Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rivera Chargers LB coach « previous next »
Page: 1

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2007, 11:40:16 PM

No Cadillac, the Bears new defensive coordinator will be the Bears Linebackers coach from last year. He's an old buddy of Lovie's from back when they were together at Tulsa. Listening to all of this on Chicago sports radio this afternoon and tonight and it may get ugly. Lovie was trying to pass it all off as a "difference of philosophies and moving in different directions" blah, blah, blah. But at one point Lovie said they had the same philosophy and a reporter asked him if that was true, why is he getting rid of him and going another direction? Lovie's response was terse and he said you need to trust me as head coach that I'm putting this team in the best position to win...In other words, don't ever question me again.
Lovie basically was hoping big time Rivera would get hired somewhere else and he wouldn't have to face this PR nightmare of having to pick between his good buddy and the d-coordinator of the league's top defense and Super Bowl defense. Rivera's conference call comments obviously showed he was rather upset with the move and not the amicable split Lovie tried to portray it as.
Now that Rivera has another job, it will be interesting to see if he tells the real scoop about what happened.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 19, 2007, 11:10:07 PM

the Bears shoulda paid him

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : February 19, 2007, 11:11:26 PM

the Bears shoulda paid him

Yeah, they lost a great coach.  Now the Bears defensive coordinator is **CENSORED** Butkus' nephew.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#3 : February 19, 2007, 11:08:08 PM

Why would he want to be their linebackers coach?  That is a major demotion for someone that could have became an NFL head coach this year.

#4 : February 19, 2007, 11:02:34 PM

Was on ESPN and turns out a couple hours after saying the bears wont sign him the Chargers said come on over and he came

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771716    

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 20, 2007, 01:19:02 AM

Bah, That D was Lovie's, not Ron's.  Saying otherwise is like saying this is Muir's O in Tampa...

Rivera is lucky to be working, he may have gotten a HC gig off Lovie's coattails but he's not a star

Shag

Pro Bowler

#6 : February 20, 2007, 10:04:35 AM

Saying otherwise is like saying this is Muir's O in Tampa...

That would explain some things though.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rivera Chargers LB coach « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools