players.

true that
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools