Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice's value................. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#75 : February 20, 2007, 11:29:56 AM

That scares me.

According to Roy cummings ( :P) the Bucs view this as a 7 player draft at the top.

If that is the case (which it probably isn't) the Bucs won't risk trading down that far for fear of missing out on an elite player. They may choose to stand pat and draft their top defensive player at #4 overall if Thomas and CJ are gone.

#76 : February 20, 2007, 11:31:07 AM

You have to be careful of that philosphy at the same times. How far down can you trade and still get the play you want? IMO, you're taking a chance on someone coming up a snatching Okoye away from you if you trade down too far. Sure we might be able to swap with Minny for the 7th if CJ is there, or swap with Houston for the 8th if Peterson is available. But who's to say Okoye is there at 7 or 8 if some team trades up to take him at 6 or 7?

That scares me.

That's the point and that would be a time to reach for a top 10 guy if you have a top 5 pick. That can be a fairly substantial reach though.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#77 : February 20, 2007, 11:31:25 AM

Cummings.......must be gospel.LOL

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

acacius

Hall of Famer

#78 : February 20, 2007, 11:36:42 AM

You have to be careful of that philosphy at the same times. How far down can you trade and still get the play you want? IMO, you're taking a chance on someone coming up a snatching Okoye away from you if you trade down too far. Sure we might be able to swap with Minny for the 7th if CJ is there, or swap with Houston for the 8th if Peterson is available. But who's to say Okoye is there at 7 or 8 if some team trades up to take him at 6 or 7?

That scares me.

Well, Okoye is the guy I want, but I'd be pretty happy with Adams or Anderson as well.  The Bucs wouldn't be able to afford to trade *too* far down (no lower than #9, imo), but at least one of those guys ought to be available there.  And if they aren't, well, that means someone else fell who shouldn't have, so it wouldn't be a total wash.  For example, I'm not in love with Quinn at #3/#4 overall, but he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize at #9 if there were a run on dlinemen.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#79 : February 20, 2007, 12:26:26 PM

For informational purposes I think I read that a franchised player gets the average of the top 5 players at his position OR a 20% pay rise whichever is the greater.
Therefore if you continuously tag a player his salary is going to bloat to very obscene in no short time at all.

#80 : February 20, 2007, 12:28:56 PM

For informational purposes I think I read that a franchised player gets the average of the top 5 players at his position OR a 20% pay rise whichever is the greater.
Therefore if you continuously tag a player his salary is going to bloat to very obscene in no short time at all.

That is correct. But I can see scenarios where a 20% increase would be a good deal for the team.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#81 : February 20, 2007, 12:37:08 PM

You have to be careful of that philosophy at the same times. How far down can you trade and still get the play you want? IMO, you're taking a chance on someone coming up a snatching Okoye away from you if you trade down too far. Sure we might be able to swap with Minny for the 7th if CJ is there, or swap with Houston for the 8th if Peterson is available. But who's to say Okoye is there at 7 or 8 if some team trades up to take him at 6 or 7?

You can take the risk out of a trade down but the team trading down could lose some value for the trade.
here is an example of what can be done.

First with the third pick in the draft Bucs go ahead and select CJ. if okoye is still available and Minny wants CJ the Bucs could do a trade at that time with Minny for their pick.

The Bucs say ok Minny you want to pry CJ from us you give us your pick now plus your 2nd and next years 1st and you can have CJ.

This does put a lot of pressure on Minny while giving the Bucs quiet a few options.
If Minny does not take the deal and does not draft Bucs targeted pick which in this example is Okoye then the Bucs still have the option of doing a trade with the next team down the line. If Okoye falls to number 9 the better chance the Bucs can pick up more draft pick maybe even a number 1 next year in addition to a 1st and 2nd round this year

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#82 : February 20, 2007, 12:45:11 PM

You have to be careful of that philosophy at the same times. How far down can you trade and still get the play you want? IMO, you're taking a chance on someone coming up a snatching Okoye away from you if you trade down too far. Sure we might be able to swap with Minny for the 7th if CJ is there, or swap with Houston for the 8th if Peterson is available. But who's to say Okoye is there at 7 or 8 if some team trades up to take him at 6 or 7?

You can take the risk out of a trade down but the team trading down could lose some value for the trade.
here is an example of what can be done.

First with the third pick in the draft Bucs go ahead and select CJ. if okoye is still available and Minny wants CJ the Bucs could do a trade at that time with Minny for their pick.

The Bucs say ok Minny you want to pry CJ from us you give us your pick now plus your 2nd and next years 1st and you can have CJ.

This does put a lot of pressure on Minny while giving the Bucs quiet a few options.
If Minny does not take the deal and does not draft Bucs targeted pick which in this example is Okoye then the Bucs still have the option of doing a trade with the next team down the line. If Okoye falls to number 9 the better chance the Bucs can pick up more draft pick maybe even a number 1 next year in addition to a 1st and 2nd round this year

I could see that making it less risky, but there's still the risk of Okoye being gone or no team in the Top 10 wanting to trade for CJ according to what we want.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#83 : February 20, 2007, 01:23:12 PM

Trade him if we can get a high 3rd or 2nd round offer for him

Lilmar1205

Practice Squad

#84 : February 22, 2007, 02:17:33 PM

trade him duhhhhhh he isnt worth the money and get a DE in the draft and re-sign white no matter what

OK so you think that we should trade a player that has helped us so much and done so much for us just because he isnt doing so great right now.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#85 : February 22, 2007, 02:19:08 PM

OK so you think that we should trade a player that has helped us so much and done so much for us just because he isnt doing so great right now.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

#86 : February 22, 2007, 02:40:42 PM

Rice's value has gone way up no doubt. Without him there is not much of a pass rush.

What is he worth in a trade ? The consensus on this board before all the DEs being tagged was that he was worth a high 2nd, maybe even as high as Detroit's 2nd round pick.

This is the question:

Do you trade him now because you can get more from him, or do you keep him because you can't replace his output ?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#87 : February 22, 2007, 02:56:27 PM

So you trade him, and now have to draft not one DE but two?

Makes sense if you can find two starters in the draft to play DE. You do it if you know Gaines Adams/Jamaal Anderson (first round)plus Victor Abiamiri (second) are going to give you good production from the edges.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rice's value................. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools