Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are so many people high on Jake Locker? « previous next »
Page: 1

ALong13

Pro Bowler
: October 30, 2009, 02:25:27 PM

Everyone in Tampa seems to dislike Freeman, but Locker is considered a very good shot of getting the #1 pick, with similar statistics

Through 8 games (of his junior year) he has 1968 passing yards, 12 TD, 8 INT, completion percentage of 56.2 % with 4 rushing touchdown on 75 carries for 197 yards

Freeman through 8 games (of his junior year) had 2224 passing yards 15 TD 5 INT, 61.3 % completion percentage with 13 rushing TD on 67 carries for 286 yards.

Washington may have had a few harder games, but they have a much better coach staff, more talent, yet they are still 3-5, while Freeman was 4-4...

So why are so many people high on Locker? Somebody please explain!

Draper

Starter

#1 : October 30, 2009, 02:27:27 PM

Tools. The arm, the athleticism, etc.

He won't go #1 overall but I could see him go top 10 because of a team like Seattle taking a local product or because of the hype.

ALong13

Pro Bowler
#2 : October 30, 2009, 02:31:02 PM

Yeah, But Freeman has a big arm too, can still run the ball much better, but if we would have had the #1 pick, and selected him, they would have raised Cain over it...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 30, 2009, 03:08:24 PM

8+ picks and an under 60% completion rate spells bust 9 out of 10 times.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 30, 2009, 07:30:21 PM

Im telling you guys, this guy is freakin good. He has zero I mean zero talent around him. His WR suck, his OL sucks. UW is the same team it was last year with a new coach. He will make this team borderline bowl eligible.

I hate UW and really hate Jake, and I wasnt sold on him being an NFL QB. But hes been successful in a pro style offense, has a great cannon. Would he fit better in a spread to use his running ability? Of course. But Sark is smart hes getting him ready for the NFL. And I was at the Oregon UW game last week. His one pick was on 4th and 2 trying to get a TD and made the throw on the runn because of pressure. The other INT was one of Oregons CB Cliff Harris who blew his assignment to help the other CB out. A great play by the CB.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 30, 2009, 07:31:15 PM

Yeah, But Freeman has a big arm too, can still run the ball much better, but if we would have had the #1 pick, and selected him, they would have raised Cain over it...

Locker can run the ball better. Freeman had a lot more talent around him.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 30, 2009, 07:33:47 PM

He won't go #1 overall but I could see him go top 10 because of a team like Seattle taking a local product or because of the hype.

The guy is overhyped by UW honks every year. But Ill take him over Tebow easily and McCoy. Maybe not Bradford. Sark has him in the same offense as Sanchez last year, hes better than Sanchez at this time.

Draper

Starter

#7 : October 30, 2009, 08:09:45 PM

The guy is overhyped by UW honks every year. But Ill take him over Tebow easily and McCoy. Maybe not Bradford. Sark has him in the same offense as Sanchez last year, hes better than Sanchez at this time.

Agree on all accounts.

I'd draft him in the 2nd and put him at safety to be honest. He could be a force on D too.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 30, 2009, 08:22:09 PM

Like other said, he's a physical specimen....and he's mobile!!!!!!!! Other than that he's really the Josh Freeman starter kit where you can excuse his maudlin stats because of the poor talent (and even people are are not hopeless Pac10 homers like OBF will say that). When I watch him play I see a guy who is pretty spare and who I have the same reation to that I had to Josh Freeman - a guy I had no thought was an R1 pick wtahcing him play either.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 30, 2009, 08:26:58 PM

Like other said, he's a physical specimen....and he's mobile!!!!!!!! Other than that he's really the Josh Freeman starter kit where you can excuse his maudlin stats because of the poor talent (and even people are are not hopeless Pac10 homers like OBF will say that). When I watch him play I see a guy who is pretty spare and who I have the same reation to that I had to Josh Freeman - a guy I had no thought was an R1 pick wtahcing him play either.

I wasnt sold on Sanchez, Im definately more sold on Locker. And he has Sark teaching him. You put Locker on a team with talent hes getting Heisman trophy attention.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#10 : October 31, 2009, 08:32:56 PM

Im telling you guys, this guy is freakin good. He has zero I mean zero talent around him. His WR suck, his OL sucks. UW is the same team it was last year with a new coach. He will make this team borderline bowl eligible.

I hate UW and really hate Jake, and I wasnt sold on him being an NFL QB. But hes been successful in a pro style offense, has a great cannon. Would he fit better in a spread to use his running ability? Of course. But Sark is smart hes getting him ready for the NFL. And I was at the Oregon UW game last week. His one pick was on 4th and 2 trying to get a TD and made the throw on the runn because of pressure. The other INT was one of Oregons CB Cliff Harris who blew his assignment to help the other CB out. A great play by the CB.

Exactly. Locker is on a god awful team, lets not forget they were winless in 2008. He was a suprise recruit to Washington under Ty Willingham, some big time schools were knocking on the door for him. He is a great player, fantastic athlete, strong arm, very mobile.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 01, 2009, 10:42:31 PM

I don't get to see much PAC 10 ball, so I've only seen this kid a few times total. Remember he was super hyped his freshman year and showed some nice athleticism. Now, when I saw him this year I gotta say I was pretty impressed. Hard for me to say how poor his talent is around him cause I saw him play ND who doesn't have a whole bunch of athletes on defense. He looked solid to me. Accuracy may be a little better than his stats indicate. Seems to have good anticipation, and a good catchable ball. Like OBF, he definitely impresses me more than McCoy, and probably more than Tebow unless some staff thinks they have the key to fixing his screaming flaws. Bradford is tough to evaluate; Locker definitely has him in the toughness category at this point, but Bradford has that amazing year from last year to lean on. I think next year is going to be like 04, at least four guys go in the first, maybe more.

From a Bucs perspective, I HOPE one of these guys separates themselves in the bowl season/predraft process. That way our top 3 pick looks more attractive for a trade down.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why are so many people high on Jake Locker? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools