Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice's value................. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 19, 2007, 09:25:26 PM

The question then becomes 'will he stay healthy and produce for two more years ?'

That is the problem.  Rice may be able to produce in 2007 but what about 2008? ???

#31 : February 19, 2007, 09:25:44 PM

I wouldn't mind signing him to an extension (if healthy), however the value of the extension would be set by the current market, so would likely be extremely large and risky.  This, combined with all the draft-day and trade-deadline hype lead me to believe that the Bucs will pull the trigger if they get a decent offer (2nd?).

Fortunately, the dearth of DE talent in FA happens to coincide with a very deep draft class at DE.

Wouldn't be cheaper to tag him next year ?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 19, 2007, 09:28:03 PM

I wouldn't mind signing him to an extension (if healthy), however the value of the extension would be set by the current market, so would likely be extremely large and risky. This, combined with all the draft-day and trade-deadline hype lead me to believe that the Bucs will pull the trigger if they get a decent offer (2nd?).

Fortunately, the dearth of DE talent in FA happens to coincide with a very deep draft class at DE.

Could be, depending on what happens with all the DEs tagged this year (whether or not they end up signing big long-term contracts, or if they are back on the market next year).

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 19, 2007, 09:29:45 PM

I wouldn't mind signing him to an extension (if healthy), however the value of the extension would be set by the current market, so would likely be extremely large and risky. This, combined with all the draft-day and trade-deadline hype lead me to believe that the Bucs will pull the trigger if they get a decent offer (2nd?).

Depends on what money the DE's are given this year I believe.

#34 : February 19, 2007, 09:33:28 PM

Depends on what money the DE's are given this year I believe.

Right, and the advantage of that is the average price stays about the same next year when they all are FA's again.

#35 : February 19, 2007, 09:35:14 PM

I just don't get it !!!   He has one year left. If healthy expect 8-10 sacks &  4-6 forced fumbles.   If he was on another team we would be saying...>>> Let's get Rice for a second rounder<<<<<

This guy takes exceptional care of his body...sure, injuries happen but it is not for a lack of conditioning.  How quickly did we forget that on that first game against Carolina, it was him the one that started the comeback.  I feel that he still has the ability to change the outcome of a game...I also don't understand the theory of...If we do not trade him now, we will not get anything in return...well, you actually do- You get a full year of his services, a player that has an NFL track record....Could we get a third rounder for him ? Probably...Will he start next year ? Probably not.... Could the third rounder be a bust ? Possibly.....

I know that Rice is somewhat arrogant..& that he makes a lot of dough....but if most of us were in his place, we would probably accept the money thrown our way......

Rice will be back in 2007 with double digit sacks.....I hope he plays for Tampa Bay !

GenBrooks55

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#36 : February 19, 2007, 09:54:31 PM

I just don't get it !!!   He has one year left. If healthy expect 8-10 sacks &  4-6 forced fumbles.   If he was on another team we would be saying...>>> Let's get Rice for a second rounder<<<<<

This guy takes exceptional care of his body...sure, injuries happen but it is not for a lack of conditioning.  How quickly did we forget that on that first game against Carolina, it was him the one that started the comeback.  I feel that he still has the ability to change the outcome of a game...I also don't understand the theory of...If we do not trade him now, we will not get anything in return...well, you actually do- You get a full year of his services, a player that has an NFL track record....Could we get a third rounder for him ? Probably...Will he start next year ? Probably not.... Could the third rounder be a bust ? Possibly.....

I know that Rice is somewhat arrogant..& that he makes a lot of dough....but if most of us were in his place, we would probably accept the money thrown our way......

Rice will be back in 2007 with double digit sacks.....I hope he plays for Tampa Bay !

GenBrooks55
Totally agree!

gone

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 19, 2007, 10:04:57 PM

I just don't get it !!!   He has one year left. If healthy expect 8-10 sacks &  4-6 forced fumbles.   If he was on another team we would be saying...>>> Let's get Rice for a second rounder<<<<<

This guy takes exceptional care of his body...sure, injuries happen but it is not for a lack of conditioning.  How quickly did we forget that on that first game against Carolina, it was him the one that started the comeback.  I feel that he still has the ability to change the outcome of a game...I also don't understand the theory of...If we do not trade him now, we will not get anything in return...well, you actually do- You get a full year of his services, a player that has an NFL track record....Could we get a third rounder for him ? Probably...Will he start next year ? Probably not.... Could the third rounder be a bust ? Possibly.....

GenBrooks55
Totally agree!

It has nothing to do with his personality.  Personalyy I like the cat and what he says.  The problem is you are looking at the tail end of his carreer, and no guarantee that he's gonna come back into form.  Likely he'll do well enough next year, but after that it's a crapshoot.  The point of "If we do not trade him now, we will not get anything in return" is that that is how you build a consistent winner.  By not holding onto guys too long.  Get something for them before the window closes.  If you get nothing you have to either pay out the nose year after year for a solid FA who is already good to go, or you pick a replacement in the draft.  If you pick his replacement in the draft, that's just another position that you can't fill thru the draft.  Get a pick for him, and you (hopefully) get his replacement for "free" (pick-wise), whether you use that pick for another DE, or to address a different position and use the pick that would otherwise be spent there on his replacement.  And cheaper too.  He's worth more than a third, especially with the market right now. 

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 19, 2007, 10:05:28 PM

Keep him if we cannot get a 2nd rounder. When he is healthy he is a force off the edge,we have Coyer so lets see what he does this year.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 19, 2007, 10:43:15 PM

Are you guys thinkin straight? ??? White will most likely test FA and then you guys want to trade away the only other pass rusher we have. Even if we were to draft another DT or DE do you guys really want 3 rookies starting on the d-line?

I'm with ya ... I think if White does get away [which sounds like it's gonna happen] I believe Rice as more value remaining a Buc - even if only one more year.  The chances we walk away with 2 DE's on the first day are pretty slim to none.  Keeping Rice puts us with a more real possibility in that we draft one this year and if we don't find one in FA this year or next, we will be in position to then draft a replacement next year. I for one wouldn't like to see two rookie ends hitting that "wall" come week 13 leaving us with no to little pass rush from our ends. The only wildcards we got that are still unknown are Haye, Bennet and Jenkins-but I'm not to confident any of them can step into a full time starting role.

T

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 19, 2007, 10:57:15 PM

With Freeney and Grant gone, the Bucs will keep Rice. I'd rather have Rice than an unknown like Adams or Anderson.

#41 : February 19, 2007, 11:01:03 PM

But T, I'm not sure that would inhibit the Bucs from taking one of them in the draft or another DE at 2a.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 20, 2007, 10:04:42 AM

White trade value has just gone through the roof if we can get a late 1st round pick for him then trade him. Lets stop thinking short term and start thinking long term. Who know maybe Vick will convince the Falcons to get him. From Vick perspective it is eaier to run with Rice then run away from Rice

Shag

Pro Bowler

#43 : February 20, 2007, 10:14:17 AM

Trade Rice. The guy will go where the money is next year. We need to get something for him now because we're rebuilding. If the Bucs really like Thomas, put our 3 or 4 with Rice and get their 2.

#44 : February 20, 2007, 10:19:04 AM

Now that Grant is making around $ 8.66 mil and the DE market is almost dried up, Rice's value has to have shot way up. Look's like he is going to make less than the average of the top 5 DEs.

Keep him or trade him ?

I would love to see if we could get a  second rounder out of him with Detroit....Imagine

1-3rd- CJ
2-2nd-Rufus Alexander
2-3rd-Charles Johnson
2-Last-Fred Bennett
3-3rd-Marcus Thomas
4-3rd-Aaron Rouse
5-3rd-Dan Mozes
7-3rd-Marquay Mcdaniel
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice's value................. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools