Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeney got franchised « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : February 19, 2007, 08:25:48 PM

this reinforces my recommendation to save the big spending for next offseason.

it doesn't work like that, you can't save money for the next year.

That's not necessarily true.   I think I get what he's saying.   I believe he's saying that the Bucs shouldn't sign marginal guys for big bucks and long contracts this season.    If they do, that money will carry over into next year's salary cap as well.   If they sign guys to one year deals, no problem.   But if they sign guys for multiple year deals, this might not be the best year to do that.   I agree that teams are going to overpay this year and that next year should be a better time to invest in long term free agents.

That's the way I see it Java.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : February 19, 2007, 10:09:26 PM

Thing is the same effect is gonna get repeated next year.

Sign a few S's and an OG and that is about all you are gonna do this year. There are plenty of both in FA.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#17 : February 19, 2007, 10:54:41 PM

because of the jump in salary cap and expectedly larger contracts looking forward, you can expect just about any good player to be franchised. Franchise tag = discount now.

Which is really weird to me; this year's salary cap increase is one of the smallest ones in recent past.  It was hard wired into the last labor agreement that this season would be a specific amount, a 7M increase.  Last year's increase was more than that, and next year's will be too.

Perhaps a lot of teams planned ahead of this offseason, and that's why even 25M surplus puts teams in the middle of the pack.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#18 : February 19, 2007, 11:31:16 PM

it figures.but heck we all knew this would probably happen.we still have rice.plus have th opportunity to draft someone who might be just as good in okoye.as for saving the cap room for next year what for?so we can suck again this year and hope we get some better values down the road.bruce is built for this.plus after reading up on some of the scouts we have and the article on mark dominik i have no doubt that we will do just fine.they have a plan for every scenario out there and then some.stuff like we would not be able to put together.so why all the worrying.you guys act like browns fans.who as we all know have no hope.so buck up and trust in bruce and the boys.they will get it done.with or without all those sexy names in fantasyland.

#19 : February 19, 2007, 10:58:24 PM

Sign a few S's and an OG and that is about all you are gonna do this year. There are plenty of both in FA.

Or maybe strengthen through trading.  A 4th or 5th round draft pick probably will not get you a starter in the draft, but it might get you a Jerry Porter or David Carr type player in a trade.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 19, 2007, 11:45:28 PM

Or maybe strengthen through trading. A 4th or 5th round draft pick probably will not get you a starter in the draft, but it might get you a Jerry Porter or David Carr type player in a trade.

A great way to spend day 2 picks (that we haven't been very successful with lately) as well as use free cap space without adding potential penalties in the form of signing bonuses.

#21 : February 20, 2007, 07:41:12 AM

NFL live just reported that Dungy has franchised freeney

I hope they have fun trying to fit their 4th big contract in that cap!!!

Their free agency offically ends and they will lose a lot of players....my guess they will regreat that move for years to come

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 20, 2007, 08:48:23 AM

That's not necessarily true.   I think I get what he's saying.   I believe he's saying that the Bucs shouldn't sign marginal guys for big bucks and long contracts this season.

I'm with that Java and agree. D White is a player that fits this....

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 20, 2007, 09:23:48 AM

Ok let me reclarify me question.
Why is it that almost if not all the players being franchise play on DEFENCE.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 20, 2007, 09:57:55 AM

Ok let me reclarify me question.
Why is it that almost if not all the players being franchise play on DEFENCE.

Because it is defensive players that make up the bulk of the top-end FA's this year. The highest rated offensive players on the market are OG's and Wr Drew Bennett.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 20, 2007, 11:21:55 AM

this reinforces my recommendation to save the big spending for next offseason.
Could you clarify that for me? I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

overspending this offseason means overpayment of booger mcfarlandcharlie garner proportions in my mind. i tend to think players' values will be more realistic next offseason, when more desperate teams who are just as flush with cash take the plunge on a few FA blunders and have their cap tied up in a way we don't.....if we focus on the draft and role players this offseason, and maybe 1 truly elite player, we'll have more room than those guys who committed elite money to average starters.

i think it's an indicator of current market forces that the saints feel that it's in their best interests to sign charles grant to a top 5 DE salary and that the kid from detroit is being considered for a franchise tag....compare that to the guys who got tagged last  year, who could at least be talked about as being among the 10 best at their position.

i also think the current market makes keeping (and even extending) simeon rice look like a bargain. he won't make it through this offsesaon remaining the holder of biggest contract in the NFL
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeney got franchised « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools