Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is going to be on Ron and Ian VERY SOON « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 22, 2007, 11:55:44 AM

A better solution would be to get rid of the 40 yard dash altogether and do the same for the benchpress. Both tests are practically worthless in evaluating a player's potential in the NFL.

Why are they worthless? You think NFL scouts run guys through these things just to punish them? They obviously think they have values.

The bigger thing is that "New Hotness 2007 Version" ain't gonna run on his college track so he best show what he can do outside his pampered bubble.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#16 : February 22, 2007, 12:07:21 PM

A better solution would be to get rid of the 40 yard dash altogether and do the same for the benchpress. Both tests are practically worthless in evaluating a player's potential in the NFL.

Why are they worthless? You think NFL scouts run guys through these things just to punish them? They obviously think they have values.

The bigger thing is that "New Hotness 2007 Version" ain't gonna run on his college track so he best show what he can do outside his pampered bubble.

What type of football metrics do you get from running in a straight line Dal, without pads on astroturf? I just think the drill is dated and has become a thing of legend or hype for the fans. Same thing with a bench press, when does a player push against a blocker or a defender with using his lower body? So the question can be asked is the bench press a measure of potential football strenght or is it just for show? You could have a lineman breaking all types of records with his reps on the bench but not be able to drive with his lower body worth crap.

Edit: I just realised that my first post may seem to defend CJ for opting out of the drills at the combine. I'm not defending him and I should have said that at the outset. You're correct, the NFL should do away these Pro Day workouts. I agree with that. At the same time the NFL would have to offer a make up date for players who are hurt or still recovering from the Bowl season.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 22, 2007, 12:13:35 PM

A better solution would be to get rid of the 40 yard dash altogether and do the same for the benchpress.

These guys disagree with you:

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#18 : February 22, 2007, 12:19:02 PM

A better solution would be to get rid of the 40 yard dash altogether and do the same for the benchpress.

These guys disagree with you:

Right on time DTG! LOL!

Dal, the point I was trying to make was that if possible the NFL should curtail those two drills, because they seem to make or break a player, but provide the least amount of data concerning football potential or metrics. By doing this and sticking to the position specific drill maybe less players would get gun shy and cop out.

BucLord

Starter

#19 : February 22, 2007, 12:20:15 PM

Well, what did he say??.. I missed it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

#20 : February 22, 2007, 12:25:15 PM

I'm hearing the Raiders are going to trade out with the Texans.. Carr to Oakland and Houstons 2nd to swap with Oakland were the Raiders will take Adrian Peterson and the Texans taking Calvin Johnson #1

Where are you hearing that? The Raiders have a nice bit of $$ tied up in Lamont Jordan and many holes.... why would they do that?

Shag

Pro Bowler

#21 : February 22, 2007, 01:57:28 PM

Coaches and GM's wouldn't be sitting there taking notes on these things if they were worthless.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 22, 2007, 02:01:41 PM

I'm hearing the Raiders are going to trade out with the Texans.. Carr to Oakland and Houstons 2nd to swap with Oakland were the Raiders will take Adrian Peterson and the Texans taking Calvin Johnson #1

Where are you hearing that? The Raiders have a nice bit of $$ tied up in Lamont Jordan and many holes.... why would they do that?
If that were to happen the Texans would most certainly draft Joe Thomas or a QB.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 22, 2007, 02:02:15 PM

Dal, the point I was trying to make was that if possible the NFL should curtail those two drills, because they seem to make or break a player, but provide the least amount of data concerning football potential or metrics. By doing this and sticking to the position specific drill maybe less players would get gun shy and cop out.

Outsiders might make too much of those things but I'm sure the NFL types know how to use that info. Their concern that you or I freaks out about someone's 40 time is likely low.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#24 : February 22, 2007, 02:27:33 PM

Outsiders might make too much of those things but I'm sure the NFL types know how to use that info. Their concern that you or I freaks out about someone's 40 time is likely low.

But, I don't know how many times I've heard coaches, GMs and analysts alike say that they don't put as much value into forty times and bench presses as people think. I guess it has some weight in the draft process, but it seems like so much empahsis is put on these two drills by the 'media' that players opt out of participation at the combine.

I know for a fact that you and I both agree that Bucs need 'quick twitch' players. Guys who accelerate and change direction quickly and with explosion. Or at least I think I recall having a similair discussion with you about these things in the last year or two. My thoughts are that if the average fan can deduce that the 'quick twitch' type drills are better indicators of potential, franchises must have figured out the same years ago. So why not change the format?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 22, 2007, 02:38:50 PM

I know for a fact that you and I both agree that Bucs need 'quick twitch' players. Guys who accelerate and change direction quickly and with explosion. Or at least I think I recall having a similair discussion with you about these things in the last year or two. My thoughts are that if the average fan can deduce that the 'quick twitch' type drills are better indicators of potential, franchises must have figured out the same years ago. So why not change the format?

That's why for almost every player my biggest concerns are short shuttle, long shuttle, 10 yards split, 20 yard split and then 40 yard split. People watch too much about the overall 40 time ignoring that almost no one runs 40 yards in an NFL game. The acceleration and quickness measures mean a whole lot more to me than anything else.

The format includes all those measures, the fact that the 40 is the only thing most folks understand is why it gets so much hype.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson is going to be on Ron and Ian VERY SOON « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools