Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the Sophmore slump exist and Why? « previous next »
Page: 1

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

: February 22, 2007, 09:03:24 AM

We have now seen the sophmore slump happen 2 years in a row. With Clayton, Cadilac, Smith, and Buening and now we have to more sophmores to worry about this year in Trueblood and Davis.

Some say it,s the money, after the season is over these players for the first time in their lives have time, money,and more choices then they have ever had in the pass and handeling this freedome is very hard. This is a big reason why most teams do not sign contracts with the players until just before season starts.

Another theory is that rookie might get complacent. Thier goal through out life was to make it to the NFL. They look at it once you make it to the NFL you have arrived, got that free ticket especialy a high draft pick.

One last theory rookie high draft picks don't see the bench in their future. They are the man thay can walk out on to that field and get by on their superior physical attributes and intalect. They start believing their own hype. Everyone wants them every one needs them and that they are the team and if the team fails it is because other aren't doing their job and pulling their wait.

So what are your thoughts? Sophmore slump does it exist? If not Why? If so Why?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 22, 2007, 09:05:12 AM

Ask Dalbuc on this one.  He'll post you some stats about the s-slump.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 22, 2007, 09:15:24 AM

Bottom line is there is no such thing.

I wrote an article, can't find it now, on WR's and the guys who "slumped" were terrible players - Troy Edwards type players or the FredEx type guys who caught 30 passes and "slumped" to 24. The WR sophomore slump is a myth but a persistent one. I argued, at the time, that there was no slump and no reason to expect Clayton to slump and we shouldn't have. Problem is he did and that tells you, based on history, that Clayton isn't a good player ina  bad patch but a bad player.

There's clearly no such thing as a RB sophomore slump short of an injury shortened season. Edge James, LT, Ronnie Brown, Corey Dillon were all primary ball carriers in their rookie years and got better. Jamal Lewis didn't play year 2 but in year 3 he was large. Cmart dropped off from 1400 to 1150 so I'm not sure that is a "slump". Generally RB's have a short shelf life and they don't have slack years during the prime of their career.

The exception is the well noted 370 carry rule which has done a number on a lot of backs historically.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the Sophmore slump exist and Why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools