Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#45 : February 20, 2007, 09:19:56 PM

ND lost a lot of games with Quinn - were they all due to lack of ND talent?  Seems pretty unlikely.  It is great that Weiss thinks he will be a very good NFL qb.  That said Quinn's results aren't all that - yet.  We will see.
Are you serious? You think Notre Dame has talent on the field? Put Brady Quinn on the USC Trojans im preety sure he could have won a national title. Quinn never had the stud WR nor RB like some college QB's thrived on...(Carson Palmer,Matt Leinart,Jamarcus Russell)

LOL.  That's a bold statement. 

AGain, you are severely undervaluing ND's WR core, and Weis who you said is the better coach and system.  Can't have it both ways man. 

ND defense fine, it sucked.  But Quinn had options around him on offense. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#46 : February 20, 2007, 09:32:53 PM

ND lost a lot of games with Quinn - were they all due to lack of ND talent? Seems pretty unlikely. It is great that Weiss thinks he will be a very good NFL qb. That said Quinn's results aren't all that - yet. We will see.
Are you serious? You think Notre Dame has talent on the field? Put Brady Quinn on the USC Trojans im preety sure he could have won a national title. Quinn never had the stud WR nor RB like some college QB's thrived on...(Carson Palmer,Matt Leinart,Jamarcus Russell)

LOL. That's a bold statement.

AGain, you are severely undervaluing ND's WR core, and Weis who you said is the better coach and system. Can't have it both ways man.

ND defense fine, it sucked. But Quinn had options around him on offense.
  It is great to have an opinion, good place to share it.  If you have something to back it up it really makes for great discussion.  Just bantering opinions is just that bantering.  PS If SC had wanted Quinn he would have been a Trojan - evidently they felt other qbs were better.

I personally think both qbs have great potential.  Both have skills or talents or ability (tried to cover everything) that would seem to make them appealing to the bucs.  BUT both have flaws, or perceived shortcomings.  It will be interesting. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#47 : February 20, 2007, 09:34:27 PM

ND lost a lot of games with Quinn - were they all due to lack of ND talent? Seems pretty unlikely. It is great that Weiss thinks he will be a very good NFL qb. That said Quinn's results aren't all that - yet. We will see.

LOL. That's a bold statement.

AGain, you are severely undervaluing ND's WR core, and Weis who you said is the better coach and system. Can't have it both ways man.

ND defense fine, it sucked. But Quinn had options around him on offense.
It is great to have an opinion, good place to share it. If you have something to back it up it really makes for great discussion. Just bantering opinions is just that bantering. PS If SC had wanted Quinn he would have been a Trojan - evidently they felt other qbs were better.

I personally think both qbs have great potential. Both have skills or talents or ability (tried to cover everything) that would seem to make them appealing to the bucs. BUT both have flaws, or perceived shortcomings. It will be interesting.

Not sure why you quoted me here, I pretty much agree with what you have been saying.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#48 : February 20, 2007, 09:45:51 PM

Just continuing the thought process. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

gone

Hall of Famer
#49 : February 20, 2007, 10:02:38 PM

If we are honestly looking at them for our system then there's only 2 things to look at. They both have the physical talents.  Russel moreso than Quinn. But we already have a QB here with a strong arm and a weak brain.  We need someone who van grasp the O, make all the throws, and won't choke.  So what we need to look at is:
Intelligence (learns fast, can actually read a D, can handle the load in a Gruden system)
Psychology (choke or not, work ethic, won't get caught up in the life ala clayton)
I have to point out here that dbuc and Ray, you guys both may have misinterpred me.  I wasn't intending to say that Russell wasn't smart enough or that Quinn was better on the 2 criteria I listed.  What I was driving at is that while I don't think we pick either, if we are looking at them both, then the criteria I listed is the dealbreaker/maker.
If Simms had a brain he could be a star here.  If Grads had an arm he could too. (altho he's seriously damaged goods now).  Both Quinn and Russell have the physical abilities to make all the throws.  What I think we need is the smarter and more reliable of the two.  I don't really think we need someone with Russell's arm, that would be nice, but not required -- we already have that arm.  Before the physical, we need the mental.  Smarter rather than stronger.  I'm not in a position to make a judgement on either of them in that regard, although Russell seems to perform better under pressure, even that is from a too-small statistical sample. 
So which one is smarter, that's what we need to know.  If you're picking one, go brains.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#50 : February 20, 2007, 10:09:22 PM

"can handle the load in a Gruden system" is the part that is critical - and I don't know how they are going to be able to tell this.  The load that occurs on the field, taking all that info and looking in the right spot to make the right throw - we will see.

Sorry about the misunderstanding caradoc - I thought you were saying of the potential draft choices wasn't too smart..

Personally, if I was making the choice I would take the physical specimen.  Russell looks like all that and a bag of chips when he is standing in the pocket looking OVER the O and D lines to make his throws.  I loved his presense the times I watched him play.

fanofdabucs

Second String

#51 : February 21, 2007, 12:16:02 AM

I hope TB doesn't get Russell or any other QB.. If we did draft a QB it should be Quinn he would be a nice fit in the WCO
But if Joe thomas and CJ are off I rather go D

You admit to not seeing him play and you hope TB doesn' t draft him? Russell will most likely be picked by the Raiders, if not the Lions and if not, someone will probably trade up to get him.

Had you watched this guy play 5-7 games this year, you'd probably feel the same way that most every NFL scout does and that he shoudl be a top 5 pick and the first QB taken.

Me, I hope the Bucs take Joe Thomas if he's there, if not I hope they can trade down and draft defense.  But if the draft goes Johnson 1, Thomas 2 and the Bucs are sitting there in position to draft Russell, it would be pretty hard for Gruden to not pull the trigger on a possible franchise QB.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#52 : February 21, 2007, 02:39:17 PM

Wich we dont curently have!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#53 : February 21, 2007, 04:37:00 PM

Nobody should argue against Notre Dame's WR's.  If you want to argue for Quinn, his offensive line is the way to go.  They were terrible! 

gone

Hall of Famer
#54 : February 21, 2007, 08:42:49 PM

I've finally decided on my preference of the two: Russell

After a long review of their play and stats, I found the dealbreaker.  If Quinn is our QB, it means another Karen-Crush on a cute white player.  I couldn't handle that, so I vote Russell!!!!

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#55 : February 21, 2007, 08:44:10 PM

I've finally decided on my preference of the two: Russell

After a long review of their play and stats, I found the dealbreaker. If Quinn is our QB, it means another Karen-Crush on a cute white player. I couldn't handle that, so I vote Russell!!!!
lol omg

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Russell Overrated ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools