Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replace Mike Alstott with Michael Bush « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

: February 21, 2007, 12:13:03 PM

I know it's not likely we go offense with both the 1st and 2nd picks but if Bush slips to the middle or late 2nd round should the Bucs try to move up to get him?  I know he's not a fullback but Alstott was never a true fullback either.

Bush might have been the 2nd back taken had he not gotten injured.

Mike Alstott        6-1 248
Michael Bush      6-2 247

#1 : February 21, 2007, 12:15:42 PM

I know it's not likely we go offense with both the 1st and 2nd picks but if Bush slips to the middle or late 2nd round should the Bucs try to move up to get him? I know he's not a fullback but Alstott was never a true fullback either.

There are two sides to this fence:

NO ONE CAN REPLACE MIKEY

OR

JUST DAMN WELL REPLACE HIM

Ok, I am out of here before Karen logs on.   :P

Shag

Pro Bowler

#2 : February 21, 2007, 12:16:27 PM

Replacing Alstott is lower on our list than the 2nd round. More like the 6th round.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#3 : February 21, 2007, 12:19:49 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if we trade down and pick up an extra second round pick. Having a stable of good RBs is better than not. If only Caddy could ctach, then we could phase Pittman out and have a two back system with Caddy and Bush. But, selecting Bush wouldn't be about replacing Alstott. A pick like that would be strictly to add depth behind an injury prone starter.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 21, 2007, 12:21:54 PM

Bush doesn't run like Alstott used to, or does occasionally (see Shawn Springs, last year), despite the similar weights and heights.

nickerson56

Starter
#5 : February 21, 2007, 12:38:48 PM

I know it's not likely we go offense with both the 1st and 2nd picks but if Bush slips to the middle or late 2nd round should the Bucs try to move up to get him?  I know he's not a fullback but Alstott was never a true fullback either.

Mike Alstott 6-1 248
Michael Bush 6-2 247

Hell, Michael Bush may have been the 1st RB taken in the draft had he not got injured.  If he somehow manages to slip to round 3, I couldn't fault the Bucs for taking a hard look.  Other than in that scenario, I think Tampa has too many other needs to draft Bush in the first 2 rounds.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 21, 2007, 01:04:38 PM

The question is do the Bucs need another Day 1 hybrid fullback/tailback who is an average blocker and will only get 2-3 carries a game?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 21, 2007, 02:02:32 PM

Replace Alstott with a FB who is is a sledgehammer blocker. I don't care if he can catch or carry the ball a lick. No more FB's who run like RB's and are less than adequate blockers.

#8 : February 21, 2007, 02:05:13 PM

Replace Alstott with a FB who is is a sledgehammer blocker. I don't care if he can catch or carry the ball a lick. No more FB's who run like RB's and are less than adequate blockers.
Le Ron McClain would be first choice to replace him, with Justin Griffith a close 2nd.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 21, 2007, 02:10:35 PM

What's the name of the young man in bama....I'd take him in maybe the 3rd or so!

#10 : February 21, 2007, 02:25:03 PM

great thread, I love Michael Bush at the top of round 2. If he didnt get hurt he would be a top 10 pick no doubt. Even though they haave different styles, this would be the equivelant of getting Willis McGahee in round 2

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#11 : February 21, 2007, 02:33:17 PM

Bush doesn't run like Alstott used to, or does occasionally (see Shawn Springs, last year), despite the similar weights and heights.

Your right he's more elusive than Alstott. Like I said you don't draft Bush to be a FB. He's a RB, a big brusing RB with good speed and good hands(23 rec for 253 yards and a Td in 2005). Outside of the injury Bush was the Top senior RB going into last season and a darkhorse Heisman candidate.

I'd make a case for drafting him to be Cadillac' s conterpart in a two back system.

Scout's Report"

Strengths: A big, powerful and fast prospect with premier running back potential in the NFL. He possesses great straight-line speed and agility for his size. He shows good initial burst but also displays patience as a runner. His vision is excellent, and he does a very good job of changing direction in the backfield in order to hit the developing backside hole. Great feet for his size. When he runs with adequate pad-level, he can run through defenders. He also has enough speed to consistently turn the corner as an outside runner. He's a versatile athlete who was recruited to play quarterback out of high school. He possesses good athleticism and hand-eye coordination. He looks smooth when catching the ball out of the backfield. Shows reliable hands and flashes the ability to pluck the ball on the run, as well as away from his body. He has experience working out of the slot and split out wide. Is an outstanding route-runner for a running back, especially for his size. He has ideal size and strength to handle blocking responsibility at the next level. Also shows willingness in blitz pickup.

Weaknesses: Durability is now a pressing concern following season-ending broken leg as a senior. He also missed two games (Rutgers, Syracuse) due to injury in 2005. He possesses great speed for his size, but he's not going to run away from NFL defenders as frequently as he did at the collegiate level. He lacks ideal elusiveness and will struggle to make defenders miss in space at the next level. Runs too high at times. Needs to show more consistent pad-level and also needs to add a better stiff-arm move to his repertoire. Conditioning and stamina can improve. Can use some technique work as a blocker. Has the tools to be outstanding in this facet but needs to refine angles and show more consistent leverage at the point of attack.

Overall: Bush arrived at Louisville in 2003 and played in all 13 games (four starts) as a true freshman. He carried 81 times for 503 yards (6.2 average), scored six touchdowns and caught 17 passes for 240 yards and one touchdown. In 2004, Bush played in all 12 games (three starts) and rushed for 743 yards on 132 carries (5.6 average) with seven touchdowns and added 11 receptions for 155 yards. Bush also threw a 48-yard touchdown pass vs. TCU. In 2005, Bush started eight of the 10 contests he played in and missed two games with a foot injury. He rushed 205 times for a Big East-high 1,143 yards (5.6 average) and set a Louisville school record for rushing touchdowns with 23, earning first-team All-Big East honors (coaches). He also made 21 receptions for 253 yards and one touchdown. Bush broke his leg in the 2006 season opener after carrying 17 times for 128 yards and three touchdowns and missed the remainder of the year.
As expected, Bush declined the option of returning to Louisville for his fifth-year of eligibility and has made himself available for the 2007 draft. Before the injury he was considered the premier senior running back prospect in the class. At full strength, Bush's versatility and speed for a 250-pound back are what separate him from most others at his position. However, his injury typically requires a 6-8 month recovery period, which means he won't be at full strength in enough time to work out for NFL scouts before the draft. With all those variables in mind, Bush should be selected no earlier than the second round and no later than the third round.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 21, 2007, 02:54:50 PM

Bush would be a good replacement for Pittman if he's there at the top of the 3rd.  He could handle a lot of carries, and has good hands.  He can also split wide (rocket backfield).

#13 : February 21, 2007, 03:45:49 PM

A power HB to combine with an elusive/power rusher like Caddy would be ideal. I dont think Caddy is that bad of a receiver, he just had a bad year receiving. Im not sure what M Bush's hands are like, but if he could catch the ball he would definitely be an ideal fit

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 21, 2007, 03:47:40 PM

IF we are going for another runner-type FB, I would rather have Leonard in the backfield with Caddy, rather than Bush.  Leonard is a blocking machine, can catch, is athletic, and a good short yardage/playmaking type back.  And he doesn't have health issues, either.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replace Mike Alstott with Michael Bush « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools