Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 20, 2007, 07:21:13 PM

If Quinn plays South Carolina in the Liberty Bowl we don't hear jack about this because his last game was Quinn chewing up an SEC foe just like Kevin Kolb did. If Russell doesn't get to whip up on that craptastic ND secondary that everyone should recall Troy Smith shredding the year before then he's a mid first rounder. People weight way, way too much on the last game these guys played.

Russell was 1 TD, 3 INT's and sub 50% vs. UF.  3 TD's vs UT, but OMG 3 INTs, didn't toss a TD vs Auburn but he got 3 TD's vs La-La, 2 vs Tulane, 3 vs MSU, 3 on Ole Miss vs 0 INT's so much like Quinn when he faced low-rent foes he chewed them up and spit them out but vs better foes he was not as sharp.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#31 : February 20, 2007, 07:27:15 PM

Is that Brady Quinn?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 20, 2007, 07:28:15 PM

Mine is bigger ... where in the world are you headed Fresh - Quinn V Russell.  You want Quinn.  Fine.  There is little to feel good about past the endorsement of Weiss.  

Russell has size, strength and accuracy and played well against good competition.  So it is a push at worst.  At best he is compared to V Young, Dante Culpepper (not one of my favorites), and McNabb - favorably by some.  

Quinn reminds some of Montana type qbs, which isn't all bad, but is that just bc of ND?  And it is just a comparison made due to faded memories and history of the Irish?  Is Weiss right?  That is the question bc Quinn didn't prove anymore than Russell.  

Both have had their moments good and bad - both are good players and should do well in the NFL.  Assuming they both get better, it is projection time.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 20, 2007, 07:35:43 PM

Mine is bigger ... where in the world are you headed Fresh - Quinn V Russell.  You want Quinn.  Fine.  There is little to feel good about past the endorsement of Weiss. 

Russell has size, strength and accuracy and played well against good competition.  So it is a push at worst.  At best he is compared to V Young, Dante Culpepper (not one of my favorites), and McNabb - favorably by some. 

Quinn reminds some of Montana type qbs, which isn't all bad, but is that just bc of ND?  And it is just a comparison made due to faded memories and history of the Irish?  Is Weiss right?  That is the question bc Quinn didn't prove anymore than Russell. 

Both have had their moments good and bad - both are good players and should do well in the NFL.  Assuming they both get better, it is projection time. 
Can you tell me who had the better overall talent on D and on offense?,seriously. I don't see a Laron Landry on ND?
All im saying is that Quinn is going to be a better pro than Russell. Therefore, I'd take Quinn over Russell any day of the week.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

gone

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 20, 2007, 07:37:01 PM

Mine is bigger ... where in the world are you headed Fresh - Quinn V Russell.  You want Quinn.  Fine.  There is little to feel good about past the endorsement of Weiss. 

Russell has size, strength and accuracy and played well against good competition.  So it is a push at worst.  At best he is compared to V Young, Dante Culpepper (not one of my favorites), and McNabb - favorably by some. 

Quinn reminds some of Montana type qbs, which isn't all bad, but is that just bc of ND?  And it is just a comparison made due to faded memories and history of the Irish?  Is Weiss right?  That is the question bc Quinn didn't prove anymore than Russell. 

Both have had their moments good and bad - both are good players and should do well in the NFL.  Assuming they both get better, it is projection time. 
If we are honestly looking at them for our system then there's only 2 things to look at. They both have the physical talents.  Russel moreso than Quinn. But we already have a QB here with a strong arm and a weak brain.  We need someone who van grasp the O, make all the throws, and won't choke.  So what we need to look at is:
Intelligence (learns fast, can actually read a D, can handle the load in a Gruden system)
Psychology (choke or not, work ethic, won't get caught up in the life ala clayton)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 20, 2007, 07:51:43 PM

Biggest thing russell can't have is the long slow delivery that has been reported by some. That's a killer and will really minimize the effect of his arm ala Simms or Leftwhich.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#36 : February 20, 2007, 09:02:01 PM

Biggest thing russell can't have is the long slow delivery that has been reported by some. That's a killer and will really minimize the effect of his arm ala Simms or Leftwhich.

Have you watched him?

The guy slings the ball 60 yards with the flick of his wrist, nothing slow about that.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : February 20, 2007, 09:03:41 PM

Mine is bigger ... where in the world are you headed Fresh - Quinn V Russell. You want Quinn. Fine. There is little to feel good about past the endorsement of Weiss.

Russell has size, strength and accuracy and played well against good competition. So it is a push at worst. At best he is compared to V Young, Dante Culpepper (not one of my favorites), and McNabb - favorably by some.

Quinn reminds some of Montana type qbs, which isn't all bad, but is that just bc of ND? And it is just a comparison made due to faded memories and history of the Irish? Is Weiss right? That is the question bc Quinn didn't prove anymore than Russell.

Both have had their moments good and bad - both are good players and should do well in the NFL. Assuming they both get better, it is projection time.
All im saying is that Quinn is going to be a better pro than Russell. Therefore, I'd take Quinn over Russell any day of the week.

And you know this how?

Mr Happy Feet Quinn is the one overrated, not Russell.
 Get a little pressure on Quinn and he folds.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 20, 2007, 09:07:04 PM

Gonna agree with Ray on that one Dal.  The times I watched him he got the short quick passes off and on target.  Also, agree caradoc - Quinn does appear to be the prototypical wc qb that would fit Gruden's O.  Of course Gruden loves McNabb for his size and athletic abilities - neither one looks like a bust - neither is without potential shortcomings.  Thank goodness there is a combine.  Give the staff a chance to meet and evaluate both.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 20, 2007, 09:08:20 PM

Mine is bigger ... where in the world are you headed Fresh - Quinn V Russell. You want Quinn. Fine. There is little to feel good about past the endorsement of Weiss.

Russell has size, strength and accuracy and played well against good competition. So it is a push at worst. At best he is compared to V Young, Dante Culpepper (not one of my favorites), and McNabb - favorably by some.

Quinn reminds some of Montana type qbs, which isn't all bad, but is that just bc of ND? And it is just a comparison made due to faded memories and history of the Irish? Is Weiss right? That is the question bc Quinn didn't prove anymore than Russell.

Both have had their moments good and bad - both are good players and should do well in the NFL. Assuming they both get better, it is projection time.

And you know this how?

He cannot win the big game because the defense is awful... It takes the offense and defense to win games..Quinn cannot single handedly win games.. He doesn't have Dwayne Bowe&Craig Davis talent he has Jeff and Rhema McKnight.. Now tell me whos WR's are better? Whic team is overall better?

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#40 : February 20, 2007, 09:09:47 PM

I just think it is funny hearing some of the people come out and say he isn't smart and he is lazy, when he improved throughout his career at LSU which would tend to counter the point that he is dumb or lazy.  Also considering Brady's QB coach coming out and saying he is very coachable and will be a very good player goes against those notions as well.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 20, 2007, 09:11:03 PM

ND lost a lot of games with Quinn - were they all due to lack of ND talent?  Seems pretty unlikely.  It is great that Weiss thinks he will be a very good NFL qb.  That said Quinn's results aren't all that - yet.  We will see.

#42 : February 20, 2007, 09:15:34 PM

Russell will be a star in the NFL,  I don't think he is overrated at all.  He is only a junior and he has improved year on year thus far:

Year   ~   GP   ~   Att   ~   Yds   ~   YPA   ~   Comp %   ~   TD
2004   ~   11   ~   144   ~   1,053   ~   7   ~   50.70%   ~   9
2005   ~   12   ~   311   ~   2,443   ~   8   ~   60.50%   ~   15
2006   ~   13   ~   342   ~   3,129   ~   9   ~   67.80%   ~   28

QBs that are 6'6, 265lbs, with a little mobility and possibly the strongest arm in the NFL are rare.......definitely worth the risk IMO.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 20, 2007, 09:16:05 PM

ND lost a lot of games with Quinn - were they all due to lack of ND talent?  Seems pretty unlikely.  It is great that Weiss thinks he will be a very good NFL qb.  That said Quinn's results aren't all that - yet.  We will see.
Are you serious? You think Notre Dame has talent on the field? Put Brady Quinn on the USC Trojans im preety sure he could have won a national title. Quinn never had the stud WR nor RB like some college QB's thrived on...(Carson Palmer,Matt Leinart,Jamarcus Russell)

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#44 : February 20, 2007, 09:17:59 PM

And you know this how?

He cannot win the big game because the defense is awful... It takes the offense and defense to win games..Quinn cannot single handedly win games.. He doesn't have Dwayne Bowe&Craig Davis talent he has Jeff and Rhema McKnight.. Now tell me whos WR's are better? Whic team is overall better?

HE couldn't beat LSU scoring 14 points either.  I didn't say he had to single handidly beat teams, but he can at least look a little better.  He completed only 50% and had 3 picks against a weak ass Michigan D and was under 50% against USC as well although he did manage to go INT free.  43% against LSU who does have a good D, but what's the excuse against Michigan and USC?  You act like his WR are jokes but he had 2 first day WR starting, not to mention a proven QB guru as head coach and a pro style system suited to his game.  You act like he was playing with 3rd rate WR in an option system or something.  

Obviously LSU is the better team but I am not judging QUinn based on that one game just as I am not judging Russell on the 1 game.  Most around here know I was big on Russell before the bowl and am big on him after.  It has nothing to do with that 1 game but a couple years worth of games where I saw Russell grow and get better and better.  QUinn was hyped up the past 2 years and had good numbers overall but it seemed like he was far too inconsistent for the hype and tended to disappear in big games and especially was flustered when pressure came at him.

Russell stands in the pocket and delivers knowing he is going to take hits.  He has a much better arm.  
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools